Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#412803 04/23/02 04:33 AM
H
heenie Offline OP
OP Offline
H
3 days ago my husband informed me he had an affair with a girl from work. he broke it off and says he wants to try to work things out with us.
i made a counseling appt. and we went last night.
it appears that he has been depressed for months now and the affair was more of a result of his depression. he does not want to go to a dr. or try for another counselor.(the one last night was no help)
i am so frustrated and angry that he will not even deal with his depression so that maybe WE can begin to heal from the affair.
he needs help, but am i suppose to carry the burden of helping him get to a dr. and counselor while i am hurting so much from his betrayal. i am afraid if i leave that he will just go back to her or some other form of escape and never deal with his depression and issues.
by the way i am 7 months pregnant with our second child.
heenie

#412804 04/23/02 09:13 AM
A
A
HENNIE, IT IS GOING TO TAKE SOMETIME. YOU NEED TO WORRY ABOUT YOU AND THE BABY. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF FIRST. HOPE IN TIME YOUR H WILL COME AROUND AND SEE WHAT HE IS DOING TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. PLEASE READ ALL YOU CAN IN HERE AND TRY TO VENT IF YOU NEED TO. PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF. REST WHEN YOU CAN AND TRY NOT TO UPSET YOURSELF. I KNOW THAT IS GOING TO BE HARD BUT REMEMBER YOU HAVE A LITTLE ONE RIGHT NOW THAT NEEDS A HEALTHY MOTHER. GOOD LUCK

#412805 04/24/02 11:07 AM
Heenie,<p>Yes, it seems absurd that we, the Betrayed Spouses, suddenly find ourselves with the burden of "helping" our Betrayers with their problems and try to fix them up, while we are in shock, dismay, anger, depression, and all kinds of hurt ourselves from the D-Day. It drove me nuts that I was supposed to be so considerate of my W's feelings and sensitive to HER NEEDS! WHAT?! Are you kidding! Right now I want to rip her a good one! But alas, this isn't productive and I refrain. I feel sad that you are pregnant at the same time that you are dealing with this. It has to affect the baby. I agree with ALR1224 that you must really concentrate on yourself during this last critical phase of your pregnancy. If your husband suffers from chronic depression, he is possibly going to need both medical and psychological treatments. But, he must be willing to get these treatments. He has to want to fix this problem. You cannot be his doctor or his counselor for his depression. The A has its own set of issues that you two can deal with together, and you can help him with his depression too by being supportive, caring, and loving. But again, be careful that you don't find yourself consumed with the daunting task of fixing him up. I hate to even say this, and it is conjecture on my part, but sometimes the BS will act as though the are the wounded sparrow or lost puppy that needs YOUR sympathy and love and understanding. This helps them partly excuse their bad behavior (the A) and it diverts your attention off the A as well. They win on both counts. My W was doing the same thing. I've heard everything from depression, to boredom, to age 40's crisis, to low self-esteem, to marriage woes, and just plain craziness, for why she did what she did (2 PA's), but none of it makes me feel any better for the choices that she made. If you stay, you must stay because you love your H enough to work through this and try to heal. Don't stay just because you are worried about what he will do with himself should you go away. Depending on how depressed he is, he may actually tell you he is considering suicide when you threaten to end the M. But again, this is all conjecture. You will have to sort out your feelings about him and your marriage to see if you are going to perservere and make the M work.<p>As much as you can, pray, it works.
Keep posting here, that helps a lot too.
Good luck to you!

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 218 guests, and 103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Comfortable Shoe, Sourdine, Abela Laye, Ardent Center, Lost@1969
71,846 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation