Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Winslow Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I have been here before recently. My wife had an affair that i discovered and busted up. She admitted to an EA but denied anything physical. Text messages and phone records confirmed this. So we spend the next 4-6 weeks working on our marriage and things are going great until this past weekend. I am in KC with some friends for the weekend and my wife is at home by herself. She goes out to the bars and comes home with a female co-worker. They slept in our bed together. I found this disturbing and my wife blew it off as normal for girls sometimes. I didnt buy this so i messaged another girl that was with them and voiced my concern, asked her to tell me if my wife has something going on with this girl she brought home. She convinced me it was nothing and that was the end of our convo. About an hour later my wife calls me and is LIVID. How dare I contact her friend and ask if she is a lesbian, how perverted is my brain that it would ever cross my mind, etc. She tells me this is the last straw and she is done for real this time. I have tried talking to her since then and her anger level is unreal. This all happened this past weekend (sunday). We had an appointment with our marriage counselor the following day in which my wife explained how far gone she is and is not interested in any more talk about our marriage because its over. Wanted only to talk about moving on and how to co-parent our daughter, etc. Marriage counselor is pro-marriage and is trying like hell to calm my wife down but she will have none of it. Marriage counselor asked us to swparate under one roof. Sleep in separate rooms, avoid discussion about anything except our daughter. So we met with our MC again today and my wife is still level 10 pissed off and adament about divorce. She has an entire audience of women backing her (mom, sister, aunts, co workers, friends, you name it) and is riding this wave of anger, using it as confidence to go through with the divorce she has been wanting for a while but hasnt had the courage. MC asked us to continue the separation under one roof (instead of either of us moving out, which we have both been advised not move out by atty's anyway). Since monday my wife has interviewed with 3 attys and has another to talk to on friday. I have a friend that is a divorce atty that I plan to retain if I am served papers.

So right now Im in a holding pattern. My wife is doing her level best to maintain her elevated hatred of everything about me, plowing ahead with attorneys and I expect her to file any day now.

I have been keeping my distance, not following her around and apologising or anything. I have told her I am deeply sorry for all the pain I have caused, I own the majorty of the problems in our marriage, and I intend to relentlessly pursue these issues and do everything in my power to become a better man and husband. I begged her to put the brakes on the divorce train for just a minute and let cooler heads prevail. She saw this as me trying to take wind out of her sails and kill her drive towards divorce and was not at all willing to listen nor has she been willing to talk about anything other than asset distribution and child related topics.

Im stuck here and I really need the help of the pro's on this board and I need help fast!!

Last edited by Winslow; 08/24/16 04:11 PM.
S
S
Originally Posted by Winslow
I have been here before recently. My wife had an affair that i discovered and busted up. She admitted to an EA but denied anything physical. Text messages and phone records confirmed this. So we spend the next 4-6 weeks working on our marriage and things are going great until this past weekend. I am in KC with some friends for the weekend and my wife is at home by herself. She goes out to the bars and comes home with a female co-worker. They slept in our bed together. I found this disturbing and my wife blew it off as normal for girls sometimes. I didnt buy this so i messaged another girl that was with them and voiced my concern, asked her to tell me if my wife has something going on with this girl she brought home. She convinced me it was nothing and that was the end of our convo. About an hour later my wife calls me and is LIVID. How dare I contact her friend and ask if she is a lesbian, how perverted is my brain that it would ever cross my mind, etc. She tells me this is the last straw and she is done for real this time. I have tried talking to her since then and her anger level is unreal. This all happened this past weekend (sunday). We had an appointment with our marriage counselor the following day in which my wife explained how far gone she is and is not interested in any more talk about our marriage because its over. Wanted only to talk about moving on and how to co-parent our daughter, etc. Marriage counselor is pro-marriage and is trying like hell to calm my wife down but she will have none of it. Marriage counselor asked us to swparate under one roof. Sleep in separate rooms, avoid discussion about anything except our daughter. So we met with our MC again today and my wife is still level 10 pissed off and adament about divorce. She has an entire audience of women backing her (mom, sister, aunts, co workers, friends, you name it) and is riding this wave of anger, using it as confidence to go through with the divorce she has been wanting for a while but hasnt had the courage. MC asked us to continue the separation under one roof (instead of either of us moving out, which we have both been advised not move out by atty's anyway). Since monday my wife has interviewed with 3 attys and has another to talk to on friday. I have a friend that is a divorce atty that I plan to retain if I am served papers.

So right now Im in a holding pattern. My wife is doing her level best to maintain her elevated hatred of everything about me, plowing ahead with attorneys and I expect her to file any day now.

I have been keeping my distance, not following her around and apologising or anything. I have told her I am deeply sorry for all the pain I have caused, I own the majorty of the problems in our marriage, and I intend to relentlessly pursue these issues and do everything in my power to become a better man and husband. I begged her to put the brakes on the divorce train for just a minute and let cooler heads prevail. She saw this as me trying to take wind out of her sails and kill her drive towards divorce and was not at all willing to listen nor has she been willing to talk about anything other than asset distribution and child related topics.

Im stuck here and I really need the help of the pro's on this board and I need help fast!!
This isn't about a wrongful accusation of lesbianism, though. This is a continuation of what was going on in July. Your marriage was never put right, and you haven't got to the bottom of her involvement with another man. She was in a holding pattern when she was cooperating with counselling. And now she has got the counsellor to suggest what she always wanted, which is a separation (although you cannot be separated if you still live in the house together - but what the counsellor HAS done is given her permission to act as a single woman, and to consider your marriage to be over). Traditional counselling is destructive to marriages.

How did the text messages "prove" the the affair wasn't physical? What specific words showed that it wasn't?

What makes you certain that the affair is over?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
W
Winslow Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I have two different programs on her phone. Webwatcher and Teensafe. I have every deleted text, every picture, everything you can extract from a phone. There were suggestions by both parties to meet up and there were acknowledgements that they were unable or shouldnt for various reasons. Afer reading everything there was to read i busted them both out. Wife admitted the EA. I contacted the OM and made it very clear he is to have no contact whatsoever with my wife again. I have monitored her phone since then and they have not spoken. Im tracking her car via a verizon childrens gps watch ziptied under the frame of the car. I have searched high and low for other phones/devices to no avail. Voice recorder in her car has turned up nothing. In convinced their EA is done. Maybe she is having withdrawals and missing the excitement or whatever. She threw a fit about me having access to all her accounts and reading all the texts and stuff, but has been cooperative with that ever since.

W
Winslow Offline OP
OP Offline
W
She describes her reasons for wanting out of the marriage as "10,000 paper cuts". Each one scars over and cant be erased. So much negativity in her head towards me and about me being reinforced by her army of enablers.

She went this afternoon and traded her cell phone in for a new one, switched plans, and switched carriers from verizon to AT&T. As of an hour ago I no longer have access to anything happening on her phone. She is not going to give her icloud login to me either. No way to get back in.

Last edited by Winslow; 08/24/16 05:02 PM.
M
M
As long as you are in a pretend "separation" there isn't much we can do. The mc has no earthly idea how to save a marriage and has basically given her permission to cat around like a single woman. Your marriage won't survive that. Marriage counselors have an 84% failure rate and are destructive to marriages.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
Why didn't you follow the lists of EPs after her affair? She never changed her contact information?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
Maybe you could add your experience to this thread so others can learn why traditional marriage Counselling doesn't work. Beware of Bad Counselors

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

W
Winslow Offline OP
OP Offline
W
She blocked his number from her phone, i sat there and watched her do it. Also blocked him on all social media. I saw that myself also. I have had all passwords and open access to everything ever since then and no trace of anything has surfaced. After this blow up she decided she was so humiliated she couldnt do this anymore and could never love me again. The anger level is off the chart, really.

We are really not "separated". MC wanted us to separate and I fought it hard.
Refused to move out. Told my wife if this is what she wants then she can leave. Then my wife said an atty had advised her not to leave the home. So we are co-habitating and co-parenting until further notice. Wife has been home every night so far. Nothing happening other than her talking to attys and gathering the pieces of her life in preparation for a divorce.

I need advice on how to behave towards my wife to give me the best chance of keeping our marriage together. What to say, etc.

W
Winslow Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Wife wanted to do MC several months back and had been seeing this counselor for almost a year up to that point. I agreed as a gesture of my commitment to the relationship. Wife said today she is done with MC and only wants to continue individual sessions.

W
Winslow Offline OP
OP Offline
W
How do I throw the brakes on this train????

M
M
I need advice on how to behave towards my wife to give me the best chance of keeping our marriage together. What to say, etc.

I have no earthly idea.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

W
Winslow Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Well lets break this down.

Wife wants a divorce, I dont.
She is angry at me for emptying her love bank, then going a month making deposits, and then draining it all at once. This draining is what put a fire under her to actually pursue a divorce.

Questions:

1) Is this the time for Plan A or B?

2) Should I pursue her or back off?

D
D
Can you see why Dr. Harley says no nights apart?

Can you see why you should have been out with your wife instead of your friends?

You should listen to the radio show daily so that MB concepts are more natural for you. Breaking MB policies and then hoping for a quick solution won't work.

S
S
I have been here before recently. My wife had an affair that i discovered and busted up. She admitted to an EA but denied anything physical. Text messages and phone records confirmed this. So we spend the next 4-6 weeks working on our marriage and things are going great until this past weekend.

I read through your first thread and there are so many problems in your situation, that I hardly know where to begin.

I don't believe your characterization above is correct, basically that you busted up the EA, phone records confirm "this" and you were then to the "recovery" part of MB.

1) Exposure - as was pointed out in your first thread that you abandoned, this the first step. It sounds like this was skipped altogether. That won't work. Even if the affair had died a natural death, the WS will likely stay wayward and not correct their loose boundaries. Period.

2) Snooping and transparency. Your WW knows about your snooping (GPS for instance) so I don't think any of your snooping was valid. She repeaetedly said she did not trust you because of that. This was an issue that was raised towards the end of your last thread but you abandoned that thread. You also admitted yourself on your first thread that she was using iMessage and that you could not see those messages.

Did your WW ever give you transparency? Such as passwords to all of her accounts and 100% access to her phone?

3) NC. You also said she saw OM at the gym or something. Did she send OM a NC letter? Stop going to that gym?

4) EPs. Did your WW agree to implement the EPs that are prescribed in SAA (that you said you started reading in your first thread, but you abandoned it)?

5) Recovery. Part of recovery that your WW should have agreed to when she "ended" the first affair and you guys 'agreed" to "work" on the marriage would have been, for example, spending 15-20 hrs a week together UA time and no nights apart etc. Clearly, this step was skipped.

It becomes very very difficult for folks here to help posters when they abandon their threads or do not become well versed in MB. If any of the steps 1-5 above were not completed then this is all a non-starter and you should return to the SAA form as this is still an affair/recovery issue and you would remain in Plan A until someone told you to go to Plan B (a long time for most BH).

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
S
S
So in summary....

Stop looking for a quick fix.

Stop trying to sweep huge problems/issues under the rug.

And stop looking for posters to help you bypass reading and fully understanding MB by spoon feeding you solutions.

It doesn't work. Period.

Last edited by SusieQ; 08/25/16 09:45 AM.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
S
S
Another problem that was raised in the first thread (that was abandoned) is the issue of the MC which is highly destructive to marriage. Again, this was never resolved, and now this has come back to bite you in the *&^.

If you move to R, this is something I would ask your WW to agree to as part of your recovery plan - DUMP the counselor.

We would have told you that in the first thread, but you abandoned it.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
W
Winslow Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by SusieQ
I have been here before recently. My wife had an affair that i discovered and busted up. She admitted to an EA but denied anything physical. Text messages and phone records confirmed this. So we spend the next 4-6 weeks working on our marriage and things are going great until this past weekend.

I read through your first thread and there are so many problems in your situation, that I hardly know where to begin.

I don't believe your characterization above is correct, basically that you busted up the EA, phone records confirm "this" and you were then to the "recovery" part of MB.

1) Exposure - as was pointed out in your first thread that you abandoned, this the first step. It sounds like this was skipped altogether. That won't work. Even if the affair had died a natural death, the WS will likely stay wayward and not correct their loose boundaries. Period.

Exposure was not skipped. Many things have transpired since my original thread. I exposed to several of her close friend, her mother, sister, and aunt via email all of the messages between the two of them. This is the point where her friends and family dug their heels in to support my wife. "She has valid reasons for acting this way", "she should have left you a long time ago anyway" that type stuff. They all became furious that I would go to the level of snooping and spying on my wife and see this as an outward and obvious display of my lack of love and respect. Im teling you guys, my wife has an audience of enablers and supporters that you would not believe!

2) Snooping and transparency. Your WW knows about your snooping (GPS for instance) so I don't think any of your snooping was valid. She repeaetedly said she did not trust you because of that. This was an issue that was raised towards the end of your last thread but you abandoned that thread. You also admitted yourself on your first thread that she was using iMessage and that you could not see those messages.

Teensafe picked up where Webwatcher left off. Between the two I was able to see everything, including deleted texts and messages. I have everything. I abandoned the thread because I had work to do and was clearly aggrivating the board members with my questions. Things continued to improve so I was on the right track making deposits to her love bank, and this past weekend I wrognfully accuse her of a F/F relationship and in te process took a sledgehammer to her love bank. There is nothing to that relationship and I know this without any doubt.

Did your WW ever give you transparency? Such as passwords to all of her accounts and 100% access to her phone?

Yes. I have had all of her passwords for the last month or so. Up until the point where she went to see her atty and draft papers for the D. She was advised by friends and family to kick me out of everything and that it was beyond ludacrous that I asked this of her.

3) NC. You also said she saw OM at the gym or something. Did she send OM a NC letter? Stop going to that gym?

She stopped going to the gym, sent him a message telling him to stop talking to her out of respect for our marriage.

4) EPs. Did your WW agree to implement the EPs that are prescribed in SAA (that you said you started reading in your first thread, but you abandoned it)?

No, she resisted. She maintained the position that full transparency of all her devices and accounts, plus the efforts she had made to keep him from contacting her anymore were more than sufficient and she was not willing to do any more than that. She doesnt seem to feel bad about the EA and feels I way over reacted to it. I pushed this as far as I could without driving her further away.

5) Recovery. Part of recovery that your WW should have agreed to when she "ended" the first affair and you guys 'agreed" to "work" on the marriage would have been, for example, spending 15-20 hrs a week together UA time and no nights apart etc. Clearly, this step was skipped.

We have been spending more time together, going on dates, having a great time just the two of us. I had this trip planned for a while, things were going great, and she had made plans with her girlfriends to come over to the house for tacos and wine one night. All was going well so I felt good about it.

It becomes very very difficult for folks here to help posters when they abandon their threads or do not become well versed in MB. If any of the steps 1-5 above were not completed then this is all a non-starter and you should return to the SAA form as this is still an affair/recovery issue and you would remain in Plan A until someone told you to go to Plan B (a long time for most BH).

Last edited by Winslow; 08/25/16 10:14 AM.
W
Winslow Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Another problem that was raised in the first thread (that was abandoned) is the issue of the MC which is highly destructive to marriage. Again, this was never resolved, and now this has come back to bite you in the *&^.

If you move to R, this is something I would ask your WW to agree to as part of your recovery plan - DUMP the counselor.

We would have told you that in the first thread, but you abandoned it.

If we can keep the wheels on long enough to get that far I will suggest that we dump the counselor. She really likes this lady though, so it may be difficult if not impossible without love busting.

S
S

Exposure was not skipped. Many things have transpired since my original thread. I exposed to several of her close friend, her mother, sister, and aunt via email all of the messages between the two of them.
This post is very difficult to make sense of. When you respond point by point, you need to use more "quote" features. Mark the start and end of SusieQ's statements by using [quote ] [/quote], and mark the start and end of your responses in the same way.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
W
Winslow Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I asked her this morning if I could keep DD home from daycare today (she is 2) and hang out with her, run errands today, etc.

Her reply was "I know what this is"

Then she called me crying saying I am only wanting to do this because I somehow know she went to see another atty this morning. She was saying why cant you just let me go, lets do this the easy way, etc. I told her I dont want a divorce, I love you and I want to work on our marriage. She replied that if I love her why did I track her car, stalk her, go through her phone, put these apps on her phone, etc. I explained that I did it because I am fighting for our marriage. She blew that off and got even more mad. Told me she is going for full custody of DD. I told her I want to work on the marriage and I am not having custody discussions. She seems very concerned about my motives for every breath I take. Deeply concerned about my motives for everything I say and do. Trusts me less than 0% at this point. Building her trust is what needs to happen.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 119 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation