Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#64520 07/31/03 12:30 AM
D
OP Offline
D
I've been in a committed monogamous relationship w/ my current partner for nearly a year and we've lived together for about 3 months. At the beginning of our commitment we had a long distance relationship for a couple months in which time she was physically intimate w/ 2 other men, which surfaced several months later, I also was unfaithful in a non-physical way. We broke up over this briefly because of the dishonesty and lack of straightforwardness involved when it did come out.
One of the other men is a musician in a band which she has formed a very close relationship to over the past 2 – 3 years -- she has been sexually intimate w/ 4 of the 5 musicians in the band, 2 of which she's had intercourse with and the one she hasn't been sexual with at all is the one she claims to respect and like most of all. These instances of intimacy have all been random inconsistent hook-ups with none being long term usually with her being somewhat intoxicated based on what she’s told me.
I admire her radical honesty in telling me about her past relationships in detail, though it has inadvertently posed a major difficulty for me being comfortable when she wants to see them play and would then be hanging out with them afterwards. Though she says they are only friends, I have a hard time believing there isn't still a lot of sexual chemistry between any or all of them and her, especially since taps on the butt have been described when telling me about her nights hanging out w/ them, since we’ve been together. I am very uncomfortable with this and have expressed it on several occasions.
I believe another difficulty I have with this situation is that her and I have not had sexual intercourse yet and maintain a low number of sexually intimate encounters, fooling around once or twice a week at the most. We have a lot of tension between us and it mainly revolves around a lack of consistent intimacy between us and her relationship to 'the guys' in this band. She wants to continue hanging out with men she's felt more comfortable with sexually in her past than she does presently with me and I feel very insecure and inadequate about that. She expects me to just get over it because "they were in her life before I was... and ... she's not ever going to stop seeing them" and part of me feels like I'm less of a man because I can't seem to just get over it. Asking her to cut these people out of her life seems to be a selfish demand and negotiating hasn't seemed to work either. It isn't like she goes to see them every weekend or anything, in fact its probably been 4 or 5 times since we've physically been together, but every time I get totally wigged out and end up giving her hours full of my reasoning behind why I'm so insecure about her going to see them and even though she says she understands where I'm coming from, it's as though she doesn't care because she is going to do whatever she wants to do no matter how I feel about it. Her thoughts on that are that I would be hurting her feelings by expecting her to end her relationship with them. Another reason she has for wanting them in her life is that she thinks its healthy to maintain ties to those she's been intimate with, because there was more than just intimacy there at first why should they be cut out of her life just because they are not intimate any more. This makes sense to me though I've never maintained friendships w/ anyone I've ever been intimate w/, then again is there something to not being able to let go of emotional attachments to the opposite sex here? I think she has a hard time separating the intimate emotional gains she receives from a relationship from the intimate sexual gains received which are less of a priority for her. I'm very in love with this girl and don't believe she should have to choose between me and her 'friends' but know her continuing relationship w/ this band has been torturous for me so far. I feel like this is a great opportunity for me to develop a tremendous amount of trust, but I'm not so sure I can endure feeling so inadequate, insecure, and used. I'm in major conflict over this and also feel like she needs other men in her life to fulfill emotional needs that I'm not meeting and that she's not willing to let me know she needs met. She wants to see the band play again this friday and I've expressed my uncomfortable feelings about it to the point of ending our relationship for less than half a night. We are now back together and I've said that I will try to deal with the jealousy and envy that envelops my entire being, thinking that its all just a matter of me learning to trust her and have faith in our relationship, but it's tearing me up inside....Am I justified in feeling the way I do? Am I being selfish and irrational?….What should I do? …Should this relationship end once and for all?…Please post any advice, thoughts, or words of wisdom. Thanks in advance. __D.F

P
P
Day..

Run like the wind. This girl is not worth your time. Find someone who genuinely cares about you and loves the person you are. You g/f sounds exactly like my ex-wife. I am not trying to be negative her, just honest. You can tell a lot about this girl by how she reacts to your concern over her behavior. If she would have taken steps to apologize and correct it, I would tell you to hang in there. But in this case, I don't think this is the case. You will be happier in life not dealing with a selfish and careless person like this...Believe me.

Wishing you the best!

Bry

D
OP Offline
D
Thanx for the post bry. Wouldn't me just breaking up w/ her say that I'm not loving her for the person she is. What about her maintaining purely platonic friendships w/ these guys...am I being overly jealous and untrusting?

P
P
Day..

What really concerns me about your situation is your g/f attitude towards this situation. She is expressing very concerning behavior to me, especially the part about her need to have contact and "be friends" with her sexual partners even though she is you g/f. Have you expressed to her that you would like to have an exclusive relationship with her?

H
H
Bryan is rather blunt about it, but in a way, i agree with him. If you have expressed your concern in this matter, and she can't come to terms that you feel uncomfortable, and perhaps compromise, then she is insensitive, and doesn't appear to favor your feelings (the bf) over the band's. Bf should take precidence. Perhaps suggest that it would make you WAY more comfortable to be with her when she's with them, not that you don't trust her, but because of her prior "intoxicated skankiness" (sorry, but 4/5 of the band??) it makes you uneasy to have her being intoxicated and perhaps them taking advantage of her, etc. If she refuses, then retort that what harm can it do if you tag along... you two are an item now, so when two ppl become that way, they are usually together wherever they go, and the band would be able to accept it i'm sure, why can't she? If she does resist, perhaps their IS some business going on, and you should move on yourself.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 232 guests, and 73 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Comfortable Shoe, Sourdine, Abela Laye, Ardent Center, Lost@1969
71,846 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation