Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,713
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,713
Hi Nick,

I read your sig and realized you and I have something in common ... both our ws are from a different culture -- and both their OP were from the culture they are from.

Make sense?

Does this make "getting over it" seem more difficult to you? I mean the BS always feels less about themselves with an affair -- but this just seems to add more to the slef esteem drop.

Here they had someone to talk to who had some of the same cultural experiences the WS has had -- there's a commonality right there that no matter how we try we cannot come up to.

If there is a common language that we don't speak add another log to that fire --- add more for the cultural music, etc.

To me sometimes it seems like a mountain to climb -- and sometimes (and I dislike these feelings) I find myself hating his culture.

Have you experienced any of these same things?

way2

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 840
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 840
Hi Way2Complicated & Welcome.
I don't know your personal situation in detail, however let me simply try to answer your questions from my perspective. Yes, it looks like our situations are similar in that we are from a different culture, whilst OP is from the same as WS. Personally, I always found the fact that we are from different cultures very rewarding. Both my wife and I grew enormously, by better understanding the own culture, the other culture, the world. That's the good side. The bad side, is that, in addition to personal problems/differences, the cultural gap introduces additional misunderstandings and mistrust. And this is not helpful in situations like ours. The other very important factor is that my wife is torn between her own cultural background and mine. She was packed away as a young child of 6 to a special boarding school in another city, was educated in a secular and western-oriented way, and saw her parents only twice a year. Her family and cultural background is otherwise quite traditional, with all peaceful and family-oriented Islamic values. Now, she's married to me and torn between life here and something she is missing, something she never had, something she was denied whilst being a child. Comes along OM, that [censored], presses a few 'cultural' buttons and off they go, suddenly everything feels so "homy", comfy, familiar etc etc, OM's mum suddenly becoming the MIL she always wished she had etc etc etc. The frustrating thing is, it's a) all fog because it's an affair and b) it's something I can't compete with nor want to compete with. In short, it’s all a sort of a shadow against which I feel utterly powerless. Does that sound familiar to you? In this situation I agree with you it is a mountain to climb. But no, I don’t hate her culture at all, au contraire, I like it very much and feel very much at home there. Her relatives all like me very much, and I like them too. First we lived in my home country, but eventually moved to London. I hoped that us being both in a culturally "neutral" third place would make it easier. In a sense it was, in a sense it wasn't. Both she and me are 'strangers' here - but through work etc. I managed to quickly form a network of friends. She on the other hand never tried to do that in the first place, only some colleagues from her country with whom she always has/had a love-hate relationship and never was really close. And all the neigbours, other children's mums etc are either all stupid, selfish, racist or a combination of it (she says). Let me ask a few questions: where is your husband from? Where is his circle of friends from? How are women/mothers treated where he is coming from? Why did he settle in the US? Where does he feel he belongs to? Did you learn his language? Which language are you speaking at home? All this of course plays its part in terms of setting excpectations etc. But again, in hindsight, I have to say that both my wife and I learned so much and gave each other so much from each other's culture that we both now can swim like a fish in the water over here and over there. And our daughter too!

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,713
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,713
Thanks Nick,

I started to write a reply to you and realized that while I was only half done it was already 2 pages long in word ... is there a way to take this to email?

way2

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 840
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 840
sure

please email nick123_uk_2003@yahoo.de

I'll email you my real email once we've established contact.

I wont be checking the above (dummy) email afterwards.

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,713
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,713
done ...


Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 472 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,659
Posts2,323,617
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0