Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
weep Offline OP
OP Offline
W
HOW MUCH DOES A PRAYER WEIGH?<P>When you pray God hears.<P>Louise Redden, a poorly dressed lady with a look of defeat on her face, walked into a grocery store. She approached the owner of the store in a most humble manner and asked if he would let her charge a few groceries. She softly explained that her husband was very ill and unable to work, they had seven children and they needed food.<P>John Longhouse, the grocer, scoffed at her and requested that she leave his store. Visualising the family needs, she said: 'Please, sir! I will bring you the money just as soon as I can.' John told her he could not give her credit, as she did not have a charge account at her store. Standing beside the counter was a customer who overhead the conversation between the two. The customer walked forward and told the grocer that he would stand good for whatever she needed for her family. The grocer said in a very reluctant voice, 'Do you have a grocery list?' Louise replied, 'Yes, sir'. 'OK' he said, 'put your grocery list on the scales and whatever your grocery list weighs, I will give you that amount in groceries.' Louise, hesitated a moment with a bowed head, then she reached into her purse and tool a piece of paper and scribbled something on it.<P>She then laid the piece of paper on the scale carefully with her head still bowed. The eyes of the grocer and customer showed amazement when the scales went down and stayed down. The grocer, staring at the scales, turned slowly to the customer and said begrudgingly, 'I can't believe it'. The customer smiled and the grocer started putting the groceries on the other side of the scales. The scale did not balance so he continued to put more and more groceries on them until the scales would hold no more. The grocer stood there in utter disgust.<P>Finally, he grabbed the piece of paper from the scales and looked at it with great amazement. It was not a grocery list, it was a prayer which said:<P> 'Dear Lord, you know my Needs and I am leaving this in your hands.'<P>The grocer gave her the groceries that he had gathered and stood in stunned silence. Louise thanked him and left the store. The customer handed a fifty-dollar bill to the grocer and said 'It was worth every penny of it.' It was sometime later that the grocer discovered that the scales were broken; therefore, only God knows how much a prayer weighs.<P>POWER OF PRAYER: Anyone has stories to share? I will share mine later.<P>God bless all of you<BR>from weep

O
O
Dear Weep, what a wonderful thread to start. God does answer our prayers and often in quite marvelous ways. I have one story about answered prayer in particular, that comes to mind. My most precious answered prayer happened several years ago. My mother passed away when my youngest daughter was four months old. That same year, my H's infidelity came to light and we separated after Christmas. When he left, he took my wedding ring. I was devastated. My mother had given me a birtstone ring that I had treasured over the years and I placed this ring on the finger that had once held my wedding ring. One morning, my H came by and was especially combatitive (he was then living with OW). A tussle occurred and he pulled on my hand. After he left, I discovered that the stone had fallen out of this ring. I literally got down on my knees and asked the Lord to show me he loved me and that I wasn't entirely abandoned. I asked him to help me find the stone to my ring. I searched for several weeks and did not find it. One morning as I was placing laundry in the washing machine, I heard a faint tinkle. I looked in the bottom of the washer and found the stone. I have "significant hearing loss" per my hearing tests. The stone is quite small and could have been lost in the washer. Finding the stone was a miracle and it brought showers of tears from my eyes. Several weeks later, I went to a jewelry store to have the ring fixed. The jeweler told me that the ring could be fixed, but that he had to replace the head and it wouldn't be the same. He also told me how much it would cost. I broke into tears and left the store. The ring had great meaning and the words "It won't be the same" greatly disheartened me. As I was placing the baby in her car seat out in the parking lot, a customer from the store ran up to me and said, "I want to pay to have your ring repaired". Through my tears, I explained to her that it was not the money (although that was tight), but the fact it wouldn't be the same. I told her that I believed in the Lord and that I knew that everything would be all right someday. I gave her a brief explanation of what the ring meant and how the stone had been found. The concern of a complete stranger touched my heart. I knew that God had to love me to arrange all these things in answer to my prayer. My ring was fixed (and looked just the same) by another jeweler at a later date, but the circumstances that surrounded this situation were what truly showed me that even prayers that are silly and emotional are heard by the Lord.

H
H
Weep, Oneday and others! How true this is of our Father's care for us. He indeed loves us with an everlasting love. It is amazing to me His love. It is so personal and intimate-like in the events of Oneday's ring--things no one else might know or understand, but He knows and He reaches our deepest need and hearts! His daily encounters with us or walking silently beside us are amazing. He truely is amazing! Thanks for sharing these stories and reminding me of how much in a hundred little ways that matter to no one else that He touches me. I remember Karenna and her pain is soothed a bit by the book her mother and sister put together. I remember for me the last 3 weeks I have so much not wanted to sit alone in church and so He knew and He would crowd people in around me. He knows for all of us and reaches our deepest needs.<P>

H
hw Offline
H
Weep the Lord was surely with you when you started this thread. There has been so much discouragement as of late! I will share later, but my greatest joy and story is what i said on the "Do you know the true meaning of Christmas thread." <BR>Thank you weep, this certainly reminds us at this time how much He really does love us and how many prayers He does answer.<BR>When discouragement hits we only recall what is not answered yet, but the Lord says, Recall His miracles and keep them in your heart!<P>Thanks for helping us do this.!<P>Father, recall to everyone this day, the prayers You have answered for each of us. Show us how You have not left us. That You are a God that keeps Hs promises, and You answer them in ways that are immeasurably more than we could ask. Thank You Lord, for giving weep this message to share. In Jesus name, Amen.

H
H
to weep and all the others, weep knows me from the pregancy child board. she is always an inspiration to us there and i can she it is everywhere she goes! i am sure she is like that in life also.<P>thanks for all the beautiful stories. they touched my heart and made me realize god always hears us.<P>happy_girl<P>may the grace of our lord be with you always

K
K
Thank you, weep. You are wonderful! <P>I surely did feel "sifted as wheat" for much of this year but mostly for things that were happening just before I got pregnant. The pregnancy and whole experience was an amazing experience in God's mercy when seen in context of my life and marriage. Today (well, yesterday) I had another very cathartic revelation of His infinite love and mercy. No longer do I feel sifted. I feel at peace, saved and loved.<P>My heart is full of gratitude for His blessings. The resolution of the problems in my marriage and life had to be done on the Lord's terms, not my terms. What a whirlwind. I would not have volunteered for this one. That Luke verse - Satan hath desired to sift you as wheat - has been a very meaningful scripture for me these last 9 months. <P>Now I have greater personal knowledge that God is very much in control of the little things too. None of this is outside His concern. His hand is on me and on my family. Miracles of the heart, and of the home, and health, and finances, and of wisdom imparted, etc. etc. etc. <P>His hand is on MB and all of this group too. Your posts touch me to tears so often, but I am usually quiet about it. I have seen much growth and progress in many of you too.<P>The prayers of the faithful have great effectiveness. Your prayers for me must have been weighty indeed. Thank you all.<BR> <BR>Today I even have more hope for my husband. God did send me to him for His own reasons.<p>[This message has been edited by Karenna (edited December 14, 2000).]

T
Taj Offline
T
The Power of Prayer is so evident on this forum that it is astounding. Just the very fact that we feel the freedom to share so deeply from out hearts and have a place to leave our burdens. The encouragement to go forward even though we may not feel like it, the strength to do the "undoable", the wisdom to figure out our next step, the courage to take a baby step forward when we would rather run, these are all things which I have experienced through the prayers of everyone here.<P>This place is evidence of the Power of Prayer!<P>

A
A
What a great thread!! I am reminded often that the Lord does hear our prayers, even though it seems as though they are going unheard, and is working things out for us always for good.<P>One of the answers to prayer that stands out to me in my life happened while my husband and I were separated. My husband was adamant that he was going to take custody of our son and was so sure that he would. He had told our son what he wanted him to say in order to get custody of him. My son had said that he was going to live with his dad. At 13 he was old enough to tell the courts what he wanted. Due to my husband's alcoholism and the way I had been treated (physical, emotional and verbal abuse for years) I could not let this happen. I prayed every day before the meeting with the judge that the Lord would intervene and keep S in my custody. The day before S was to talk to the judge (he wanted to talk to son alone) I overheard my H saying to S "you want to live with me don't you? Tell the judge you want to live with me". S told him he would. I was so hurt but said nothing. Just prayed and prayed. <P>I took S to see the judge the next day. The entire time S was in the judge's office I prayed my heart out. After their meeting was over, as we walked to the car, S said "I'm not supposed to tell you what I said, but I'm going to anyway..... I told the judge I wanted to stay with you". I was so full of gratefulness to the Lord for what He had done and for the way He spoke to my son's heart. I was so elated I felt weak. It was so amazing how the Lord moved and how everything that had been happening just fell together. Within a month of that day with the judge, my husband was back home.<P>I still marvel at His tremendous powers and the great power of prayer. Our God is an AWESOME God and He Reigns over all!

W
weep Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Dear onedayatatime,<P>Thank you for sharing the beautiful story. Yes, God is marvellous, He knows even about the little things and the important things. I am touched by the fact that despite your hearing, you were made able to find the ring after all that time.<P>I am so happy you feel God's presence.<P>God bless you<BR>take care<BR>from weep<P>

W
weep Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Dear Harmonious Melody,<P>Thank you for sharing that God resides within us when we invite Him into every room in us, and He is always Omnipotent and reads our every thought but all He needs from us is to ASK. Like you did when you go to church.<P>God bless you<BR>take care<BR>from weep

W
weep Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Dear hw,<P>Thank you for the prayers and yes, I really believe that God led me to share this thread which I had in my file for some time. I took 3 out to choose from and I was vacillating between which to choose and what do I do with them. I am glad that Taj found the Noah's Ark practical and timely and that this thread is for recalling his miracles when we feel discouraged. That is why we need fellowship. Glory be to God.<P>hw,<BR>I have fallen in the power of the Holy Spirit before and it is a wonderful feeling. His presence is so powerful that when he is in a room, we who are touched will need to prostrate ourselves in His presence. <P>I remember the healing ministry I attended when I was healed of my emotional trauma. The next day, I felt totally empty in my stomach where it once was burning with violence and hatred and all sorts of horrid emotions. It was literally the pits of fury but it was gone. God is a healer.<P>The Holy Spirit is able to take away your trauma, in many cases, God uses an instrument (annionted preacher) but in some cases He will manifest Himself through prayers or intercessions. <P>He cleanses you of your torment and emotional trauma to refill your soul with peace, love and joy and all the fruits of the spirit.<P>God bless you<BR>take care<BR>from weep

W
weep Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Dear happy_girl,<P>Thank you for your kind words. I never saw myself as an inspiration - I am actually easily embarrassed to think I can be one, especially as a servant of the Lord. I often see myself as being not good enough to be a testimony. But, now that you have said those kind words, I will try very hard to be good. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>God works in mysterious ways. Never in a million years would I believe that I would one day be sitting here typing away about God's miracles and the power of prayers to total strangers. God has plans for us, we just need to allow Him to work in us, and let His will be done in our lives.<P>Do you want to share any thing? I'd love to hear. Share it for the glory of God.<P>Thank you also for linking the sites.<P>God bless you<BR>take care<BR>from weep<BR>

W
weep Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Dear Karenna,<P>Thank you for your kind words and although I have never met you, I feel close to you and although I cannot picture your life, I believe that God has good things lined up for you. Your children are one of your greatest blessings. There is a book by Stormie on "The Power of A Praying Parent".<P>These crises that you have gone through, I believe, can be used to make you stronger and greatly focussed on the Lord so that each and everyone of your children will be instructed to walk in God's Light through God's word. <P>I am beginning to understand the responsibilities I have now that I have one precious bundle of joy and am praying for wisdom and blessings and for God to cover us with the blood of Jesus.<P>Do you have some stories you like to share?<P>God bless you<BR>take care<BR>from weep

W
weep Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Dear Taj,<P>Thank you for 'rescuing' out of the pit I found myself in.<P>When I first saw this site, I was happy because I was given the same book by my brother. Very quickly, I felt unworthy to be posting here because I was so angry and very unChrist-like. It took me some time and when I was totally totally alone, having possibly exhausted everyone I know who kept asking me to get over quickly, that I said a prayer and started to write my first post. Then I said a prayer for Jesus to get ONE reply and that there be ONE person at least who understands my story. And he sent you, Taj.<P>Prayers work and I know I will have to share this story publicly because I believe it is the right thing to do to honour God - the one about my baby and the hospital - I will post after the replies.<P>God bless you<BR>take care<BR>from weep

W
weep Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Dear AW,<P>Thank you for sharing the touching story.<P>It is indeed true that when we ask for God's will be done in our lives and marriage, He will.<P>God can soften the hearts of our WS and change them. But it takes faith and prayers, and sometimes, fasting. Although Jesus already knows what we want before we ask, He wants us to ask because He is our Father and He delights to give us what is good for us.<P>Futhermore, when we ask, and when it is given, we know how much God is with us. God wants fellowship with us, and praying and talking to God.<P>God bless you<BR>take care<BR>from weep

W
weep Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Dear all,<P>It is late but I believe that I should share my story as well. I have not been sharing this story much because I wasn't sure about the reactions I would get. Recently, two 'strangers' I have shared this story with told me two things "This is a great testimony of God" and "God wants you to leave it to Prayers, and He will Deliver you as He has shown".<P>MY STORY:<BR>When I was a few months pregnant, I started to get premonitions that my baby will be born through an operation and that there will be an accident from the operating theatre to the nursery and it involved the midwife dropping my baby. I prayed for this horrible thought to go away but it wouldn't.<P>I didn't know that I was going to have my baby through an operation then. It was only two weeks before the due date that my baby was found to be too big to be delivered naturally. So, the thoughts of the operating theatre and my baby were very disturbing. I confided in my H and in our usual prayers, I would pray about my baby's journey from the operating theatre to the nursery - every step of the way, and I prayed for the best nurse to carry her and pray for Jesus to be there.<P><BR>(I had to wait outside the operating room as my doctor was delayed for half an hour. A<BR> nurse came over to chat with me, assuring me that I was very fortunate to have the<BR> best, most experienced and respected midwife in that hospital! One prayer answered<BR> already!)<P><BR>I was fine after the operation and we left the hospital with no problems whatsoever. After we arrived home safely, my H told me that as soon as my baby was pushed out of the operating theatre, a huge metallic adult bed was out of control and unmanned and came suddenly at them, hitting the little cot causing it to spin out of the midwife's hands. The midwife made a quick move and held tight onto the cot out of harm's way.<P>The rest of the journey was fine and baby was safe. Praise the Lord. <P><BR>My prayers every night concerning what I had no control over worked! I had no power or real concrete knowledge about such premonitions before, but I felt that if I leave it in God's hands, He would help me. He did. Not only in strengthening my faith, in keeping my baby safe, in preparing me that He is real and has been and will be with me all through life, He shooked my H to the core. My H, he has since confessed, never was close to God, and He was a little sceptical of my premonitions but he heard my praying in great detail everything that might go wrong and covering my baby in the blood of Jesus, that when he witnessed the accident first hand, he knew that there is a true God and He listens to prayers. God also convicted him of God's presence. God is real. There is eternal life. All Glory is to God.<P>"May God pour blessings on your lives. May you learn to hear and recognise the voice of your shephard, the Lord Jesus and allow Him to work miracles in your life from this day forth and forevermore. IJN, all God's people say "Amen""<P>Love<BR>from weep<p>[This message has been edited by weep (edited December 15, 2000).]

C
C
weep<P>I am new to this site but have gotten to know taj through e-mails recently. I loved reading about your premonition, your prayers, God's protecting your baby from the accident in the hospital, and your husband's reaction. <P>I, too, have come to know Him through answered prayers and direct interventions. I'm posting only to say that I have been told, and it makes sense to me, that when you are given a premonition of an impending accident or other calamity, the purpose in giving you the premonition is so that you can pray against its harming anyone, as happened in your baby's case. <P>Many times in my life I have heard someone tell of a dream or premonition of some terrible event, and without knowing any better, they and others just thought they had special powers to know the future, and I was guilty of this once. <P>Prior to the assassinations of John and Robert Kennedy, I had a strong inner knowing that three leaders of our country would soon be killed. When JFK was shot, I knew he was the first. Then when RFK was shot, I knew he was the second, and then when Martin Luther King was shot, I knew he was the third. <P>How sad it is that I took this inner knowing as an opportunity to exhibit pride, because I later heard that God had told a great man of God that if He could have found someone who knew how to intercede effectively, the bullet would not have hit JFK (and presumably RFK and MLK would have been spared as well.)<P>I realize that some may not believe this, and I started not to post it because of this, but when one does have premonitions, and even when one does not, it certainly doesn't hurt to pray for protection for our loved ones, our communities, our country, our leaders, and the world.<p>[This message has been edited by computergal (edited December 15, 2000).]

W
weep Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Dear Computergal,<P>Sorry, I have been away on an Anniversary thingy but it didn't turn out good at all.<P>I am back and I am glad to read that I am not alone at all when it comes to such inner feelings. I recall the ocassions when my sister used to tell me about certain pastors or church elders having visions and prophecies and I often wondered how they really know for sure that God gave them those signs. I learnt recently that God used to speak in supernatural signs to His chosen leaders in the old testament but it is very rare that God appears to human beings in supernatural ways in present times. The way to tell if they are of God is to pray and if you feel the peace of God, then it is of God, and when it is biblical.<P>If I really try to recall dreams that came true, then there were a number before but I, too, didn't pray about those terrible events because I never actually think that I should do so. One of them was a dream of my former boss's soon to be delivered baby and the dream wasn't good at all - it later turned out to be a tragedy for the family. Then my WS's adultery - again I had a very clear vision and actually talked as the thing was happening to ask my H to stop. It was so clear and present, I thought I was day-dreaming. I just asked for peace....<P>There were other dreams that made me anxious and these dreams became stories in the newspaper the next day, one complete with the same photograph. I was getting very scared and starting calling people to ask about such incidents. I was told 'word of knowledge' could be the reason when God wants to warn you and tell you something, He gives you word of knowledge. I never was able to piece it together till after the A was exposed. In my anguish, my sister and I prayed to God for an answer and the whole sequence of events that happened throughout the A unfolded - from the vision of the adultery to the dreams of baby, and colleagues coming often in my last month of pregnancy to ask 'what if your H has an A?' and strangely similar and rude questions, to more dreams and flashes whenever I was in WS's car that someone was in my seat and trying to take my place and I would actually ask WS 'who was last in this seat' often, and more flashes of his A till I thought I was being overimaginative. Then the whole thing unravelled and the newstories were used to confirm that the messages were real and factual as are those dreams that appeared in the papers in exact form the next day. I was bewildered and thanked God that it was truly His Amazing Grace that prepared me and now helped me to understand that He knows how much each of His children can take. I am truly humbled that He knows me so well. I would not have survived without knowing that God is real and there really is eternal life. It took that much to keep me just sane. There were more such stuff but I think I have said enough.<P>I understand, computergal, how you cannot share those strong inner feelings for fear that people see you as 'strange'. I was afraid to share those, too, but the inner feelings say 'do it for the glory of God; it doesn't matter what people think of you, God has given abundantly and you have to share to let others know that God is real and there really is a true God and His Son is Jesus'. I was never very evangelical. I was often very shy about telling others about Jesus and when I did, I am not as ardent as others, which is not what Christ wants us to be like - fishers of men.<P>And how is life with you now, computergal? I actually haven't 'met' you before.<P><BR>God bless you<BR>take care<BR>from weep<P>

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 758 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation