Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62257 04/09/02 09:29 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4
Married, 3 1/2 years, 2 year old daughter, 6 months pregnant... Everyone considers us the "perfect" couple. I feel like we WERE. The topic of swinging with a couple friends (married, my best friend for 10 years) of ours came up. He said he thought it would be fun, something we could try together. I was devastated. I am NOT interested. Although this has appeal in fantasy, I know that emotionally our relationship would never survive it, even if I did go against my values and do it (which I absolutely, positively won't do). Problem: he says he is okay with it and respects my wishes, but every few weeks the topic comes up again and he mentions that he is "sad" that it's something he'll never get to explore and "disappointed" that I feel differently. I am no longer tolerant of these discussions. They cause strife and heartache on my end, and I think he is frustrated at being told "no" for the first time in his life. I feel like he signed on to monogamy, and that he needs to get over his disappointment and focus on what we can do together (we have a great sex life)- fantasies, erotic pictures, etc. He feels that since he can't get his way, he is entitled to talk about his feelings as much as he wants. I know this is personal, but I really crave outside, anonymous feed-back. Help!

#62258 04/09/02 10:08 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,649
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,649
Have you told him how his nagging about this makes you feel? Not just tired of hearing it but that it makes you feel inadequate, that he's not satisfied with you. <p>Maybe you should check out the EMotional Needs questionnaire on this site. It might help both of you. Can't hurt.

#62259 04/10/02 03:02 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4
Interestingly enough, we did the questionniare and were both pretty compatible. That's the frustrating part, we really are good together, we just can't get past a few little issues. We met with a counselor last week, and are meeting with a different one tomorrow to see if they are a better fit. I have told him that it makes me feel that I am not enough for him... He insists that I am, it just makes him a little sad. I think this has a lot more to do with him being told "no" (He grew up with ZERO discipline) and not really the sex issue. When we are getting along, it seems that this issue just fades into the background. He even will admit that it's exciting to him, but would most definitely cause complications if acted upon, not worth it. The struggle right now is that he feels that because we can't do it, my feelings come first. SO, he should be able to talk about it, even if it makes me feel inadequate, because he wants his feelings to count too. I am really nervous about the counselor... thanks for your words, it helps just to know someone is listening!

#62260 04/10/02 10:10 PM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 967
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 967
You should read Sunshine's post about "Can a man love 2 women at the same time?" In it, you will see the downfalls of swinging. Her marriage is coming apart at the seams right now. Don't feel badly for sticking to your MORALS and convictions. You're right, it would probably never be the same. Doing things just to please another isn't worth it.<p>Have you had counseling? It sounds like your marriage would definitely benefit from it. Good luck and peace and healing to you

#62261 04/11/02 11:10 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4
Thanks Maggie, I'll definitely take a look at that post. We just started counseling, and I think everything is going to be okay. This issue came up and I feel that it was too big for us to handle ourselves (although we tried) and some damage was done. It is so scary to me. I just hope that we can get back to the loving, fun couple we were. I am a little curious about counseling, I always felt it was for BAD couples. We are not bad, we just were fighting too much about the same things. I feel positively about it, and am looking for some positive stories about people who have gone through it and are better than ever... any suggestions?

#62262 04/11/02 11:15 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4
Maggie, where is that post you were talking about? I know I've seen it but now I can't find it!

#62263 04/11/02 01:28 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 14,283
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 14,283

#62264 04/15/02 12:35 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 99
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 99
Hello! I am the boring back to basics guy. First off thank you for having morals and posting it. So many posts sound like talk show themes. But baack to work here, you realy need to own and read 2 books, "Love Busters" &"His Needs Her Needs". This forum is great but the books (read LB first) have so much in them that you realy cant afford to miss out on them. They put into understandable language the when where how and why of how you got there and how to leave. Hubby may feel picked on now but when he finishes the books with you he should have a whole new perspective and understanding on marriage. Furthermore, they will give you a much needed dose of prevenative medecine for "next time". Because if left untreated there will be next times forever more.
May God be with you both.


Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Just checking in
by markos - 10/07/26 05:55 PM
Just checking in
by markos - 10/07/26 05:55 PM
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,661
Posts2,323,619
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0