Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#54983 10/18/99 11:59 AM
B
bjg Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Help! After 13 years of marriage (plus 3 of living together first), my husband and I are seeing horrible, angry sides of each other for the first time. We have two beautiful daughters who have been terribly hurt by seeing us explode to one another twice in the last month. <BR> For some time now, I have not felt the attraction toward him that I felt before we had kids. I loved being intimate with him then, and on and off over the years, but I guess my anger toward him over everyday little things has added up and turned me off. We have sex between 1 and 3 times a month (early on it was 2-5 times a week), and he has often says he feels "unloved." I fantasize about other men but would not act on it.<BR> He says divorce is not something he even contemplates, but I think he is very angry at me and has convinced himself this is just the way things are going to be. When we argue, he says I'm always miserable. Later he apologizes and says he did'nt mean it. I don't feel that he I can express anything but happy emotions with him without fear of being labeled "miserable." <BR> Anyway, last night was a real wake-up call that we need help. Just before bed, he put me down and I told him to leave the room. I am always the one to go to the couch and I told him it was his turn. (he has no problem sleeping "angry" in the same bed--I cannot do that!). When he wouldn't leave, I lost control and pushed him toward the door. He grabbed a pillow and wacked me with it hard several times. Very sadly, our 10-year old daughter heard us and woke up sobbing, "I'm afraid you're going to get divorced." It took me a long time to calm her down. <BR> Help! I don't ever want this to happen again! But what do you do when you've fallen out of love with your spouse but you can't see devastating your children with divorce. We both feel it would be totally unfair to do to them. Right now I wonder if I can ever feel like "wanting" him again. Any feedback, including good marriage counseling referrals in the seattle area, would be much appreciated!

M
M
Just want you to know that I am a newlywed and already am facing this problem. Maybe, along the years, it isn't the little things building up, but some big thing that you have not forgotten or forgiven. Guilt on your part maybe for something that you feel you have done wrong, or resentment towards your husband for something he has done wrong. In any case, please do not vent this physical anger in front of your young children. This could be very traumatic for them, as I am sure that you realize. I don't know what to do about this sort of anger, but I think that you can only be that angry at someone if you truly do love and care about them. Because if you didn't love them or care about them deeply, then they could never hurt you enough to make you that angry. Let us know how it works out. Our prayers are with you.

B
bjg Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks, Macie, for your reply. Things have been much better since I posted my message, as my husband and I shared our feelings with one another that same day. However, we both regret yelling so loud that we woke our daughter up, and vow never to let it happen again. I am now "getting out" my anger and guilt feelings every morning in a private journal--it seems to be helping a lot. The worst thing in the world is hurting your child. Even though we apologized to her, we have a lot to do to prove to her that we still love each other and will not get divorced. Thanks for your concern.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
3 members (3 invisible), 281 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation