Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Bariguy Offline OP
OP Offline
B
1.How do you introduce your different perspective?
When I did introduce one perspective, I believe I did it kindly and factually without LBs. I have since been made aware that to give any perspective is a DJ so I haven't given any others.

2. It would be capitulation for your W to stay with family she doesn't want to see. Not visiting this family member was proper POJA.
I did suggest we stay, but when W didn't want to, I suggested maybe just go to eat.
So you are saying it was not capitulation on my part to agree to not visit? I'm trying to understand.

3. What is a successful POJA to you?
My understanding of POJA is that we both state what we feel on a subject and do nothing until we come to a solution that we both enthusiastically agree on.

B
Bariguy Offline OP
OP Offline
B

Did you get a chance to do your assignment that Dr. Harley gave you? [/quote]

Sorry so long in replying.

Yes, I have been working on it daily, with some success!

M
M
Originally Posted by Bariguy
POJA to me is win win, not win lose which this is to me.

Dr. Harley talks about two types of resentment in marriage, and this is what would be going on in this situation. Here is a thread for you to check out about this:
http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2550250#Post2550250

Read through that thread and listen to the linked radio shows and see if it helps point you in a direction on this. If not, I suggest you contact Dr. Harley directly on the radio show and see what he says.

If you want to have a happy marriage, you have to avoid gaining at your wife's expense at all costs, even if that means going without something for awhile until you find an alternative you are both enthusiastic about.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
So you are saying it was not capitulation on my part to agree to not visit? I'm trying to understand.

Capitulation is doing something.

Not doing something is not capitulation.

Let's say my wife feels reluctant about me drinking alcohol, but I want to drink alcohol.

If she tells me to go ahead and drink anyway even though she feels reluctant about it, that would be her capitulating - agreeing to us doing something she doesn't like.

But if I stop drinking alcohol until and unless we find a way for me to do it that she feels enthusiastic about, that is not what Dr. Harley calls capitulation, because that is me NOT doing something, not me doing something.

Dr. Harley makes an important distinction between doing something and not doing something.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
1.How do you introduce your different perspective?
When I did introduce one perspective, I believe I did it kindly and factually without LBs. I have since been made aware that to give any perspective is a DJ so I haven't given any others.
What did you say, exactly? How did you act?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
There are two kinds of resentment: (1) Resentment due to something one of you DID to the other that was hurtful, and (2) resentment due to something you DIDN'T do for yourself that you would have liked, but would have hurt your spouse. Your husband has the first kind of resentment because you had an affair three months into your marriage. What you did hurt him. You have the second kind of resentment because you now feel obligated to avoid seeing a friend who is a threat to your husband.

I think you would agree with me that the first kind of resentment is the worst, because your husband knows you deliberately hurt him. It's no wonder he's having trouble recovering from the experience. Your poor communication may be partly due to the fact that he is still trying to recover from the shock.

The second kind of resentment, the kind you are experiencing, may be uncomfortable, but life is full of instances where we need to control ourselves for the protection of others. In other words, I'm saying that whatever resentment you may feel about not being able to see your friend is nothing compared to the resentment you would feel if your husband had indulged in an affair.

You may be right about your incompatibility, but from what you've told me so far, what is separating you is not incompatibility, but his emotional withdrawal, which is a different matter entirely. He started out on the right track, wanting to settle all decisions on a mutually agreeable basis. But I think his best intentions are being overwhelmed by the grief he is feeling from your affair a year ago. He probably would have gotten over it by now, but your effort to see another friend from your past is keeping his grief fresh. Why torment your husband with needless pain?

From your husband's perspective, if you cared about his feelings, you wouldn't see your friend. The fact that he has made his wishes clear, and you have wanted to see him anyway, is proof to him that you care more about seeing your friend than you care about your husband. My advice to you is simple: Don't have friends who make your husband uncomfortable. Follow the Policy of Joint Agreement.
Following the Policy of Joint Agreement
When You're VERY Incompatible

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
I went, with my sister, to their mother's funeral about 3 or 4 years ago. That was a major IB. I couldn't get over how much Donna and David appreciated us being there and feel I did the right thing.
You admit it was a major IB on your part, but you defend your IB as "the right thing."

Chances are, because of that, your wife will never feel enthusiastic about seeing this cousin. When you do an IB, it is up to you to reverse the IB as best as you can without expecting your wife to overlook it. Expecting her to have dinner with your cousin would be expecting her to overlook it.

Consider this letter Dr. Harley wrote to another poster on this subject:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
Your exchange began with your husband's admission that he had taken something from your car that you needed without asking for it. Clearly an example of IB. Then he called to let you know that when you started looking for it, you would know that he took it. You were upset that he would do that, as most people are when their spouses engage in independent behavior. Your husband made a suggestion that you borrow your son's for the day, which didn't make you feel any better. The "kind, considerate understanding" that your husband wanted from you didn't reflect the fact that he had taken something of yours without asking, and that he should have expected you to be upset about it. His recommended response was pure sacrificial selflessness, characteristic of the Giver. When he said that your messages lacked love, again he was expecting you to overlook his mistake and carry on in spite of it.

I would have encouraged you to approach the problem a little differently. First, it should be clearly expressed that taking your GPS was independent behavior, something that almost always triggers resentment. When someone makes that kind of a mistake, they should go to some trouble to remedy the problem themselves. Suggesting that you borrow your son's GPS make it your problem to solve. If your husband were to have asked me what to do after he let you know he had taken the GPS, I would have suggested that he return it before you had to go on your errands. He might have told me that he was too busy to do that, so I would have suggested a courier, or, perhaps, calling your son and asking him to give you his GPS for the day. In other words, your husband would clean up the mess he made. To expect you to overlook his mistake is to ignore the effect he has on you.

It should be the responsibility of the person who violates the POJA with independent behavior to reverse the decision as best he or she can without expecting the other person to overlook it.

Best wishes,
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

I thought about Donna then and knew she would really appreciate a visit and also thought it would save us $100.00 or more for a hotel if we stayed overnight. Long story short this did not go over very well with W.
Of course it didn't. You put your cousin before your wife, and defended that as the right thing to do. It would offend most women to have to then go stay at your cousin's house.

You are expecting her to just overlook your IB.

I suggested that at least we go to eat with them and spend an hour or so.

More suggestions that she overlook your IB.

We finally POJAed that we would not contact Donna on the way down but would ask for advice from the forum on how to POJA on visiting her on the way back. I have since capitulated that we will not visit her at all but I feel terrible about it. What am I supposed to do?
Find something else to do that you would both enjoy. She will not enjoy seeing this cousin. Find something else.

Last edited by Prisca; 04/12/17 10:40 AM.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
POJA to me is win win, not win lose which this is to me.

Is seeing your cousin the only thing in the entire world that will make you happy? There is absolutely nothing else that you could do with your wife on this trip that you would enjoy?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

A
A
If POJA is win-win, why are you trying to force your wife to be the loser?

You are in the habit of IB and you must break that habit to save your marriage.

Last edited by apples123; 04/12/17 11:58 AM.
B
Bariguy Offline OP
OP Offline
B
[quote=markos]Dr. Harley explains his very important concept, Type A and Type B resentment:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=3274

I listened to this segment. Our situation was not covered. He referred to a spouse doing something even though the other does not want the spouse to do it - IB. The spouse's resentment in not doing it is type B and the other's is type A. I get that when IB is involved. In our case there is no IB because we are not going to visit the cousin. W is being told on her thread that she is right to refuse to spend an hour or so with someone I would like to see if she doesn't want to. She stated she doesn't even know them as she has only met them once or twice years ago. She provided no reason or explanation as to why she cannot enthusiastically agree to visit for an hour or so and feels I don't deserve either. She makes 95+% of the decisions in our life. That's fine by me as I am probably in enthusiastic agreement at least 50% of the time, in agreement 20%, and capitulate 25-28% of the time. I have told her repeatedly that something has to be really important to me before I even bring it up. I fought with myself for at least 3 days before mentioning a visit to this cousin. I only brought it up because of the policy of radical honesty. I knew that I would be very resentful if I said nothing. Even though the visit won't happen, I at least feel I did my best. In most of our past, I was not even honest, let alone radically honest. I mostly said nothing and carried the resentment that follows. I guess I will be told my resentment is type B and that I'll get over it and I will. Is there situations where there can be type A or B for both spouses?

A
A
POJA does not require reasons. The fact that she doesn't want to is enough. You are looking for ways to invalidate her. Stop.

A
A
Type A & B resentment does apply to your situation. Type B resntment can be overcome by doing something else enjoyable. So start looking for a new activity for the time in question. T

B
Bariguy Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by apples123

I don't see the IB here. We are not visiting my cousin because she doesn't want to. How is that IB on my part? Please explain. I am not trying to force her to lose at all. I am loosing and I accept that for the good of our marriage.

B
Bariguy Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Type A & B resentment does apply to your situation. Type B resntment can be overcome by doing something else enjoyable. So start looking for a new activity for the time in question. T

That's what we will be doing. Thanks

U
U

That's what we will be doing. Thanks

If you end up doing an activity that is mutually enjoyable, how are you losing?

You are looking at this as you losing if you don't get your way (to see the cousin).

A
A

I don't see the IB here. We are not visiting my cousin because she doesn't want to. How is that IB on my part? Please explain. I am not trying to force her to lose at all. I am loosing and I accept that for the good of our marriage.

I said you are used to IB, not that situation is IB.

You say you want win-win agreements, but you seem to really want her to accept losing this time and you will lose at another time (what most people consider compromise). POJA requires a higher standard. No one is to gain at their spouse's expense.

You also seem to expect your wife to explain her feelings to you. POJA has no requirement for someone to prove they have a good reason for not wanting to do an activity. A spouse is not a child.

In the future, If you propose an activity and your wife says she is not in enthusiastic about it, the only appropriate rejoinder is "are there any circumstance in which you would be enthusiastic?" If the answer is "no," you need to drop it immediately and pursuit other plans.

A
A
You need to stop trying to correct you wife. Have you read Lovebusters yet?

B
Bariguy Offline OP
OP Offline
B

I said you are used to IB, not that situation is IB.

You say you want win-win agreements, but you seem to really want her to accept losing this time and you will lose at another time (what most people consider compromise). POJA requires a higher standard. No one is to gain at their spouse's expense.

You also seem to expect your wife to explain her feelings to you. POJA has no requirement for someone to prove they have a good reason for not wanting to do an activity. A spouse is not a child.

In the future, If you propose an activity and your wife says she is not in enthusiastic about it, the only appropriate rejoinder is "are there any circumstance in which you would be enthusiastic?" If the answer is "no," you need to drop it immediately and pursuit other plans.

I'm sorry, I don't EXPECT or WANT her to lose anytime on anything. I certainly don't look on this as keeping score. I want to find a way - come to a conclusion we are both happy with. I want only to understand POJA and what it means for both of us and how to be able to use it properly on everything we do. I need to ask questions in order to learn. I now accept that reasons are not required. She has told me this for a long time so she was right. I still don't understand why a spouse would not WANT to give a reason to help the other understand why a request or idea is being rejected but I do accept that in MB reasons are not part of it. Thanks.
I also appreciate the rejoinder you referred to '' is there any circumstances in which you would be enthusiastic'' and if the answer is no then drop it. That will save a lot of discussion time for us. This is how I learn. Thanks

B
Bariguy Offline OP
OP Offline
B
POJA does not require reasons. The fact that she doesn't want to is enough. You are looking for ways to invalidate her. Stop.

As I stated before, I am not trying to invalidate her feelings. I accept her and her feelings. If I disagree with something she says or feels or if I feel differently on a matter is that an invalidation of how she thinks or feels?

M
M
[
As I stated before, I am not trying to invalidate her feelings. I accept her and her feelings. If I disagree with something she says or feels or if I feel differently on a matter is that an invalidation of how she thinks or feels?

It is ok to feel differently, but what would you possibly disagree about unless you are trying to force her into your will? For example, you can't disagree when she is or isn't enthusiastic about something. My H and I quite feel differently about which restaurant to choose, but we don't disagree, we brainstorm until we find a restaurant we both like. Here is something i wrote a few years back:

Originally Posted by Melodylane
I hate Chinese food and my H hates Mexican. I love Mexican and he loves Chinese. So I make a compromise with him that he endures Mexican and as an "incentive" I will go suffer through Chinese with him.

Lets say we practice a "compromise" and we go for Mexican one night and Chinese the next night. That means that I will be unhappy on one night and he will be unhappy the next because we are each gaining at the others EXPENSE for one night.

This is called sacrifice aka win/lose. It leads to incompatibility and resentment. It leads to incompatibility because people won't do things that make themselves unhappy for long. I might go for Chinese 3 or 4 times and tolerate that nasty food, but pretty soon I will be finding reasons to AVOID going out to eat and he will be resentful, because people who practice sacrifice KEEP SCORE. He will be mad because I "OWE" him a Chinese night to pay for his Mexican night.

The solution recommended by Marriage Builders avoids all that. Instead of going to ANY restaurant that one spouse doesn't like, the solution is to find a restaurant that BOTH LOVE. Mexican and Chinese are completely OFF our lists. In it's place is a list of restaurants we both like. This solution builds compatibility because it ensures we are BOTH happy and no one sacrifices at the others expense.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 473 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation