Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Rodger Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I just watched a movie called Indecent proposal. This guy and his wife are madly in love but are strapped for money. Then this handsome guy who is very very rich notices the wife, understands she needs money and makes a proposal to her and the husband. The proposal is that if he gets the wife for just one night then he will give the husband and wife $1,000,000 (one million) dollars with no further strings attached or contact. In the movie the wife does it, the husband agrees to it. I won't say what happened but in the end everything works out between the husband and wife. <P>I am wondering would you do it? If so why? If not why?

J
J
Absolutely not!!!!! Ever heard of the Ten Commandments? They are "commandments," not suggestions. No amount of money can make adultery right!

M
M
Never, not in a zillion years. I'd feel guilty every time I spent a dollar of it. Although I have to admit most women wouldn't charge Redford anything for the service!<P>It's funny, that's the most disturbed I've ever seen my H-watching that movie. He could really relate to Woody Harrelson's pain when he was chasing the helicopter. Weird part is....my H is the one who had the affair with my best friend.

S
S
Now, a million bucks could come in right handy.<P>It would pay for all the counseling you would need after the fact.<P>Godspeed,<BR>STL

K
K
STL you are tooooo funny! LOL [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>Now after the fact that might be a different story, but I would never and could never knowingly allow my w into another mans arms.<P>knight

Z
Z
Roger, would you?<P>Realize that this would make the wife a prostitute and the husband a pimp. yuk<P>Z<P>------------------<BR>He loves not who does not show love.<BR>----William Shakespeare

C
C
No way!! No amount of money would take away the feelings of being used, guilty,or ashamed. I would prefer to feel morally good about myself and continue to struggle financially. Money isn't everything and it certainly can't buy happiness!<BR>cybil [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]

S
S
Oh gosh, it's easy to say NO WAY... but faced with the situation, I can't say for sure what I'd do. :blush

R
Rodger Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I wouldn't do it for any amount of money unless I don't want my wife and want to get a new wife. If I wanted a new wife then having an extra million would help to find one. These days many mail order brides marry to get a better life and money and a good house. They will marry anyone who is half decent and don't believe there is only one true love in this world. They believe there are lots of fish in the sea. So if a marriage doesn't work out they have no problem with divorcing and trying again. I think the success rate is no worse than traditional marriages. <P>Now many people have affairs and it is for zero money, just lust or just some guy making you feel good for a few minutes. <P>In the movie both the husband and wife agreed to it. It was not the classical affair. Later it bugged the husband. The rich guy in the movie said if the lady was his wife, he would share her with no one. <p>[This message has been edited by Rodger (edited August 26, 2001).]

H
H
<snip>. <P>(I didn't like realizing what my post meant, so I shall live in ignorance a while longer and snip it instead. To accept what it meant would mean I have to accept that I cannot be married to my husband any longer, and I'm not ready to accept that yet)... LOL<P>Let's just leave it at:<BR>I don't know what I would do unless faced with the situation.<P>HbH<p>[This message has been edited by hurtbyhubby (edited August 26, 2001).]

J
J
Not a chance. Not for all the money in the world. Not for any reason. <P> jd<P> Course six months ago I might have given a different answer. But I have no doubt I would have felt as Woody felt. No Way.

Z
Z
Roger,<P>I your current wife a mail order bride?<P>Z

J
J
hurtbyhubby,<P>So sorry your hubby hurt you!<P>I would agree that your view must be from years of brainwashing. It is only liberal propoganda that sex is sex and love is love. That is most definitely not God's view of the relationship he created us to have. I Corinthians 6:15-20 might shed some light on the issue.<P>

H
H
jcandy - thanks for the verse, I'll read up on it.<P>HbH

J
J
Suppose you could name your price? <P>One million dollars isn't all that much today. Would you do it for $10M, $100M? An Island in the Caribbean? A cure for cancer?<P>--Jeffers

S
SEM Offline
S
I only wish I got a million for the A she already had, at least I would get something out of it other than a lesson in life. I'm having a hard enough time with the A being her decision, I know I couldn't live with myself if I had a part in an A, besides what's another million in the bank..I only wish [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]

Z
Z
Roger,<P>Something just hit me. You would allow your wife to do it if you wanted to get rid of her? Then YOU would keep the money to help you get another wife? I'm disgusted. <P>Z<P>------------------<BR>He loves not who does not show love.<BR>----William Shakespeare

R
Rodger Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi zorweb,<P>Maybe I didn't mean that or think it through long enough. I was only trying to say if I loved my wife I wouldn't let her do it. I would have to not love my wife to not be angry if she did something like that. Now my wife did have an affair and I got nothing out of it except grief. Well I stiul have my wife to so as long as she doesn't do it again, I should be thankful I guess. A million dollars wouldn't make me feel any better but it might tempt me to be bad too. However I have children so I doubt I would be bad and have a revenge affair.<P>I guess people feel pretty strongly about their wife not sleeping with some other guy. It seems from this thread that no amount of money would be acceptable for one's wife to sleep with another guy. So this shows the pain the husband goes through when the wife sleeps with another guy for nothing except her self satisfaction. <P>Today Dr. Laura said on the radio that a few minutes of please can take years to recover from. This guy phoned in and said he had an affair and how can he get his wife to trust him again. Dr. Laura said there was no magic. She said it just takes time and actions are what counted. she said no words can help. <P>There are the couples called swingers that don't seem to mind their partner having sex with other people. An extra million would be a bonus for them.<BR>

O
O
So then if love is for sale, do the words to the old song by the Everly Bros, Bye bye love change to Buy buy love, buy buy sweet caress....hello lonliness, I think I'm gonna cry. Hmm........<P>Put a price on love? Then while you're at it, why not sell your soul to the Devil? Tax free......but guilt ridden for life. Ya know, some would actually consider it. Scary huh? Especially if that included our spouses. Hm..... YUCK! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>I saw the movie, Woody Harrelson, Demi Moore and Robert Redford. After that Robert never looked the same. Too bad, I used to like him (but never dreamed about him....LOL!).<P>L. <P>

B
B
No way.<BR>There is not enough money in the world to get me to eat a bug, & nobody's penis is worth a million bucks to me. Perhaps if I had one of my own it would be? Then again if I had a penis, mine would be worth MUCH MORE than a million bucks to me! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>Why wouldn't I go for it? Because someone who has the nerve to pay another man for their wife obviously is too sorry to get his own wife. I mean, the arrogance in assuming that a million dollars is enough to pay for me?! (joke)<P>What he was saying is that his sex was worth a million bucks and that the wife could be bought. Which might look wonderful depending on how desperate the temptee is? But temptation has to be seen for what it is...<P>Temptation is dimensionless--the prospects are left to one's endless imagination... But then, the consequences are like, "THREE-D COMIN' AT YA!" (Think Steve Martin's nose in the movie, Roxanne [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] )

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 476 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation