Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18
M
M
Originally Posted by desty
The goofy part is if I had someone else I think I would be fine..so maybe just afraid of being alone

You've got emotional needs, and those are legitimate.

In fact despite all the gaslighting, abuse, and infidelity your wife has probably been meeting those for you somewhat - it's extremely common for people to stay in horrendously abusive marriages simply because the abuser does a good enough job of meeting the abused spouse's needs that they stay around.

Some day down the road after you are divorced you can start dating around again and find someone who meets your emotional needs well AND doesn't mistreat you in terrible ways.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
D
desty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I have thought about this..when I dont see her, I am perfectly fine. So the plan from here 0n out is to have minimal conversation via email only, zero personal interaction becuase I dont need it and when the divorce is final - zero contact.

D
desty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I have thought about this..when I dont see her, I am perfectly fine. So the plan from here 0n out is to have minimal conversation via email only, zero personal interaction becuase I dont need it and when the divorce is final - zero contact.

M
M

Sounds perfect! Better times are coming! You now have a bright future...

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

D
desty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
It's been a few days..just an updaye..everything is being done via email and I haven't spoken or seen my wife since Sunday. Melody..u were absolutely right. Not bei g around him or her has given me more time to think then I ever have. I have a new job interview next week and so far have no issues living on my own. I see my girls often and to be honest I am not even concerned with my wife at all. I hope it stays this way as time goes on. I think the key for me is to not see it talk to her. I am o ly focused on me and wherever she does is up to her.
So far...so good

D
desty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Sorry for typos..

M
M
It's been a few days..just an updaye..everything is being done via email and I haven't spoken or seen my wife since Sunday. Melody..u were absolutely right. Not bei g around him or her has given me more time to think then I ever have. I have a new job interview next week and so far have no issues living on my own. I see my girls often and to be honest I am not even concerned with my wife at all. I hope it stays this way as time goes on. I think the key for me is to not see it talk to her. I am o ly focused on me and wherever she does is up to her.
So far...so good

Very good!!! So glad to hear of your solid progress. When your emotions try to send you sick messages, allow your LOGIC to talk you off the cliff. Logically, you know your wife is bad news for you. You will gain more self confidence, much quicker, if you allow your logic to protect you. Moving out has been the best thing you have done in years.

Keep up the great work, KEEP WALKING! smile

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

D
desty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Melody..thanks for the advice. I think your comment on when the sick thoughts come use logic is perfect. I find that thoughts of wanting to fix it (clearly to late anyway) come and go...plus wondering if it was right to let her have the house. The kids stay by default as I am not on the school district. Then I use logic and think of all the vacations she hasn't went on..all the times she wasn't there for me...and add the fact that I do t need to even see him ever again...def. made the right choice. Only sad thoughts and I'm sure its normal is that she is going to have a great life without me and the kids will forget me becuase I'm not around as much...

I
I
desty the trick is to keep busy! make a bucket list, wallow in not needing to PoJA anything, even dinner. You have to make lots of self care, make lots of weekend plans etc.

What makes you happy? On my list was silly movies, weekend drives to the beach, pedicures, charity shop paperbacks, staying with friends, gardening, volunteering.... Don't look back, look forward.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

D
desty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Just need a little advice. Final meeting with attorney in a.m. so we can get this divorce wrapped up. Haven't talked to my wife in 1 1/2 weeks and as I said I blocked her #. I need to send her an email tomorrow with the info from attorney. Feel kind of childish but this 0 contact helps me. The less I have the less I think. Not sure if this makes me strong or weak..seems like she could be friends i.e. talk about di orce..blah.blah. doesnt fit me.
I am going to take the kayak and do a 2 day by myself this weekend. I just assume that the emotions will level off with time. Honestly I have thought very little about ever going back. Probably the worst feeling now is being alone .. feeling pretty lost right now. Assume normal.

Last edited by desty; 07/23/18 06:59 PM.
M
M
Feel kind of childish but this 0 contact helps me. The less I have the less I think. Not sure if this makes me strong or weak..

Strong people are strong because they avoid things that injure them.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
I
I
. Honestly I have thought very little about ever going back. Probably the worst feeling now is being alone .. feeling pretty lost right now. Assume normal.

The first chapter after you get out IS rather bleak. That is normal, yes, you have a lot to process. For once you can do so with a clear mind and no one disputing what's real.

Be sure not to expect too much of yourself and revel in all the little things. Most importantly of all remind yourself that this is an entirely new life. If it feels a little empty and lonely that is because it is still a blank page. A blank page is also pretty exciting though.

G
G
I need to send her an email tomorrow with the info from attorney.
Can the attorney send this email...?

D
desty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I sent the email. She responded with just what I asked..a picture and she is going to stop by the attorneys to pick up the paper work. When i send an email, i prelude it with no reply needed other that information requested.
So, she wanted to meet in person to discuss the final divorce paperwork, but since I told her that I would not be meeting her anymore for any face to face discussions , she has not asked and I have not had any communication other than what is absolutely necessary.

This has been a huge win for me. I also blocked her number. I think this will help me get over the divorce quicker.
Thank you for the advice given. This is hopefully the latter part of a long journey. Being alone has been hard, but also eye opening ..good and bad. The most amazing thing is how much time I spent thinking of him and her. Most of that is gone. If they are together now...its not my concern.

I
I
. Being alone has been hard, but also eye opening ..good and bad.

.......yeah. Hugs.

It all leads to good stuff.

D
desty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I hope so...lol

D
desty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
They say a month for every year of marriage for recovery? That's like 3 years. Please tell me that if I keep walking, it will compound the healing and cut the time down. This roller coaster rider of emotion is scarier than the amusement park and free.

U
U
Who�s �they?� I have never heard the month for every year of marriage. That is saying someone who has been married 2 years can recover from an affair in 2 months. Um, no. I have heard Dr Harley say 2 years for a marriage to recover from an affair, but I don�t know that that timeline applies to divorcing. I would say personal recovery can be quicker or slower depending on you. For instance, the less contact you have with WW will speed up recovery. The more you focus on your own happiness and health will speed up recovery.

I
I
A vet told me that people who enter a personal recovery plan tend to feel better within two years max.

Id say it was six months were I felt pretty ok and I felt totally healed within a year.

It's more about what you do in the present. A mind that is happy and occupied in the present has no reason to time travel. Your mind will process stuff, but only until it learns a lesson, categorised it and will then move on. I used to let myself think in the shower, process, grieve; then on with today.

It gets easier. Do you have any plans to host your girls yet?

I
I
You can check out my thread if youre curious. I tried to keep a faithful journal and other Plan Bers chimed in with their experiences of self recovery;

https://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php/topics/2612581/159.html

Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 150 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ardent Center, Lost@1969, Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860
71,843 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation