Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#64062 03/09/02 11:19 PM
T
twickle Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi, I'm curious as to why marriage has to be a legal state of co-existing between two people?...this site doesn't seem to address that issue, unless I've just read and searched in all the wrong places thus far. So what gives? Why is living together and having committed yourself openly in front of your family and friends(or your chosen God/Goddesses/etc...) not the same as being married in our culture? What is it about that piece of paper that marks someone as married or unmarried? I think some of the advice on this site fails to recognize that we all have different ideas of what marriage really is. For some, it is a rock on a finger or a piece of paper, for yet others it is a shared committment between friend/lover regardless of the legality. Truthfully the case studies and percentages may show one thing about ppl living together before marriage, but then there are always exceptions. One example of the top of my head is Sting and his wife Trudy. They even had school-aged children together before they married and they are still married. I'm sure there are others in similar partnerships. It's unfortunate that as ppl we base so much on what others think and do not listen to our own inner hum. Before we take any of the advice from this or any other forum(including my words here), we should consider that we all have a different truth and are on a different path, and it will only follow suit that the way to what is true and right is not One Size Fits All.<p>~peace ppl!~=)

#64063 03/10/02 05:21 AM
A
A
Hmmm, I see what you mean.
On the other hand, it's a level of commitment that can't be beat. It says to the partner and the world that you plan to stay with this person. Long term.
I guess it's just the way the culture evolved and the society sanctioned this family form. In order to secure the possession of property and so on. But does it's history make it any less meaningful in the original sense?<p>I think the problem with marriages is weddings. They're so flippin expensive, and so romanticised, that they get your expectations so high that real life just can't compare.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 441 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation