Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#469947 01/02/04 05:24 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Hi, everyone.

I am wondering how one goes about setting boundaries with WS as to what type of behavior isacceptable and what is disresectful.
I have a hard time standing up for myself without LoveBusting.....

For example- If WH is talking badly about my friends and family I am unsure how to state my unhappiness about this without coming on too strong.

Also if WH talks about things that are disrespectful to marraige and women in general I'm not sure how to respond.

Examples:
I think just coasting through the years without real desire to stay married is typical of all long term married couples. Time just passes by and suddenly you're like- Holy crap!! I've been married to this woman how long?
or:
That guy needs to stop kissing her a$$. She's just a woman and there is plenty of vagina in the world.
Ughhhh!!!

<small>[ January 02, 2004, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: wittlewifeypoo ]</small>

#469948 01/03/04 03:49 AM
J
J
It is hard. At least I find it so. I suppose it begins by telling him calmly and right away how his statements/behavior make you feel. Recognize behaviors that can push you to LB early. I think right away is important because having to listen to that kind of disrespect for too long would set plenty of people off.

The other thing that can make it hard is that once you state your feelings he may begin to LB. Learning to stop a conversation that is getting out of control is a valuable skill. It works better when both are working to avoid LBs. Maybe the LB questionnaire would be a useful tool, the examples of your H's statements seem to fit into the LB categories.

#469949 01/08/04 06:28 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks for the advice.
can anyone recommend how to conversation stop?
What should you say when things are getting out of hand? can you set boundaries by telling your spouse:
I feel_________ when you________
or is this accusing them and LB-ing in disguise?

#469950 01/09/04 05:07 PM
J
J
I think that basically that is exactly how you say it. It is not an LB to tell you H how his actions make you feel. Radical Honesty demands it. If you did not tell him how you felt you would only build resentment towards him.

On the other hand Radical Honesty requires a safe environment and from your other posts it does not sound like that environment exists.

It is not ok to tell him what his motivations, feelings or thoughts are. This can be a hard thing to accomplish. Though I have made a lot of progress in this regard I still slip up.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 377 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation