Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
A
Educating your spouse is a disrespectful judgement. Stop it. It is not a part of MB.

P
P
Originally Posted by Prisca
I don't understand why, as a married couple, we cannot converse. If she complains that the car is dirty and wishes I would wash it, I just go and wash it even though I just finished doing just that?? That's what I'm hearing you say here. W thinks I'm disagreeing with you guys. I'm not. I'm trying to understand. Maybe I'm stupider than the average bear. Would saying ''Honey, I just finished doing that'' be trying to talk her out of her complaints or trying to persuade her to see things differently?
Is it okay that she thinks the car is dirty and needs cleaning even if you "finished doing just that?"

Well, is it?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

B
Bariguy Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by apples123
So...how is that different from what your wife wrote? It sounds that her statement is accurate.

It is different in the way that it was part of a discussion on capitulation. I was not demanding she do anything. I was saying that if one wants to do something and the other doesn't and there is no POJA possible, then nothing is done. I said one of us would be capitulating. I was since instructed that doing nothing is not capitulation. This was only an example used in a discussion, not an actual situation. Two weeks ago it was decided that we would NOT be visiting my cousin. Many of the posts from you guys appear to be of the understanding that I am still demanding that we visit my cousin. I am not demanding anything since we POJAed that two weeks ago.
Also on the goodwill part, it was also part of a discussion. I stated that for POJA to work, goodwill on both parts is required. I was definitely not saying that if she had goodwill towards me, she would visit my cousin or do anything else I wanted her to do that she didn't want to do. Please ask her if this is incorrect.

U
U
Originally Posted by Bariguy
So...how is that different from what your wife wrote? It sounds that her statement is accurate.

I was saying that if one wants to do something and the other doesn't and there is no POJA possible, then nothing is done. I said one of us would be capitulating.

POJA is always possible though. The 'do nothing' is not the resolution, it is the default until you reach a resolution.

If you want to visit your cousin, for example, and she does not, you do not visit the cousin (do nothing)... but you continue to POJA until you find an alternative you are BOTH happy with. The fact that you defaulted to the do nothing but did not continue to POJA to find a resolution that made you both happy, does not mean that you capitulated.

B
Bariguy Offline OP
OP Offline
B
You haven't answered my questions about your reading/studying.

I am reading and studying to a point far beyond what I thought I would be doing while on vacation because my marriage is more important than vacation.

U
U
[
Also on the goodwill part, it was also part of a discussion. I stated that for POJA to work, goodwill on both parts is required. I was definitely not saying that if she had goodwill towards me, she would visit my cousin or do anything else I wanted her to do that she didn't want to do. Please ask her if this is incorrect.

Can you define what you think 'goodwill' means? If a spouse demonstrates goodwill in POJA situations, what does this mean to you?

M
M
I stated that for POJA to work, goodwill on both parts is required. I was definitely not saying that if she had goodwill towards me, she would visit my cousin or do anything else I wanted her to do that she didn't want to do. Please ask her if this is incorrect.

If I understand correctly, when you said this, your wife felt disrespected, because it certainly did sound like you were saying she did not have goodwill toward you (and if she did she'd be doing something different, such as for example visiting your cousin).

So the problem is you need to not talk like this because it's a disrespectful judgment and a love buster.

Don't say anything that sounds like you are telling your wife how she does or doesn't feel (e.g., has goodwill or not). Don't say anything that sounds like you are educating your spouse.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
B
Bariguy Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by unwritten
[

Can you define what you think 'goodwill' means? If a spouse demonstrates goodwill in POJA situations, what does this mean to you?

To me, in reference to POJA, it means each spouse working towards a solution that both are enthusiastic about and not wanting the other to have to sacrifice to achieve it.

B
Bariguy Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by markos
I stated that for POJA to work, goodwill on both parts is required. I was definitely not saying that if she had goodwill towards me, she would visit my cousin or do anything else I wanted her to do that she didn't want to do. Please ask her if this is incorrect.

If I understand correctly, when you said this, your wife felt disrespected, because it certainly did sound like you were saying she did not have goodwill toward you (and if she did she'd be doing something different, such as for example visiting your cousin).

So the problem is you need to not talk like this because it's a disrespectful judgment and a love buster.

Don't say anything that sounds like you are telling your wife how she does or doesn't feel (e.g., has goodwill or not). Don't say anything that sounds like you are educating your spouse.

This was not the case here. Please ask her. The "visit" has been off the table for over two weeks. I was not saying she would visit my cousin if she had goodwill towards me. I was repeating, during a discussion with W on POJA, what Dr. Harley said. For POJA to work, there needs to be goodwill on the part of both parties. I may or may not have referenced the "visit" in that particular discussion. If I did, she was fully aware that it was as an example only and not a suggestion that she would go if she had goodwill toward me.

S
S
Did you do this?

Originally Posted by Barigirl
H and I spent the day separately. When he came to join me on the beach a little while ago, he was very cold and he said that I have caused the problem today because I brought up MB. He says I have done this several times during this vacation and I LB him which causes his LB's. It is true that I have brought things up because I am trying to do my assignment of telling him when things are bothering me. Except for today, I have asked him first if he wants me to share my feelings and he has said yes. Once I open up, I get LB's. A couple of days ago, I asked him if he thought we should talk about things the forum posters have been telling us. He said he definitely thought we should. A little while ago, he told me I have caused the situation today by talking about MB.
Is this a broadly accurate description of how some of your days have been, while on vacation? Have you been cold and silent to your wife on some days, and have you told her (words to the effect) that she has caused the problem by bringing up MB?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
Did you do this?

Originally Posted by Barigirl
The downward spiral continues. I don't know what to do.

H and I are barely speaking. I am moving deeply into withdrawal. He seems to be as well.

I have said maybe we should just give up and separate. H replies that is what I have wanted all along. This is not "what I have wanted all along" but he has said this a dozen times recently.

He insists that if he wants to do something and I don't, then doing nothing is him capitulating. He wants me to have "goodwill" and do this thing that is "so important to him".
Have you said (words to the effect) that when you want to do something, and your wife does not want to do it, that doing nothing is an act of capitulation on your part?

Have you asked your wife more than once to do the thing that she has already said that she does not want to do - the thing that is so important to you?

Even though visiting your cousin seems to have been taken off the table, have you been silent and cold to your wife as a result of that decision?

If not as a result of that decision, why have you been cold and silent, if indeed you have?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
I was repeating, during a discussion with W on POJA, what Dr. Harley said. For POJA to work, there needs to be goodwill on the part of both parties.

For Marriage Builders to work you have to stop telling your wife how the POJA works. Do you understand this? Don't educate your wife, because it's a love buster. Your goal is to top off your balance in your wife's love bank, not drain it into the red.

I may or may not have referenced the "visit" in that particular discussion.

Please stop getting hung up about the visit.

When you told your spouse how POJA should work it was a love bank withdrawal. I have given you one example of why she might have seen it that way. Quit arguing that the example is wrong. It doesn't matter if the example is right or wrong. It was a love bank withdrawal. You are an abusive lecturing husband who is going to lose your marriage if you can't start looking for the ways we are right rather than trying to debate every point.

If I did, she was fully aware that it was as an example only and not a suggestion that she would go if she had goodwill toward me.

Was it a love buster or not, Bariguy?

Are you making your wife miserable or not, Bariguy?

Take a good look at her, and when you are ready to learn how to make your wife happy instead of miserable come back and LISTEN because we can help you with that.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
I was repeating, during a discussion with W on POJA, what Dr. Harley said.
So, cut it out.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
"I didn't abuse my wife this way, I abused her that way."
This is, essentially, what you are saying.
The nitty-gritty details are not important. What's important is that you've abused your wife. And she's scared of being honest with you.

So, cut it out.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

B
Bariguy Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Educating your spouse is a disrespectful judgement. Stop it. It is not a part of MB.

This was a discussion. It was not an effort to educate!

B
Bariguy Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I don't understand why, as a married couple, we cannot converse. If she complains that the car is dirty and wishes I would wash it, I just go and wash it even though I just finished doing just that?? That's what I'm hearing you say here. W thinks I'm disagreeing with you guys. I'm not. I'm trying to understand. Maybe I'm stupider than the average bear. Would saying ''Honey, I just finished doing that'' be trying to talk her out of her complaints or trying to persuade her to see things differently?
Is it okay that she thinks the car is dirty and needs cleaning even if you "finished doing just that?"

Well, is it?

What I meant was she was unaware that I just finished cleaning it. What I was saying was that presenting facts as a response to a complaint is NOT disagreeing or refusing to accept the complaint. You were saying if she complains I am to act on it with no questions asked. I'm saying if there are facts she is unaware of I need to be able to state them.

B
Bariguy Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I was repeating, during a discussion with W on POJA, what Dr. Harley said.
So, cut it out.

I'm sorry, cut what out? I wish you were here to have heard the conversation. I was NOT lecturing her or educating her, we were talking about POJA and how it works. She made statements, I made statements. Please ask her if you want further explanation.

N
N
No Bari we aren't saying to act with no questions asked. This program bring the best wisdom of both of you that is how it's successful. I don't know the details of the car cleaning but for example if she says she is uncomfortable it was dirty then that is a good opportunity to show her you care about her, and talk about what is clean for each of you.

It will get so much easier and become second nature as you fall in love again. I can imagine it feels weird at the moment. Hang in there! Feelings follow actions.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
M
M

This was a discussion. It was not an effort to educate!

Regardless of what you call it it was a large love bank withdrawal, and this marriage recovery plan will never work if you don't stop doing it.

If you can't learn to recognize your own abusive behaviors it would be best for her wife if she would separate from you until you can recognize and eliminate them.

M
M
Bariguy are you listening to Dr. Harley's daily radio show? You're having a lot of the same problems I had when I came here - you are very disrespectful to your wife and don't realize it because you don't recognize that your behavior is disrespectful.

Your wife is going to be a lot happier when you learn to recognize and eliminate your disrespectful behavior. You need to be aware that Dr. Harley considers disrespectful judgments to be marital abuse. Like me, you have arrived at this site as an abusive husband and don't yet recognize it.

You need to get every chance you can to learn to recognize your DJs - listen to the radio show!

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 853 guests, and 82 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation