Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hi all. Had a good talk with my H today about what emotional needs his affair was meeting, while I had mentally "checked out" of our marriage because of my depression. So I just felt like sharing.<P>He said the OW was fun and she liked to go out, and to a certain extent, he liked her admiration, like she was putting him on a pedestal. Also, while I was depressed, we were not having sex very often. So, with this information, and of course, Harley's questionaire, I've pinpointed my H's top three emotional needs:<P>1. sexual fulfillment<BR>2. admiration<BR>3. recreational companionship<P>Interesting. It all seems so simple, once you start looking at it in terms of emotional needs. I'm reading Harley's "Surviving an Affair", and it really hit home about how affairs begin if the betrayer is not getting his/her needs met at home.<P>So all that soul-mate stuff is a bunch of crap. Your soul-mate is the one who's willing to meet your needs and make you happy, and you're willing to reciprocate. My husband IS my soulmate. I love him more than anything.

R
R
Marlo,<P>Yes, I agree about the emotional needs being highly important. But, I also think even more important are GREAT COMMUNICATION skills. So what if you try to tell your S they aren't meeting your needs if your S never listens or never really HEARS!?!?!<P>Roll Me Away<P>------------------<BR>"Life is made up, not of great sacrifices or duties, but of little things in which smiles and kindnesses and small obligations, given habitually, are what win and preserve the heart and secure comfort."<P>Sir Humphry Davy<BR>

J
J
Marlo,<P>I'd say you pretty much nailed it. It sounds so easy and it is straight forward. Sometimes it is hard to get the S to see it though. You sound like you are making progress. What did H say about the results of the survey?<P>JL

OP Offline
Roll Me Away: I'm with you on the great communication skills. My H and I are blessed with the ability to communicate very well. For example, when I discovered the affair, we sat down and had a very rational talk about what we wanted, what wasn't working, and if we thought we could make it work. Of course, the night before while he was out of town, I emptied his bookshelf onto the floor!!! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] Without good communication, it's hard to even get started.<P>JL: My H was into the survey. He thought it was interesting. We both actually share the same top four, although not in the same order. That's probably because we don't have any children, so financial support, family commitment, and domestic support aren't very high for either of us. We do a pretty good job of splitting the chores!<P>His:<BR>-sexual fulfillment<BR>-recreational companionship<BR>-affection<BR>-honesty & openness<BR>-admiration<P>Mine:<BR>-affection<BR>-honesty & openness<BR>-recreational companionship<BR>-sexual fulfillment<BR>-conversation<P>You'd think with as well as we communicate, this never could have happened to us... but it did. Oh well. We're not made out of titanium.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 380 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation