LOVE IS NOT DEAD -

"This is my command: Love each other." John 15:17

It was a Friday morning and I had stopped in a avorite coffee shop while out on ministry errands. The customers were a cross-section of retirees and working men. One elderly couple who came in immediately attracted my attention. Both appeared to be in their late seventies and were steadying each other as they stepped over he threshold at the restaurant's front door.

"Honey," The woman began, while smiling at her husband, "Where do you want to sit today?"
"It doesn't matter. Anywhere you are comfortable," came his reply.
Similar comments followed over who would sit here at the table. The gentleman picked up two menus and handed one to his wife.

"I found your favorite, diced ham and eggs," she suggested.
For the next half hour I watched this couple. this was a textbook case of love. They demonstrated all the kindness toward each other of a couple on a first date, yet I overheard conversation about their grandchildren. They offered each other condiments that were on the table, and asked each other if their meal was good. Plans for the day were discussed.

When I got up to pay my check, I "happened" to bump the man's chair the slightest bit, and just had to apologize. I confessed to having eavesdropped on them and complimented them on demonstrating love for each other. The man told me how long they had been married. While he spoke, his bride beamed like a schoolgirl who had just received an A+ from her teacher.

"Do everything in love." I Corinthians 16:14

As I drove away, I wondered about all that could not be discovered in a thirty-second conversation. I wondered what they had been through in their years of marriage. I wondered about their spiritual condition. I wondered if either had ever been unfaithful. I wondered how often they had forgiven each other. I wondered about the marriages of their children. I wondered if they had ever been separated, or even divorced. I wondered who taught them to love each other so openly.

For each of my wondering questions, I reached one conclusion. Love is not dead. I suspect that at times you and I are guilty of focusing so much on hurting and broken marriages that we overlook good marriages that are all around us.

All marriages, even healthy and strong ones,have times of conflict and struggle, but through our Lord Jesus Christ we can have victory through those valleys, and come out loving our spouse even more. Far greater, we come out of the valleys of marriage loving the Lord even more, once we recognize who heals the hurts at home.
Valentine's Day is a day the world attempts to convince us that everyone needs to be in love, at least for 24 hours.
Millions of dollars spent by men and women attempting to prove their love for each other. If you know the Lord Jesus, you know the greatest lover who ever lived. His love for you and me cost far more than a dozen red roses or a heart shaped box of candy.

Jesus loved each of us so much that He gave His life to pay the sin debt that none of us could ever afford to pay. On judgement day, no one will remember who received what for which Valentine's Day. We will remember a Savior who dies so that we might receive His free gift of
eternal life.

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

Bob Steinkamp
Rejoice Marriage Ministries

http://rejoiceministries.org