Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
OP Offline
R
background info: i'm mid 40s, wife late 30s, two elementary age kids, married 11+ years. the marriage has had ups and downs but was pretty blissful for the period between years 2-10. the last 1.5 years have been a low point in our marriage. sex stopped almost 1 year ago (her withdrawal). i admit i have a greater responsibility for the breakdown - for a long time (starting late 2019 - definitely before the pandemic) i became more rude, disrespectful and condescending and she started withdrawing .. which became an unending cycle of arguments about the same things again and again. the lockdown through most of 2020 perhaps exacerbated these issues (but pandemic is not the cause). I feel like I started becoming more rude and disrespectful after she started withdrawing... whereas she will say the opposite, that she started withdrawing after my bad behavior. I honestly can't say what came first the chicken or the egg. I do know I never had an easy personality ... but like i said we had many very blissful years, low conflict, lots of love affection and sex .. everything positive that you would look for in a marriage.

during the period of arguments (approximately the first 6 months of 2020) any big argument we had .. I would bring up divorce. This happened 2-3 times. I know it is terrible, absolutely terrible as I never wanted a divorce but used it ... perhaps out of fear, or as a protective mechanism .. or maybe as she says i was emotionally abusive and manipulative by bringing up divorce.

starting late 2020 we both decided we should start to see a counselor to help address these issues. we spent some time together researching (I wish I found this site first !) and decided to try a very well known therapist .. we had a few sessions (2/3). during this time I felt like I was the only one taking the lessons to heart and trying to change anything, whereas she was using the therapy is a kind of justification to say she tried everything to save the marriage. its like she would listen to the therapist and not make any changes on her end. not accept any changes that I tried to make. and sadly during this time because of my frustration with her attitude to the counseling, we had another argument where like a fool i brought up divorce again. she says this was the last straw .. she believes I will never change (therapy or not) and my past behavior has given her all the justification she needs.

however I am trying hard to make positive changes .. with individual therapy as well as lot of reading and self reflection. I feel like I've made many changes in the past few months (since we started the counseling)... but she says its too late for her. she doesn't love me and hasn't felt romantically in love with me since almost the past year (I guess around the time we stopped having sex). also the interesting thing I have observed .. positive changes on my end means she has rarely had any real reason for arguments or her withdrawal in the past 6 months (since late last year when we both realized something needed to be fixed!). now every time there is even a hint of an argument ..... she brings up things I said 1-2 years ago. its like she cannot let go or move on from that period in the past when we had some terrible arguments.

last month she talked to a lawyer. per the laws in our state, we must be separated 12 months before she can file for divorce. she basically notified me of her intent and moved to a different bedroom in the house (per state laws, in house separation is acceptable). We are now on week 3 of separation. I cannot understand why she has given up on counseling so easily and doesn't want to work to save the marriage after she knows I am willing to try anything. Apart from the hurt this is going to cause our little kids, I feel like she has much to lose as she hasn't been in workforce for over a decade and her situation post-divorce will be very hard financially even with child support. I guess she is at the point she is not thinking rationally but emotionally. there is like a wall I cannot get through to her.

our counselor now ... is kind of trying to help us ease into the divorce as my wife notified her of the separation ... instead of helping us fix the marriage!

I do not think she is having an affair (physical at least) but her stubbornness to just throw everything away makes me second guess that as well.

any advice?

Last edited by rightsaidfred; 05/13/21 07:54 AM.
B
B
Welcome to MB.

Have you read Beware of Bad Counselors

Are you still fighting with her? If so, you need to stop that now. Have you read Dr. Harley's Love Busters?

Why are you so sure she isn't having an affair? Have you snooped?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

R
OP Offline
R
i'm reading all the articles now .. i just came across this website last night and decided to post here today.

i'm trying 110% to change my bad behavior and as i mentioned above, i feel i have changed for the better since beginning of this year. but she says there is no longer any romantic love, any improvement she sees in me is good but too late. of course i argue too late for what? neither of us is dead ... we are technically still married. but its like my pleas for her to put in any effort fall on deaf ears.

as far as affair .. physical affair would be hard for her to consummate (for lack of better word) .. she is stay at home mom with two young kids who take up bulk of her time and energy. since covid (early 2020) i have been working from home. this means i know 90% of the times where she is and for the other 10% i don't doubt her whereabouts much as she is fairly open about where she is going or where she went and not much to be suspicious of.

emotional affair .. yes this could be. i have not snooped around her phone too much (but i do know the password/PIN and casually look every now and then). I feel she is smart enough to use incognito mode or other kind of apps if she were in fact cheating but i just don't know. when I casually see through her phone there is nothing of note. but I never go digging very deep into other apps on her phone or anything she may be doing using some kind of stealth/incognito mode.

is there any kind of PI or service that could find out what is on her phone / computer that would not be apparent at first glance? of course if she is having an affair i would like to find out and confront / expose it.

but assuming no affair (physical or emotional) .. what can i do? i have about 11months before she is eligible to file for divorce!

is it possible that a woman will just break up her family because she feels no romantic love anymore? or put no effort into fixing what is broken? (again assuming she does not have a side-guy waiting in the wings)

L
L
Originally Posted by rightsaidfred
i'm reading all the articles now .. i just came across this website last night and decided to post here today.

Fred, you are in the right place. Welcome.

i'm trying 110% to change my bad behavior and as i mentioned above, i feel i have changed for the better since beginning of this year. but she says there is no longer any romantic love, any improvement she sees in me is good but too late. of course i argue too late for what? neither of us is dead ... we are technically still married. but its like my pleas for her to put in any effort fall on deaf ears.

That is pretty normal. Don't beg, don't discuss just be the best husband you can be. It is called Plan A. An estranged spouse will generally ignore improvements especially if there is a history of temporary behaviour modifications that go back to same old same old. I'm sure that makes logical sense to you. You have a huge advantage in that you are not separated, no matter how much she might claim that you are. Think about what made her fall in love with you when you were courting her and do that. Remember that a single angry word can undo months of romance because it will bring her negative feelings rushing back.

as far as affair .. physical affair would be hard for her to consummate (for lack of better word) .. she is stay at home mom with two young kids who take up bulk of her time and energy. since covid (early 2020) i have been working from home. this means i know 90% of the times where she is and for the other 10% i don't doubt her whereabouts much as she is fairly open about where she is going or where she went and not much to be suspicious of.

emotional affair .. yes this could be. i have not snooped around her phone too much (but i do know the password/PIN and casually look every now and then). I feel she is smart enough to use incognito mode or other kind of apps if she were in fact cheating but i just don't know. when I casually see through her phone there is nothing of note. but I never go digging very deep into other apps on her phone or anything she may be doing using some kind of stealth/incognito mode.

is there any kind of PI or service that could find out what is on her phone / computer that would not be apparent at first glance? of course if she is having an affair i would like to find out and confront / expose it.

Yes you can put spyware on her phone. Post in the Operation Investigate forum. Be sure to tell them what type of phone she has. The fact that she is not locking or hiding her phone gives you a huge advantage. Generally cheaters lock their phone. Of course it is possible that she has a second phone . . .or that she is communicating in a different way.

is it possible that a woman will just break up her family because she feels no romantic love anymore? or put no effort into fixing what is broken? (again assuming she does not have a side-guy waiting in the wings)

Anything is possible but this is very unlikely especially when you have children together. Think outside the box. Is there someone that she talks about a lot or someone who visits regularly? Cheating spouses can be extremely sneaky. You can also hire a PI. The one thing you must not do is ask her or confront her if you find anything. They will take the affair much more deeply underground.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
R
OP Offline
R
I was able to snoop around her primary email account .. looked back the past 6-8mo of messages. nothing that raised eyebrows. of course she could be using a different account/burner phone etc ... I did come across a lot of articles she subscribed to regarding cleansing, healing, energy... and twin flames! I guess some esoteric soulmates concept. I wonder if she has been reading these kind of things to make a judgement that I am not her twin/flame/soulmate (admittedly because of my own bad behavior past 15-20months) and I wonder if that is reason for withdrawal and her disinterest in working on the marriage. is she holding out for her soulmate (I could understand younger girls and women focused on this fairy tale... but she will be 40 in a couple years ... is she still holding out for a fairy tale?!)

a physically consummated infidelity is highly unlikely because I pretty much know her whereabouts on a day to day basis. if it were the case, her trysts would be like a 15min quickie in the car on the way to grocery store or on the way to pick up kids or other chores that I know she is doing. BUT emotional affair - that is another story. I will try to get the spyware thing installed and see if more information can be dug up regarding the same. her friend circle is all mommies in her general age range. not much opposite sex interactions ... but who knows.

i will pursue all of the above to get to the bottom of it. HOWEVER I feel the bigger challenge for me is what I can do over the next few months to turn around this separation which is headed for divorce. she doesn't allow anything physical, nor any affection. she has shut down for almost a year and as I mentioned in my original post, moved into a different bedroom about 3 weeks ago (part of the inhouse separation rules). while I am working hard on myself and controlling my anger and my own bad behavior, she is not doing so. which means the littlest things will trigger her. the other day I was on my phone while she asked a question and I abruptly answered yes! ... she escalated that into a small argument saying how rude I am. it was nothing, just a abrupt answer of yes .... but it is like she has blackness in her heart towards me .. anything i say or do is met with negative emotions.

she has always been a kind, caring, empathetic and sensitive person and she still is to everyone around us (including my family - her inlaws) except she is just no longer that way with me. i feel like i am enemy number 1 ... she just says its all the built up resentment. she just cannot let go of the past (meaning that period of 15-20months we had bad arguments and i said some terrible things), no concept of forgive, forget and move on. she just refuses to do that or consider it an option (even the therapist we have been going through tried to explain to her that any relationship needs forgiveness to be successful.. those words fell on deaf ears)

what can I do? how do I meet her emotional needs when she has built a wall between us. We do not communicate much (only about kids) .. i feel like it is almost impossible to be affectionate, have recreational companionship, intimate conversations etc. sex is out of the question (almost 1 year no sex) .. I feel like all I am going to be able to do over the next 11 months is be a nice guy platonic room mate .. is that going to change anything? change her heart? make her rethink filing for divorce after our 12-mo separation period ends?

i really would love to hear from others who have been in a similar situation, how did you handle it? were you successful in turning around the separation? how did you overcome the big wall created between you and your spouse?

hg
Originally Posted by living_well

Fred, you are in the right place. Welcome.

That is pretty normal. Don't beg, don't discuss just be the best husband you can be. It is called Plan A. An estranged spouse will generally ignore improvements especially if there is a history of temporary behaviour modifications that go back to same old same old. I'm sure that makes logical sense to you. You have a huge advantage in that you are not separated, no matter how much she might claim that you are. Think about what made her fall in love with you when you were courting her and do that. Remember that a single angry word can undo months of romance because it will bring her negative feelings rushing back.

Yes you can put spyware on her phone. Post in the Operation Investigate forum. Be sure to tell them what type of phone she has. The fact that she is not locking or hiding her phone gives you a huge advantage. Generally cheaters lock their phone. Of course it is possible that she has a second phone . . .or that she is communicating in a different way.

Anything is possible but this is very unlikely especially when you have children together. Think outside the box. Is there someone that she talks about a lot or someone who visits regularly? Cheating spouses can be extremely sneaky. You can also hire a PI. The one thing you must not do is ask her or confront her if you find anything. They will take the affair much more deeply underground.

B
B
Hi rightsaidfred,

I am not an expert like some of the posters, but your situation reminds me of my own way back before I discovered my wife's first affair. She was treating me very badly for months, fights out of the blue, blaming me for every problem, etc. The sweetest and most thoughtful woman began to treat me like public enemy #1. This was before I found MB. Then out of the blue she told me that she was planning to move to another town, we would be getting a divorce, and oh by the way the kids will be ok and you can visit them!

Of course my wife was having a long-distance emotional affair. It had been progressing for about 1 year at that time, building over time, but almost 100% via phone texts and mostly Skype messaging and video calls. They only physically saw each other once that entire time that I am aware of. Looking back the signs were clear, but I did not know what I was seeing. It was a male friend from university that I also knew that lived in a city across the country that we were living in then. Looking back with the clarity of distance and time, it was utterly whacky town. At the same time, my wife got into a lot of new age thinking. Whacky town became whacky world.

I suggest to secretly snoop and to also consider hiring a PI. You may be surprised what you find. And if the PI finds nothing, then even better as then your strategy to focus on Plan A has a higher success probability.

Me: BH
Marriage: 22 years
2 kids
D-Day 5 Sept 2011
EA w OM started Fall 2010, PA w OM Spring 2011, OM died end Sept 2011

B
B
Also, have you read Dr. Harley's books and also the basic concepts, articles, and Q&A columns on this website? Also, listen regularly to the daily radio show and make it a part of your daily schedule. There is a lot to learn on how to enact a stellar Plan A to attract your wife back to the marriage. It is difficult for any spouse and can take many months to see an impact. Lovebusters is a great book to start with and is really the foundation to a successful Plan A, as removing the love busters from your side is the necessary first step.

It is really a journey, but you have at least 11 months to try and do a stellar Plan A and to start planting seeds in her mind that things can get better than now. Even then, she may or may not go ahead with the divorce. There are no guarantees of course, but barring an affair (where additional steps like exposure are needed), this is the strategy most likely to achieve the outcome you want.

Generally, women with young children - and husbands trying to meet their needs and become demonstrably better husbands - do not leave their husbands without another factor in play, i.e. affair or abuse, at least not without a lot of effort first to make it work. This is why your situation raises red flags.

2 kids
D-Day 5 Sept 2011

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Blackhawk
Generally, women with young children - and husbands trying to meet their needs and become demonstrably better husbands - do not leave their husbands without another factor in play, i.e. affair or abuse, at least not without a lot of effort first to make it work. This is why your situation raises red flags.

the challenge i have is that she does not want me to try to meet any of her emotional needs. there is a big wall between us. any discussion i have with her outside of kids-logistics triggers some kind of a meltdown on her part. I feel like over the past year she has turned me into a monster (while I agree to my faults and things I am to blame for (see my original post), I am not the monster she makes me out to be) ... even if I am trying to keep things calm and civil between us, she escalates even the smallest issue for no reason apart from what I said 1 year ago or 6 months ago. there is no problem today but because I said something bad a year ago today is going to be hell to pay.

i just don't understand the mindset. it is like she has started to rewrite the history of our marriage as something which was terrible, of her husband who was abusive, controlling and basically a monster. frankly i am at the point where I can't feel any love for her because of how she has been treating me, because how selfish she has been acting in the past year or so.... but i just feel I got to keep this family together for the sake of our kids who are so young. maybe i should just let it go. if she as a mother only thinks about herself then why should I worry about the kids? sadly I can see her poisoning their minds about me anyway ...

L
L
i just don't understand the mindset. it is like she has started to rewrite the history of our marriage as something which was terrible, of her husband who was abusive, controlling and basically a monster.

Plan A is like throwing stones into a pond, they keep disappearing. But one day you suddenly see a little island appear. You have to be very patient.

With respect to your children, once you know the truth of what is behind this you will calmly tell them. But you do not know anything yet so stay in stealth mode.

3 adult children
(formerly lied_to_again)
R
OP Offline
R
as expected we have confirmed there is no infidelity. hired a PI who could not find any thing suspicious and he was able to get to her phone and reviewed each and every app and message going back almost a year. nothing .. not even likely an emotional affair. which I thought could be a possibility.

so question for all the experts here does this site offer anything for help in such scenario? i went back and read thousands of threads on this forum and it seems to be the experts here only focus on infidelity and exposing affairs. i don't think that is the reality for ALL divorces

B
B
Assuming there is no burner phone or she used a separate work notebook, then I think this is actually good as it makes the problem much, much simpler. And at least you can have some peace of mind now. This also clarifies the strategy to use.

Dr. Harley's site is not just about infidelity in marriage, you are not correct on that, although in his research and his work with tens of thousands of couples he has found it is a past or current problem in over half of marriages. There are a lot of threads in the infidelity section because people dealing with infidelity want help and are the most likely to seek it here or elsewhere. In your own situation you only sought help here once your wife was half out the door! Many men are just like you (me included!).

Dr. Harley has said that the main reason women leave men is neglect and not meeting emotional needs. Implementing a stellar Plan A is your best shot at attracting your wife back to the marriage. In your opening you mention a lot of problems in the marriage that Dr. Harley calls love busters. These have to all be removed from your behavior first before anything can improve. Have you read about Plan A on the site? Have you read the basic concepts on emotional needs and love busters?

Over time as you clean up your side of the fence and do your Plan A, you will show your wife what marriage with you can become and that you have changed. She will not believe the changes at first and may need months+ to believe before she starts to open up to you again. That is why above living-well gave the analogy of throwing stones into a pond. The stones are your actions to meet your wife's needs and to also change yourself to remove any love busters. You keep throwing in your stones, but there is no signal back that they are doing any good, so you have to expect nothing back. It is hard. But then one day the stones break through and your wife's feelings change. Dr. Harley has said he has seen this happen quickly once the romantic love thresh-hold is met. The love line is crossed and suddenly you have broken through.

At some point, you will need to also persuade her to work with you to create a great marriage that you are both happy with. Dr. Harley's program focuses on creating and maintaining romantic love, which is now absent in your marriage. This is why your wife wants a divorce, she is not in love with you, plus you love bust her making it worse, and in fact she may even hate you right now. But feelings change. Once your wife starts to be in love with you again - actually sometime before probably - divorce talk will fade away.

You have a year for your plan A and you have a lot going for you, including your wife living with you still, plus you have children together. If you want to turn your marriage into something great for you and your wife, this is the way to do it. There are no guarantees, but this is your best shot.

Lastly, be careful with the marriage counseling. Dr. Harley takes a dim view of most marriage counselors, as they focus on communication and acceptance instead of rebuilding romantic love which is what is needed to save the marriage.

2 kids
D-Day 5 Sept 2011

B
B
rightsaidfred, on the website you can click on the link in the top right corner to listen to today's radio show (the new shows air about 3-4 times per week and they replay notable shows from previous years the other 1-2 days). In the last segment on today's show Dr. Harley talks about what to do with a reluctant wife who does not want to join her husband in using the marriage builders approach. The show will replay for 24 hours until a new show comes on, so listen ASAP so you don't miss the segment! There is also an android or i-tunes app store app if you prefer to listen on your phone.

Of course your situation is worst than the caller from today, but really that is your Plan A goal: to persuade your wife through your love bank building actions - and your stopping of love-busters - so that she reaches the point where she considers working with you on the marriage instead of divorce being the only option.

If you have read the basic concepts, read the Q&A columns, and perused the non-affair forum posters (since your PI confirmed this is probably not an affair situation), then start listening to the daily radio show. You can also write the Dr. Harley with questions (for free!), or if you want you can also consider the coaching center (there is a link on this website).

Last edited by Blackhawk; 05/25/21 02:16 AM.

2 kids
D-Day 5 Sept 2011

R
OP Offline
R
I get the point of managing and eliminating love busters. even today (1+month after she initiated divorce/separation and 6 months after I realized we had major marital issues and started counseling) this is something huge that I need to work on. I'm trying. it is extremely hard to do when there is provocation from her. Its like we have had many weeks even some months of harmony over the past two years (meaning no arguments but also no affection) .. and still her heart is like a rock, she will say something that provokes me, results in some angry words from me and undos all the progress over the past few weeks/months.

but nevertheless - love busters are clearly an issue I MUST WORK ON.

The bigger challenge for me is this. I mentioned it above also but haven't had specific guidance on how to resolve it. There is NO SCOPE to meet her emotional needs.

Affection - no, just not allowed. no hugging, kissing, touching or any tenderness allowed. been like this almost two years now. She verbalizes many times how she just doesn't love me anymore, how I broke her heart (see my original post), and how there is no scope for reconciliation

Sex - we haven't had sex in just under a year. or maybe exactly a year.

Conversation - she says she doesn't want to talk about anything. We talk about kids (very young) and that is about it. Even if I try to start a casual fun conversation she gets upset and moves away or asks me to leave her room

Recreational companionship - same as above. there is no companionship and if I try to initiate anything she actively discourages me and says she is not interested in spending time with me.

Physical attractiveness - this is something I can work on sure, anyone can work on this. But honestly I don't look much different now than 12+ years ago when we met, just a tad more grey hair and maybe 5lbs more. I'm maybe a bit above average but its not like I'm going to change into a don juan no matter what I do in this regard.

So what else can I do?

I also wanted to add .. her focus and areas of interests these days seems to be very much into women empowerment and those type of themes. I feel like our marriage may be a tragedy of the #metoo movement more than a pandemic divorce

Last edited by rightsaidfred; 05/25/21 09:24 AM.
L
L
There is NO SCOPE to meet her emotional needs.

There is always scope. Think back to what attracted her to you in the first place. It would not have been hugging or kissing . .

Affection - no, just not allowed. no hugging, kissing, touching or any tenderness allowed.
Sex - we haven't had sex in just under a year. or maybe exactly a year.

Of course not, that is stage 6, you are attempting stage 1

Conversation - she says she doesn't want to talk about anything. We talk about kids (very young) and that is about it. Even if I try to start a casual fun conversation she gets upset and moves away or asks me to leave her room

What we women like is to be listened to. We don't want to be judged, we don't want solutions to be offered. As we speak we are mentally walking through the problem. Give her your undivided whenever she talks, no matter what the subject. Do not yawn or interrupt.

Don't try to start a casual conversation, she will see straight through that. In any case the conversation should be a subject she brings up.

Recreational companionship - same as above. there is no companionship and if I try to initiate anything she actively discourages me and says she is not interested in spending time with me.

So drop it. Be alert to opportunities though. If you know she likes running, tell her you are going running. Make it a time that is likely to be good for her. If you know she likes things to be repaired, tell her you are repairing xyz. If she hovers in the background as you screw on a kitchen cupboard door, ask if it is straight. Thank her for her feedback.

Physical attractiveness - this is something I can work on sure, anyone can work on this. But honestly I don't look much different now than 12+ years ago when we met, just a tad more grey hair and maybe 5lbs more. I'm maybe a bit above average but its not like I'm going to change into a don juan no matter what I do in this regard.

My husband recently started ironing his shirts. He looks great.

So what else can I do?

Be Sherlock Holmes. By the way, keep checking her phone which you said she keeps unlocked. I'm not sure you have the whole story yet. Do not let her find out that you are doing this.

I also wanted to add .. her focus and areas of interests these days seems to be very much into women empowerment and those type of themes. I feel like our marriage may be a tragedy of the #metoo movement more than a pandemic divorce

That is to wind you up, ignore it.

3 adult children
(formerly lied_to_again)
N
N
Are you doing fun activities with the kids? Showing them thoughtfulness? This is a need no one else can meet the way you can and will differentiate your efforts from anyone else’s.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
N
N
Also you can make plans with your family and hers. This is another need no one else can fill the way you can.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
N
N
Think on what you can give her that no one else can. Actions speak louder than words. Maybe there is something in the house or car that she has asked for your help with that you had ignored.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
G
G
What did she 'nag' about? When a man doesn't adress his wifes complaints, it may turn into 'nagging'. What are these problems and can you fix them now?

R
OP Offline
R
so the past couple of weeks have been "good" in the sense that i have worked hard on myself. a lot. love busters are being eliminated, am being kind and generally friendly

but the sticking point i have is ... as i mentioned above earlier .. she is not giving me any opportunity to meet her needs, affection is nil as it has been for over a year. we are like two kind and caring room mates who take care of two little kids. nothing more nothing less. its driving me insane. technically the only difference since we "separated" about a month and a half ago is that she moved to different bedroom and now i do my own laundry ... everything else is just kind of like the past 1 to 1.5 years of slowly decaying marriage that we have had.

this past weekend an interesting interaction ... my mom called on facetime, we were talking, then I gave it to kids, and then my mom asked how is wife (who was in background and aware of call) so I gave her the phone. they had a nice video chat (my parents know about my wifes ask for separation and desire for divorce but they still have good relationship) anyway I went into my home office and after a while my wife came with my phone and said she saw some (imaginary text) of a women asking me about meeting up / going on a date. she proceeded to tell me that I should stop accusing her of infidelity because I am the one who is cheating ... then she went on to say that now that we are separated and heading towards divorce it doesn't matter anyway (if it didn't matter why was she upset .. and more curiously - why did she make stuff up as there was no such text ... did she just imagine something? or was she just trying to make up some stuff to get a point across?). then she made some off hand comment to say we are still getting divorced even if we have a good time when my parents come over and stay with us for a few weeks this summer. and that if we are not arguing and fighting now doesn't mean we are reconciling.

we were unable to finish the discussion because I had to take son to a b'day party... but later that night I texted my wife a short and sweet note that she doesn't need to worry about me cheating because I never stopped to love her and i'm not the one asking for divorce. that she may be OK with dating other people while separated but I am not, and I don't plan to date anyone until after divorce. she did not respond to this text. next day as usual we had peaceful day (because of course now I am working hard on love busters .. previously I would have tried to force a response from her ... now I just let it go)

L
L
so the past couple of weeks have been "good" in the sense that i have worked hard on myself. a lot. love busters are being eliminated, am being kind and generally friendly

Excellent news

but the sticking point i have is ... as i mentioned above earlier .. she is not giving me any opportunity to meet her needs, affection is nil as it has been for over a year. we are like two kind and caring room mates who take care of two little kids. nothing more nothing less. its driving me insane.

How are you doing with engaging her in recreational activities? We gave given you some suggestions. Who makes dinner? What joint activities can you do with the children that she will be unable to resist because they are so attractive? You will get pushback of course because she wants to pretend she is separated.

she proceeded to tell me that I should stop accusing her of infidelity

Are you doing that? If so, you must stop right now. That is a love buster.

Of course you should continue to covertly monitor her communications but secretly. Have you put spyware onto her phone yet?

then she went on to say that now that we are separated and heading towards divorce it doesn't matter anyway (if it didn't matter why was she upset .. and more curiously - why did she make stuff up as there was no such text

She is prodding you for a reaction. If you calmly shrugged your shoulders, you did well.

then she made some off hand comment to say we are still getting divorced even if we have a good time when my parents come over and stay with us for a few weeks this summer. and that if we are not arguing and fighting now doesn't mean we are reconciling.

I spy a chink in her armor - good work :-)

but later that night I texted my wife a short and sweet note that she doesn't need to worry about me cheating because I never stopped to love her and i'm not the one asking for divorce. that she may be OK with dating other people while separated but I am not, and I don't plan to date anyone until after divorce.

Nice, if she is the kind of person that likes text messages, that was perfect.

Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint.

3 adult children
(formerly lied_to_again)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation