Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#59033 10/09/03 10:54 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 2
E
Junior Member
Junior Member
E Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 2
I have been married for 4 years. although i am not sure how much longer it will last. we fight almost every day. everyone in the house is suffering from it. I can not go through one day of just being happy. the fights range from, how to punish the kids to who needs more sleep, some are just plain stupid. i have tried to talk to him about ideas that may help, like coming to a middle point but he will not give an inch. I cant think of anything else to do anymore. any ideas?

#59034 10/09/03 11:11 AM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 44
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 44
Wow, sounds like our house. Petty little fights over nothing. I dread him coming home everynight, because I'm just so stressed lately. We were up till 2 a.m. arguing this morning.Our daughter finally told us to shut up, she had to get some sleep. I'll wait with you to see if anyone has any advice.

#59035 10/10/03 12:04 AM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,151
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,151
Hi Enchantress,
First of all, no one here is a professional. You should seek counseling. Definitely read up on the concepts in this web site. If nothing else, it will help you take the right approach to counseling.
After reading the concepts, you should take the LB questionnaire followed by the EN questionnaire. Read the first post in this thread: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=017364
A lot of people don't understand how to use these questionnaires and the instructions in that link are helpful.

Best wishes,
Smile

#59036 10/09/03 04:38 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 482
Q
Member
Member
Q Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 482
Dear Enchantress and Jackie,

As Smile a Day pointed out, none of us posters are experts. The experts that are here, are here to handle complaints, by locking and deleting threads. However, just because you pay someone 500 or 1000 Dollars, does not mean you will get good advice. Also, many of us posters think we give pretty thoughtful and considerate ideas.

Smile a Day and some others often have helpful tips. If you continue to post back to the threads you started, people often raise hepful questions over time.

My wife and I have gotten along better after we have taken a parenting course. At least we can discuss our differences from the same frame of reference.

Fighting is a rather broad term. You mention disagreeing on how to punish the chidren. There are subjects of fighting, and there are styles of fighting.

In Marriage Bulders, you might look up Love Busters. Fighting implies arguments that overlap into the emtional. One thing that any spouse can do, is to try to stick to the subject at hand, and avoid unduly critical remarks about the other spouse. Easier said than done, but keep a chart for yourself, so see if you can improve.

At least you can avoid being part of a sprialling downward.

Space and Time agreements. If you feel that your spouse is going overboard on an issue, what agreements do you have in place for taking a breather? POJA. Policy of Joint Agreement is a healthy tool to evaluate disagreements, and avoid getting the other partner started.

My household drier needed repair. I could fix it, but there are now larger capacity diers available, 7.5 Cubic Feet that will dry blankets. I felt it was time to buy a new drier, rather than spend time and $120 repairng the old, small one. I have been hanging clothes to dry on plastic hangers for 6 months. My wife charged a new drier at Sears to be delivered the 15th. I refused to fight. I waited. I refused to start a fight. I waited for my wife's enthusiastic support. We have saved a bundle on electricity, in the meantime. My wife yelled at me a few times over the weeks and months, but I just said, "It is up to you."

For ways to arrange breathers, I read the INTIMATE ENEMY books. If your spouse is getting emotional, and you continue to argue logically, you are probably just going to antagonize your spouse further. Go to another room. Do something else. Go to the store to get a loaf of bread or a half-pint of milk. Give space and time. Come back to issues that can be decided later.

Best wishes,

Quipper
Married 28 years and still struggling


Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Just checking in
by markos - 10/07/26 05:55 PM
Just checking in
by markos - 10/07/26 05:55 PM
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,661
Posts2,323,619
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0