Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
Hi,

I haven’t been around for a while although I still lurk from time to time.

My marriage has been continuously improving since I was last here, this program has helped so much.

Today, however, while doing a daily reading from Dr. Harley’s “Draw Close” on the topic of radical honesty, my husband informed me of the following: 35 years ago, when he was a practicing alcoholic and stopped at a bar one night when he should have been home, he slipped off his wedding ring and danced with a girl, drove to a house party with her and another couple, stayed in the car while the other 3 went in, another girl who he knew from high school came out to the car and chatted with him, he kissed her, she left, he passed out until morning when he came home. (I was home with 3-4 children and worried sick about him).
Back then, he told me about all of this (when questioned extensively) except the wedding ring removal and the second girl whom he kissed.

He hasn’t used alcohol in over 25 years. He has been very aware of boundaries with opposite sex people and has kept good boundaries for a least two decades.

However, I am quite upset to learn of this behaviour and the dishonesty for all these years. Is it crazy to be upset even though it was so long ago? Is it crazy to feel a loss of respect for him?

Our marriage was finally almost as good as I ever dreamed of. Is that all a lie now? All the misery of the past with the drinking and the poor marital practices we had have come rushing back to mind with this revelation. Is it good somehow that he told me of this 35 year secret?

I can use some help understanding how to process this and move forward.

Me - 59
Him - 66
Married- 40 years
Children - 7

Last edited by Barigirl; 06/13/20 09:30 PM.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
7 children, 6 adults, last DS 17
S
S
Originally Posted by Barigirl
However, I am quite upset to learn of this behaviour and the dishonesty for all these years. Is it crazy to be upset even though it was so long ago? Is it crazy to feel a loss of respect for him?

Our marriage was finally almost as good as I ever dreamed of. Is that all a lie now? All the misery of the past with the drinking and the poor marital practices we had have come rushing back to mind with this revelation. Is it good somehow that he told me of this 35 year secret?
Hi Barigirl. I'm sorry that this has happened. I know how horrible you must be feeling.
I think you're asking two related questions here: whether it is "crazy" that you feel so upset about what you've been told, and whether "it's good somehow" that he told you of the 35-year secret.

On the first, I suggest that it doesn't matter whether it is crazy to feel as you do. As I understand it, Marriage Builders does not judge whether feelings are right or wrong. We will always have feelings and instinctive reactions to things, and in most cases, there isn't any outright standard against which to judge whether those feelings are right or wrong. I think that most readers here would feel as upset as you do, but even then, how we would feel isn't the issue. What matters is that, when your spouse does something or tells you something (whether to do with historical honesty or not) you do not react with demands, disrespect or anger.

But then there's the question of the rightness or wrongness of his having told you about the event.

We've had many discussions on this forum about historical and radical honesty, and Dr Harley's views on this are quite clear: he recommends radical honesty about the past and the present, regardless of how unpleasant information might be. He created the personal history questionnaire for those doing the MB course in order that spouses could learn as much as possible about each other, all the better to understand each other and create a marriage of extraordinary care.

However, he does have a restriction on this, and that is when mistakes of the past that are already known about are brought up again during the search for radical honesty. This is because dwelling on mistakes from the past is an enemy of marriage. This applies especially when the subject of the "mistake" is an affair. Dr Harley is adamant that, once the basic details of an affair are known about and the couple is in recovery, the affair must not be brought up ever again. When the affair is raised again, the hurtful and thoughtless actions that the unfaithful enacted are brought into the present, making the present-day relationship unhappy - as has happened to you.

This means that, for two reasons (the affair was a mistake of the past, and also, it was an affair), your husband should not talk about the affair again. (I know that you were reading Draw Close rather than completing a questionnaire, but it was essentially the same thing.)

I copied an answer that Dr Harley gave to a poster on the private forum, about a similar event:

"In general, I recommend that after questions have been answered about the details of an affair, the topic should be dropped for future discussion. Further questioning falls into the category of dwelling on mistakes of the past, which is one of the four enemies of intimate conversation.

The Personal History Questionnaire is written to help a couple learn about each other's past that they had not known. While it's tempting to use it to ask a few more questions about an affair that had already been revealed and discussed earlier, I don't recommend further questioning on that incident.

Dr. Harley"

Last edited by SugarCane; 06/14/20 10:31 AM.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks SugarCane for your response. Are you saying that because it was a long time ago I need to just “suck it up”? Ask a few questions and all is forgotten? And forgiven?

What about 35 years of dishonesty? What about my feelings of betrayal and loss of trust? I am angry, disrespectful and demanding. I don’t respect him as I did before he told me this. How can I?

He is a “devout” Catholic, in an unappealing (to me) way. He once told me that if I didn’t want to play by the rules, I shouldn’t be on the team (referring to my attending his church). With this information about unfaithfulness and dishonesty, I see him as an absolute hypocrite. He is always saying God Bless You to people, carries a rosary in his pocket at all times, never missed mass, tells people he is praying for them, acts all pious...on and on. I’ve always disliked all this but now! How dare he!? It makes me gag.

He says he is sorry he hurt me. While also projecting that he doesn’t think it’s such a big deal. I lash out, he lashes back. Contrite my [censored].

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
B
OP Offline
B
I just reread your response and am looking for clarification. Are you saying my spouse should not have brought up the subject of the “affair” since he had given me some information years ago? That is bringing up “mistakes of the past”? Even though it was incomplete?

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
D
D
I usually recommend that once information about a relationship outside of marriage is revealed, it should be dropped as a "mistake of the past" because it brings the pain of the past into the present.  But your husband felt that the added information was necessary because he had not been completely honest with you, and he wants you to know everything about him. He has made some amazing changes lately in an effort to be the husband that you should have always had, and this latest revelation was an effort on his part to clear up yet another mistake, which was not to be completely honest with you about this incident. Now that it has been revealed, I hope that both of you continue in progress that you have made to express extraordinary care for each other.

B
OP Offline
B
Thank you Dr. Harley for your response. I appreciate your time and wisdom so much.

I do recognize my husband’s tremendous work in achieving the improvements to our marriage.

I definitely and absolutely see why mistakes of the past should not be revisited. All the misery of that time in our lives has triggered and magnified my feelings of pain and anger.

I will work to get back to progressing in our marriage.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 676 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation