Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#3017054 09/27/23 11:53 AM
N
OP Offline
N
I'm a bit confused about Just Compensation. As I understand it, it's cutting off all contact with the OP, making a relapse impossible by putting into place extraordinary precautions, and meeting emotional needs. Did I miss something? That doesn't sound like compensation to me. Instead of "just compensation", it sounds like, "just do what you were supposed to be doing anyway." It's a good idea, but I don't see how the word compensation fits with that idea.

What is Just Compensation (link)

S
S
Welcome to MB.

Compensation is some kind of forfeit designed to make up for the loss or hurt.

If the unfaithful spouse was not doing the things they should have been doing to keep the marriage safe and make the faithful spouse happy, then doing the things that should have been done all along is compensation.

Thankfully, Dr Harley's rules for Just Compensation benefit the unfaithful spouse also, assuming they want to stay in the marriage. It hurts for a while to give up the other person, but if all the steps are taken properly, a better marriage is the result. There will be no sense of forfeit when that happens - as there shouldn't be.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by SugarCane
If the unfaithful spouse was not doing the things they should have been doing to keep the marriage safe and make the faithful spouse happy, then doing the things that should have been done all along is compensation.

Still not seeing how it's compensation. Under Just Compensation, both spouses end up meeting the ENs of the other spouse (as it should be). So it seems like the BS is also compensating the WS just as much as the WS is compensating the BS.

On one hand, I'm just disputing the terminology. I don't disagree with the idea of what to do.

On the other hand, it does seem appropriate there should actually be 'compensation'. That is, the WS should in some way make it up to the BS. But if the BS is doing the same thing, then it also seems that the BS also "making it up" to the WS. That part doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by namescreen4; 09/27/23 07:40 PM.
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Yes. It's a great concept. I just think it should have had a different name.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 258 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation