Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 296
2
Member
Member
2 Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 296
Had a nice talk with the W the other night. About an hour-and-a-half. We covered a lot of things. Actually, it appears that we covering too much! My W is still beating the drum on stuff that happened 7 years ago all the way through the present day! After she was done I was like, "Damn, I sound like such piece of crap! Why do you even want to keep me around?" She said, "Because I Love You and I Realized That I Can't Leave You." "Wow, I guess I should feel so honored that you went out, banged around with our friend, had a one-nighter, then decided you couldn't leave me and came back when I didn't even know you were gone in the first place!" She won't say it, but I am positive that she was convinced that either she was going to leave me or I was going to leave her and be out of the picture and she wouldn't have to deal with telling me about the A's. Both PA's offend and hurt me, but the real "kick in the balls" was when she told me about the friend of her family that she did in the garage in the middle of the night while I was home in bed sleeping! And that [censored] actually stayed with us for 2 weeks! I told her that unless she was tripping out on acid I do not see any excuse what-so-ever for that one! What an absolute insult to me! Zero, absolute zero respect! That one gets to me more than the 3 mo. A w/OM. Then I went on about how the OM won't be out of our lives. OM's daughter and her daughter are best friends, same school. OM is also art instructor for her other daughter. OM and W take turns w/pick-up and drop-offs of kids to and from school, etc. I said that she must have really thought I would not be around at all. I don't know. <p>I started off with a list of things that she has said since D-Day that concern me:
  • "Did you think you got away with your crap for free? Did you really think nothing was going to happen because of it?"
  • "I can forgive you for your mistake if you'll forgive me for mine."
  • "Just because I made a mistake don't think I'm going to just sit here and take s**t from you for it."
  • "I'll never do that again. (pause) I think."
    RE: The One-Nighter
  • "I can probably go another 7-8 yrs w/o doing that again." RE: Have another affair.
  • "I didn't tell you (about the A) because I feel guilty, I only told you to make things right with God and to make us change so we don't stay on the same treadmill that we're on."
  • "I can't guarantee it won't happen again, but as long as we are ontrack the way I want us to be, it shouldn't happen again." (Wow, no pressure there!)
  • "On the surface it only appears that what I did is worse than what you did, but actually what you did was worse and lasted longer and happened earlier in our marriage." RE: My 4 yr EA
I'm sure there is more, but you get the gist of it. Not very reassuring statements. And as we are talking and reviewing my "ugly" past, she asks me for details of all the calls I've made to the EA during that 4 yr time, or to my exiled daughter (another story in itself), and I think to myself, "This kind of questioning and rehashing isn't going to be very productive at all!" <p>Now I ask what her emotional needs are. She asks for only one thing: Complete honesty and openess. This includes sharing every thought and feeling I have all day. If I find someone attractive and perhaps fantasize about that person, she wants to know about it. I say, "Why do you need to know every thought? She says because if you share it with me you won't act on it. I say, Well you shared your thoughts with me about wanting to have a 3 way w/mutual friend and I said no and you went off a couple weeks later and started your A anyway! So what good is sharing the thoughts? I am not the one "acting" on fantasies, you are! And I continue, "And what was that speel you gave me about how good you felt that I did not want to participate in a threesome with the OM (before the A) and that you liked that I cared about you and was looking out for you? You went off and did what you wanted anyway!" She says, "I told a long time ago that when I stop talking to you, I stray." Then I say, "Yeah, you stopped talking to me AFTER I SAID NO! You didn't like my answer so you shut-up about it and went off and did what you wanted! Why did you do it?" Reply: Because he has the same sensual touch that you do. SO WHAT?! You're probably going to meet a lot of people that are like me in one way or another but you don't have to have sex with them! What would you do if I went after everyone that I was attracted to because they reminded me of you? Man, it's hard to drive the point home sometimes!<p>So we boiled it down to this. The most hurtful thing to her is loss of emotional intimacy and connection, for me it was the sexual involvement, and being that was purely a pleasure ride for her, not an emotional one, I can't help but to take what she did personally. After all these years of hearing how wonderful and special a lover I am and that I please her more than any other lover, she stills needs more adventure? I said, "Okay, if my heart is more important than my body, what if I had sex with others just for the fun of it and told you it didn't matter because you still have my heart. Would you accept that?" (sarcastic reply), "I don't know, why don't you try it and we'll find out!" Sometimes it seems like an endless circle. Even she said at the end of the talk, "I don't know if this is repairable." <p>Perhaps this brought us to the end of the line. Maybe we are starting to see each other in reality now, as non-compatible partners, instead of just gliding along as we were on "auto-pilot" or on that "treadmill" as she calls it. In one way the talking calmed me down, but in another way it was even more disturbing in its revelation about her and I together, and as individuals. <p>She wants to work on doing things together, shared activites, shared interests, which we rarely do. That's a start, I guess, but will love come back again? The longer I stay the more I think she thinks that I am going to be around forever. I don't want her to feel that assured yet. I want the right to change my mind later, even if we do try to mend it. I told her that now that this happened I am going to be more my real self and she may not like me after all. I've kept my mouth shut for so long, or ignored or just accepted things nonchalantly. If I am going to stay, that cannot continue. I really will die inside if I don't come out of this a stronger individual and we will slide back to what we have now and she will stray again. I only hope to be brave enough to continue down the road and see where it leads us, together or apart. <p>Any advice on the next step in all this?
Thanks for your time and input.<p>[ April 29, 2002: Message edited by: Blind Sided ]<p>[ April 29, 2002: Message edited by: Blind Sided ]</p>

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,909
*
Member
Member
* Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,909
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>. I want the right to change my mind later, even if we do try to mend it. <hr></blockquote><p>An out clause, eh? Being vulnerable and loving someone is scary.<p>From "The Passionate Marriage" by Jeffrey Schnarch: <p>The biggest trust issue in marriage isn't about trusting your partner. It's about whether or not you can really trust yourself. The better your partner, the better your ability to soothe and console yourself needs to be. It's not safe to love your partner more than you can self-soothe, especially if you always need him or her to "be there for you." Your partner won't always be there to hold your hand and comfort you through his or her death. [or affair--Cali's addition] You'll go through that alone. The increasing vulnerability that arises from your partner becoming more important to you makes a passionate marriage daunting. Many of us know we can't trust ourselves with this enormous task.<p>Loving is not for the weak, nor for those who have to be carefully kept, nor for the faint of heart. That's why there's so little of it in the world. Love requires being steadfast through many difficulties. If our society ever tolerates a realistic view of marriage, we will be less cavalier about encouraging people to love and want each other. <p>Schnarch would say that you married the right partner and that you have reached 'critical mass.' Now it is your decision to grow to the next level... or not. What is your crucible? What things are you finishing out? What relationship does your marriage resemble? (I discovered I have married my mother, LOL.) <p>Marriage. It's not for the faint-of-heart.<p>Hugs,
Cali

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 296
2
Member
Member
2 Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 296
Cali,<p>You made me laugh! Thank you! Yes, I am scared! Very scared! I don't want to go through this again! Right now, very honestly, my W is more active in persuing our healing process almost to the point where it turns me off 'cause she's coming on so strong to push me to a final decision as to whether we are or "on" in this marriage or "off". She is giving me the ultimatums! Is this her way of taking control of the situation? If I don't respond favorably to her does she then get to tell me to "Get lost" and I look like the bad guy? I feel overwhelmed! I want to put the brakes on sometimes and slow-down but she is not waiting for me! You know, I went through 3 months of living hell with her before we even started counseling after she discovered my EA. She was going out with "the girls" almost nightly and staying out late, and she was declaring that we were going to get divorced. It took at least 3 months of counseling after that to get back on an even keel again. 6 months total time. Well, I feel like I am being pushed to reach the same point in 6 Weeks! not 6 Months! - So perhaps my shakiness and uncertainty is stemming partly from that. I think the only thing that is really holding us back is that I am not actively using the steps to heal our relationship. Half of me is still running away from the whole ugly mess! I am still tetering everyday with "I want to stay" and "I want to go", Fight or Flight! I am trying to reach the point where I am fully committed to making a go of it. If I truly stand strong and become more of who I truly am and she still loves me and wants to be with me, I have gained even more from this than I can imagine! But, should she decide that she doesn't like the "new me" per se, and we do part ways, what have I really lost? A little more time in our marriage? And what will I have gained? Self-respect? Self-esteem? Self-love? I thank you for pointing out that crucial part of my post. You really got me thinking now!

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,909
*
Member
Member
* Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,909
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>If I truly stand strong and become more of who I truly am and she still loves me and wants to be with me, I have gained even more from this than I can imagine! But, should she decide that she doesn't like the "new me" per se, and we do part ways, what have I really lost? A little more time in our marriage? And what will I have gained? Self-respect? Self-esteem? Self-love? I thank you for pointing out that crucial part of my post. You really got me thinking now! <hr></blockquote><p>Your welcome. I think you would gain a lot from reading "The Passionate Marriage," if you haven't already.<p>Cali


Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 472 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,659
Posts2,323,617
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0