Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#436292 09/11/03 01:29 PM
A
OP Offline
A
My husband and I have been married almost 18 years. I had a brief and stupid affair 5 1/2 years ago. I've never told anyone. It ended when my husband found some e-mails. He was so devastated by the e-mails, he thought it was an "emotional" affair, that I couldn't bring myself to tell him that it had gone beyond emotional to physical. I felt that my punishment for hurting him would be to carry this icky awful secret with me. I didn't feel that telling him would do anything to alleviate his pain, it would only bring me a free conscience. And I felt that was a selfish motivation for telling him.

Well, here we are 5 1/2 years later and things are mostly good but there are times in our marriage when I know he feels this huge wall between us. It's my fault, it's my wall and right now I'm struggling with how to keep that wall from ruining my love for him and his love for me. I am still so ashamed of what I did, I'm so fearful of hurting him, I don't think I could take the look of hurt on his face. I go through periods where I can't sleep thinking about those two stupid nights. Other times it's so distant that it's almost gone.

Do I tell him? I haven't seen anything on this website that deals with a 5 1/2 year old lie. I want the intimacy back with my husband but I also don't want to hurt him. Any ideas?

J
J
If you will peruse this website thoroughly, you will find that Harley is an advocate of what he calls "Radical Honesty". It means you must tell him. If my wife had not told me about her affair, I probably would have left her, because the barrier to intimacy her dishonesty produced was becoming intolerable to me - even though I did not know she was involved in an affair.

You need to know that the 5-1/2 years of not telling him will probably make things worse, beause he will feel like he has been living a lie. This is just to warn you. You still need to tell. Every day you delay makes it worse.

Harley's book "Surviving an Affair" helped us save our marriage, helped my wife understand why she had an affair, and taught us what we needed to do to have a great marriage (actually doing it is another thing, of course...). The book "Torn Asunder", by Carder has a great example of how an unconfessed affair can damage a marriage. You will definitely resonate with the story. But your experience of dishonesty surrounding an affair being a barrier to intimacy is typical. To wit:

From: “Husbands and Wives; Exploding Marital Myths, Deepening Love and Desire” by Dr. Melvyn Kinder and Dr. Connell Cowan (UCLA Clinical Psychologist, and Univ. of Houston Clinical Psychologist.): </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> “Let us state at the outset that affairs are terribly destructive not only to marriages but to the individuals involved as well.”

“The most basic effect of an affair on one’s marriage is estrangement. Some people think a lack of trust is the ultimate legacy, but that assumes that the affair becomes known. The fact is that most affairs go undetected. Most husbands and wives will never really know for sure whether their love one has been faithful or not.

“Affairs are inherently dishonest; they all involve varying degrees of subterfuge and deception. Maintaining the “secret” requires an enormous amount of energy even if the unfaithful party does not think so. We have spoken with and counseled many men and women who at first insist they are carrying it off well. The report little or no guilt and are convinced the affair does not negatively affect their relationship at home. This is absolute nonsense!”

In order to keep an affair hidden you are forever walking around with a secret that burns inside. Imagine having a liaison, then coming home, making love with your spouse, and at the height of lovemaking saying “I love you.” Pretty hard to do, isn’t it? Yet millions of men and women have experienced that very moment. What must that do to a person’s sense of honor, integrity, character?”

“As for those who insist they feel little or no guilt, they are deceiving themselves. Guilt is not always conscious. Husbands or wives who play around may feel hidden guilt, which manifests itself in irritability, argumentativeness, with one’s spouse, or vague and ill-defined feeling of depression and self-loathing.”

... Many people cannot handle the inner burden of lies and deception, so one day they blurt out the truth. As with any wrongdoing there is always a concomitant need to confess. Some people will simply tell the truth, while others will unconsciously set up a situation that will expose them. The effect on one’s spouse is the same regardless: shock, intense pain, rage, and doubt that this hurt can ever heal and trust be reestablished.” </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

D
D
Sweetheart, you're at a good place. You know that the motivation of not telling the truth has not given you a life without pain. Or an authentic, intimate marriage.

I seldom look in on this forum, but I came here after discovering a long kept desolate secret. Let me share just two things. You will have to address the betrayal and the time you kept it a secret, as two distinct challenges. It will hurt him in two distint ways, you have to be ready to work through both at the same time.

The second thing I want to share is, you have had the last years to show him who you are and what you offer him as a wife. That is vital, and will be the most comfort you will be able to offer as you reveal to him what he has been denied knowing.

Read everything you can to prepare yourself with the tools and strength you will need to help heal your marriage, his heart...and forgive yourself. If you have those three factors to rebuild on, you will be able to accomplish a strong act of respect for him...by telling him, and continuing to love him through something that will be as fresh to him as if it happened yesterday.

It's many faceted.

Blessings.

A
OP Offline
A
Thank you for your replies and insights. I'm sitting here in my office in tears. My husband was my soulmate until I screwed up and I want that back.

Thanks for the references to books. One thing I hadn't thought about was how he would react to 5 1/2 years of NOT knowing. Definitely two different things. I am committed to making this right but know that I will hurt him in the process. I'm left asking myself this question: "What is more selfish, the affair or the lie?" Maybe it's not a matter of what's worse but that both are bad enough in their own right.

Well, pray for us as I know I can't carry this around anymore.

T
T
IMO you should not tell your husband about the 2 nites that you spend with the OM. It will serve no purpose at this point especially after several years during which time you have been committed to working on your marriage. Take your guilt and turn it into a positive force that shows your husband how much you love him.

B
B
Hello,

Let me ask you this if I may: If the roles were reversed wouldn't you want your husband to be honest with you or would you want him to continue to lie to you? Which would you wish to have your marriage based on: Honesty or lying? The choice is yours but I think you need to respect your husband because he has the right to know. If you cannot be totally honest with your husband and spouse then what do your really have? I wish you luck.

H
H
My situation is a little different from yours but the principle is the same. My wife abandoned our marriage 5 months ago. I have been served divorce papers. I recently found out through 2 very reliable sources that she was sexually molested (as was her sister and brother)by her father. She hid this from me through 23 years of marriage. I am not bitter towards her, I love her more now than before and I feel pity and compassion for her. Unfortunately, she has cut off all contact from me. I would have helped her and continued my love for her if she would have shared her secret and shame with me. She couldn't, or wouldn't trust me as a soulmate. That tears my heart out. You still have your H and a happy home. Please find it in your heart to confess to him in a loving, compassionate way. He will be devastated but if he truly loves you he will cope with it. He needs to know the truth, and you need to tell the truth. Please don't wait for him to find out about it himself, then it may be too late. I truly feel your pain and I don't judge you. My beautiful wife is like the Biblical prodigal now. I pray she will come to her senses and return.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 481 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation