Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#61806 07/22/01 09:53 AM
A
OP Offline
A
I need help!!! My wife and I live in Alaska for the past 5 years and now she wants to leave Alaska and head to the east coast to be closer to her family. I don't want to move.I have a good job, Beatiful house and live in a great neighborhood. And most of all I love it here. Alaska is the type of enviroment that I want to live in. For the first time in my life I found a place that makes me happy. If I move back I will not be happy and our marriage will fail. I don't know what to do. She will not listen. She has said in the past she loves it here and if she had to saty it wouldn't be bad. Her family Mom/Dad want her to move back and they always mention it to me. And I know they are putting allot of pressure on her. But she would never tell me that though. Help please

#61807 08/05/01 08:34 PM
A
A
Hi lonewolf!<P>I can certainly relate to you. About 4 years ago my husband convinced me to move to from Montana to another state in order to pursue his educational pursuits. For various reasons he ended up just working and I am still here with no family and no friends. (I am currently pregnant with my 4th child). I enjoy the simple life like you. Montana offered a laid back life similar to Alaska. I am now in a surburban, highly populated enviornment and my health has deteriorated since being here. <P>I Suggest that you really be honest and open about your feelings. Your wife needs to consider your feelings and how this decision will affect both of you. Although relatives are wonderful, sometimes it is actually good to keep a healthy distance. (Depending on the relatives). Although I understand where she is coming from, you should be her first priority. If you go there and hate it, you can become resentful and it can defintely hurt your marriage. I wish you the best!

#61808 08/21/01 02:44 AM
C
C
Tell your wife that you are married to her and she to you and that you come first in her life<P>Tell her parents the same thing and ask them politely not to encourage her to want to move back as it is tearing you both apart and it is making it difficult for you and her to build a relationship<P>Encourage them to write by postcard only rather than speak on the phone or internet so that the emotional tugging from them at their daughter can stop<P>Then get her interested in something she really likes and you get involved with it too<P>It sounds also like she needs you more and start talking to her about the things you and her used to do and how you met and work through speaking about the years you have been together<P>Try to get a Christian minister involved in counselling you both<P>A man leaves his parents just like a woman and becomes one with his wife<P>So the parents must take step back immediately or you will risk her being torn away from you<P>I must say it is a little selfish of them probably not intended to draw her away from you like that and should<BR>respect your situation and cut themselves off immediately from attracting her away from you like that but should encourage her to step in your direction because you are her number one and need her to be yours and put you in number one too<BR>

#61809 09/03/01 02:38 PM
S
S
Hi. I agree with all the other people that have replied. I too was moved away, and I DID NOT WANT TO AT ALL, and I did and WAS MISERABLE. If you do not want to move, express your concerns and tell her. You should be one with your wife. It sounds she misses her family. Even though many people know what the bible says about leaving family and cleaving to husband or wife, it is hard to do. So she and you need to be one , and when that happens she will miss them, but wont feel she is EMPTY without them!! Take care<BR>sweeteeyore

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 493 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation