Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#667433 08/17/00 05:13 PM
K
Katya Offline OP
OP Offline
K
My question is, Is it better for the children (when there is a divorce) when they are younger or older. Are children that are younger (below 4 years old)better to handle it then the older children such as 8 or 9 or even 11 years old?

#667434 08/17/00 07:00 PM
K
K
When I went to my Children of Divorce class, the only thing really said about children's emotional health was that the saddest age group for divorce was 6-12 years old. I tend to agree. Very young children rarely understand what's going on and are usually (but not always) more dependent on the mother. I would wager in that case if the mother leaves it would be very traumatic, probably less so with a father. I am sure to get flamed for that remark, but I think it's probably true. As for teenagers, I know it's hard for them, but they usually understand the dynamic of what's going on better. I know my 14 year old has a real understanding of the choices his dad has made, but my 11 & 9 year old do not. I personally think divorce is sad at any age, but I think 6-12 year olds tend to take it the hardest. Just my opinion, mind you. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>------------------<BR>Blessed be.<BR>****************<BR>Keridwen<P>Keridwen_7@yahoo.com

#667435 08/17/00 10:25 PM
W
W
Katya:<BR>It is always hard for any child (even adult children ) to have their parents divorce. I have spoken to many professionals and the group that perhaps takes the divorce the hardest might be the 6-12 year olds, but adolescents who know the details of a parent's infidelity and ongoing affair etc, with all the mess of the "now adolescent" parent, have it really tough. How can they undertsand their own intimacies and relationships which are just developing when a parent is behaving in this way? This is so hard for anyone to deal with.......but when parents cannot work together as parents of the children (as I and H cannot) then it does not matter....the kids see all this and it is so tough.

#667436 08/17/00 10:36 PM
R
RWD Offline
R
My kids were 11 and 8 when x left. The kids have done real well in school and extra curicular activities. D is having some sleep problems that may not have to do with divorce.<P>As willbok said, they are now hearing us fight as we can not get along. X was particularly fiesty tonite with om adding fuel by telling her stuff in the background during our arguement over the phone.<P>

#667437 08/18/00 07:49 AM
H
H
Hi,<P>I know for all of us, this is our greatest concern - the trauma for the kids. <P>My little one was 3, and has adapted well. He accepts things the way they are, he loves us both, he spends time with us both, he bonds well with people. <P>My older son was 5 - he is now 8. And he still has problems with it, he still cries at night occasionally about the divorce and missing daddy, he hates change. He still has nightmares, right now he is having a very hard time dealing with thoughts of my death. I remember thinking that as a child, fearing my parent's (especially my mother's death), but I don't recall telling them about it. I don't know if I am being oversensitive, but I worry about him, and am not sure what to do<P>I don't think there is ever a good time, I know this has permanently affected both of them. I know that older one is having a very hard time accepting another man, and with as close as he is to my father, whose health is failing rapidly right now, I just don't know how he is going to deal with that loss. <P>It is hard - my situation seems to go with the statistics.

#667438 08/18/00 08:03 AM
H
H
It is hard on kids of all ages. My 19 year old is very upset with his mother. The 8 year old is withdrawn or in denial. He also is acting in a manner that is inconsistent with how he has been.<P>School starts Monday and we will see if he continues being a good student or if their are problems.<P>The 5 year old is very quite seems tearful alot.<P>Kids flat out don't wnat this to happen they want Mom and Dad together!

#667439 08/18/00 08:40 AM
B
B
I agree with the 6-12 age group having the hardest time. How the parents handle the divorce and co-parent together is also a HUGE issue. My kids were 5 and 9 when I divorced. They had a difficult time with the divorce but an even harder time with their father coming and going as he pleased out of their lives, sometimes going almost a year without even a phone call (he lives 2 miles away). My husband's kids were 2 and 4 when he divorced. They have no memory of their parents living in the same home together and spend about 40% of the time with their father. They have adjusted very well.

#667440 08/18/00 09:46 AM
K
Katya Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thank you for all the responses. It's just a very sad thing to see children in the middle of any divorce/separation. I was wondering how my children would be effected if I did leave (they are 2 and 4) and wondering if I would have to "put up" with my situation for many more years or the right thing to do is do it sooner. I have always thought of my children and would prefer not to divorce. But, I cannot tell of the future. My children are the most important things in my life and will do what it takes. It's so sad to hear of what "BonnieSlept" had to say about her ex not even visiting for a year. How devastating to the children. If your marriage doesn't work out, that's one thing, but to throw away the children also is really heartbreaking. I wish all of you the best of luck. Thanks for all the advice.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 177 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation