Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#56952 06/27/01 10:01 AM
T
OP Offline
T
My husband and I have a big problem. Whenever we get into a major conflict (which isn't often, thank goodness) he calls me a "*****." He says he has the right to b/c I am acting like a "*****." Basically, I am disagreeing with him is all the problem is. I try really hard to get along with him most of the time, but I speak up for myself when I have to, then I am called "*****."<P>I can give you the specifics of the latest argument we had, but I think that's beside the point. I don't think it's EVER appropriate to name call, even if you feel like you hate that person right at that very moment. I have NEVER called my husband a name. He feels like if he can't call me "*****" then I won't know how mad he is and I'll basically get away with murder. Let me tell you, I am a thoughtful person I don't intentionally treat my husband bad. Sure, there are times I've been unintentionally thoughtless. Who hasn't? <P>I think my husband is verbally abusing me and we need counseling. He disagrees. I think he's trying to "put me in my place." I'm getting sick of this coming up time and time again. He finally apologizes for his outburst then he does it again next time he gets really angry.<P>What is your opinion on name calling while arguing? I think it's abuse. Am I overreacting, as my husband claims?<P>

#56953 06/28/01 12:57 AM
S
S
I agree that name-calling qualifies as verbal abuse. My H used to call me names during arguments, but he's stopped since we've been in counseling. Your H has an anger problem and it needs to be dealt with.<P>I know it hurts. If he won't go for help, you should go for YOU. <P>{{{{Hugs}}}}}

#56954 06/27/01 01:39 PM
F
F
Man's point of view here...<P>If he is calling you names it is definitely verbal abuse. You don't have to take it.<P>I think the worst think I have called the two women that I have been married to is selfish...<P>The next time he starts to do that, you need to calmly tell him that he is verbally abusing you and if he does not stop you will call the authorities..if he blows you off and continues...make the call...most communities have ordanances that classify name calling in anger as verbal assault.<P>Best of luck

#56955 06/27/01 10:23 PM
S
S
If he calls you names again, calmly say it is wrong and resume the conversation, if he continues, tell him you will talk to him when he can respect you.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 510 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation