Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
I really have to find another job. Have an interview for a position as an editorial assistant for a man who does who knows what kind of research at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. YIKES!!!<P>I haven't had a job interview since some of you were babies. Not really, but you get the idea.<P>So. I have precious few 'late model' clothes. Less money. What do I do here, folks. Dark wool slacks? With what? Help!<P>I know I have a tendency to talk to much. So I know I need to zip it and only follow his questions, for the most part. I also know that it is a good idea to find something personal where you have commonality. Or so they used to say. What is the interview protocol these days?<P>My professional background is in Human Resources and this would be a definite career change. But I have BA in communications. Minors in art and English. And a technical certificate in photography - a good 40 sem. hours or so. Perks at VU are great even if the pay isn't wonderful. <P>I'm in a state!!! <BR>

S
S
Have you run his name on metacrawler.com to see if there is a little more background on him lurking somewhere? Or looked at the university's own website? If you have a nice thick dossier on him there's no need to impress him with it, but your added knowledge will make you more confident.<P>I'm at a loss on the clothes. Maybe that ol' standby, the John T. Molloy book "Dress for Success for Women". <P>Other than that, go to a few online job posting sites (monster.com, etc.) and see if you can find some articles that give pointers on interview technique. <P>Relax. It'll all come easiest if you don't try to force it.

S
S
<A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0446672238/o/qid=979317683/sr=8-2/ref=aps_sr_b_1_2/105-7259792-8195947" TARGET=_blank>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0446672238/o/qid=979317683/sr=8-2/ref=aps_sr_b_1_2/105-7259792-8195947</A>

B
B
Cinderella.... <BR>Congratulations! <P>Job interviews drive me nuts too.... but the first thing it to take a deep breath and relax. Sisyphus has a good idea... look for some info on this guy, and then you will know a little more about him and what he does, do more research if you need to about what type of research he might be doing. <P>As for what to wear.... conservative but not stuffy! Basics usually work well... dark skirt or slacks, neutral blouse (one with just a touch of color), limited jewels ~leave the crown at home for a day [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]~ <P>Polish up those glass slippers & dance your way through the interview! If you know at least a little about the man, and what he does, and just be yourself, you will do fine!<P>{{{{{{{{Cinderella}}}}}}}}}} Knock his socks off!<P>B

W
W
YEAH! happy dance here! it worked!<P>Listen first, then figure out if he is a chatty guy or not. then<BR>use the chattiness if he is a chatty guy.<P>But go in with the attitude that this is practice for the next interview, maybe with him, maybe with someone else.<P>Great News!<BR>Yippeeeee!<P>keep up the resume circulation!<P>tom<P>

C
C
That is such great news.<P>I agree with tom, consider this as practice for your next interview. I don't know what the job market is like in Nashville, but around here the market is pretty good. We have 5 open postions and the last half dozen people we've hired have been the ones who accepted the jobs. (doesn't do much for our technical base [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] )<P>Anyhow break a leg & I have my fingers crossed for you.<P>Take care...<P>------------------<BR>nick<P>it's only time that heals the pain <BR>and makes the sun come out again

G
gsd Offline
G
Congrats! What does everyone in his department wear? Stick with neutrals (grey, black, or navy) for the bottoms. They say yellow is a strong power color. It shows confidence to others and affects your mood. Same with red. No fruity body sprays (I heard that once). It is an academic setting, though so it might be casual. Can you pay them a visit to scope out the workers? (Sorry I am not much help. I could go to work everyday in slacks and a t shirt and no one would care. I don't even think I own pantyhose.)

B
B
gsd<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I could go to work everyday in slacks and a t shirt and no one would care. I don't even think I own pantyhose.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I am in the same situation! I get to wear whatever I want to work.... usually jeans & stuff. I do have a pair of pantyhose, somewhere... [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the advice. I'll try to check in tomorrow. Otherwise you may not hear from me until Tuesday.<P>I'm scared (a little) and excited (a lot). Butterfly, what do you mean I can't wear my crown. It's neutral colors. BTW, folks, red is definitely my mood elevator color. <P>Would black wool slacks, red top, and black wool doublebreasted cardigan be out of line.<BR>I don't think this calls for genuine power dressing.<P>Interview s with a man who is a professor of medicine and a professor of microbiology. He's in the arthritis and lupus center.<P>It's an editorial assistant position. How do I handle the fact that I editted the state of Tennessee's house organ for a year or so and how do I handle the tear sheet of the only article I have ever had published. I don't think letters to the editors of newspapers or magazines count. I don't think he will want my photography portfolio. Well, it looks good but the content wouldn't relate to medicine.<P>Yikes!!<p>[This message has been edited by cinderella (edited January 12, 2001).]

C
OP Offline
C
Had already planned on searching VU's site. Did find interviewer's name. Found field and found out he was part of a big Celebrex study comparing benefits with NSAIDs. And I already knew that arthritis falls in the field of rheumatology.<P>"I think I can. I think I can."<P>(I hope I can do this without talking too much and without throwing up.)

J
J
Cinderella-<BR>YOU CAN DO IT!!!! YIPPI!!! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>Just be yourself. Be confident, calm and relaxed and you will do wonderful!!!<P>~Java

F
F
Your royal majesty,<P>Here's what I did on the job interview that got me this job that I love at the wage I can live on and more: I went into the interview in my best outfit and I stood tall(all 4 ft. 10in.!) and I explained to them why they needed me and I was EXACTLY what they were looking for. <P>I'll call ya about clothes and stuff, but you are a princess, and don't you ever forget it. Go in there with the royal wave, and you'll be fine. Take a deep breath.<P><BR>CJ<P>------------------<BR>Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

S
S
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cinderella:<BR><B>Interview s with a man who is a professor of medicine and a professor of microbiology. He's in the arthritis and lupus center.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This is an area that's going great guns ... so many things are coming out, including Enbrel and drugs that work like it. There is plenty of reading to be done in the area, if you want to bone up. Just try to filter out the material on osteoarthritis ... typically it's uninteresting to these guys as most consider it simply wear and tear.<P>The autoimmune aspects of arthrits & lupus are the ones they find interesting.<P>Good luck!<P>

H
H
Hi Cinderella,<P>As far as dressing, take a cue from the female newscasters. They don't stand out, but have a classic style. First impressions do count.<P>So my goal on an interview it to look attractive - not pretty and not androgynous - I want to have them remember me, without having anthing physical stand out.<P>I honed my "perfect" interview outfit. Have long blond hair, so must wear it up. Nothing severe, but simple.<P>mock turtleneck tailored black dress - fitted, not tight and hem right below knee. Sheer "off-black" stockings (flattering without standing out) black midheel pumps - I avoid both sensible low and hooker heels, red fitted blazer with black velveteen trim. Gold button earrings, and gold watch. No more jewelry. And a VERY light dose of Chanel #5 - just enough to have a scent when you walk - but not when you sit there. <P>Business feminine is my preferred mode of dress, but whatever you wear, it has to be something you are comfortable in, so you can concentrate on your conversation, good manners, a firm handshake, and eyecontact. <P>And, one of my brothers is a doctor in a similar environment - most of the research physicians I have met are rather shy. These shy, very competent people admire those with your social abilities, and overall good nature and ease with people. I think you are going to do great - Good luck!

D
D
Hey Cinderella,<P>Congrats on the interview!!!!!! Hurray!! I used to work in a bank and had a very well paying job. When I had my 3rd daughter, H recommended I stay home and do daycare instead. I thought at the time it was the best, but now as a single mom, I have no benefits and unsteady income. <P>I would love to go back to work, but I need to build a wardrobe first too. Here are a few ideas, I know you may not be too thrilled with some, but if you have to do this til you get more money, the local YWCA's usually have a grant called Working Women's Wardrobe. They collect the best looking work clothes for women going back to the work force, or upgrading. They are free. Second, the second hand stores in the more upper class neighborhoods, (What I mean is go to the best suburban area, rather than closer to the city area) have great working clothes. When I was working, I got a beautiful Liz Claiborne $150 suit for $25 and the tags were still on it!! Just a few ideas.<P>As far as what to wear, I'm not up on the current fashions, however, grab yourself a Cosmopolitan or one of the women's fashion magazine (I recommend cosmo cuz lots of cool articles on guys too) [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com], and check out what they are wearing. Then take those dark pants of yours and see what you can do to accessorize at least for the interview. <P>I love job interviews. I know its crazy right? I really don't mind them at all. I am planning on returning to the workforce soon. I had hoped to hang on 2 more years til youngest was in Kindergarden but it doesn't look like its' happening. <P>Good luck and you'll do great!!!!! Let us know!<BR>Dana<BR>

C
OP Offline
C
Ok, I think it will be the black wool slack, red mock turtle neck out of a nicely textured fabric, and the black heavy-weight cardigan that looks like a double-breasted jacket with black loafers. Don't want to dress up too much, but they're nice pieces. Get compliments on them still.<P>Hmm - if I land any position, for the most part, unless it's a blue jeans kind of place, I'll have to do some shopping.<P>Will this work, folks?<P>Got the resume and references ready - 4 people on reference list. Displayed in alphabetical order which happens to be the chronological order in which I worked with of for these people - most recent first.<P>Made photocopies of the tear sheet I have of the only article I've had published. Sure wish I had copies of old stuff I did when I worked for the state. Technical and editorial stuff that's over 10 yrs. old. Oh well, this alternative newspaper article is 13 years old. Won't offer it unless subject comes up and they ask.<P>I have to keep reminding myself that this is good stress.

W
W
Don't worry too much Princess...<P>You're going to do great!! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>Bill

J
J
Alas My Fair Maiden,<P>'Tis not necessary for this much stress to enter the mind of the Princess herself. For it 'tis not the crown, nor the jewels, nor the references that will woo this employer. Nay, 'tis the brains and the abilities that will eminate during the interview that will woo this man.<P>Do not fret my dear, you're going to do great. Just be yourself and the rest will take care of itself. Just remember, he has to convince you that you want this job as well. So it's your duty to interview him as well.<P>Good luck! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<BR>

C
C
<B>EXACTLY</B><P>Make sure you find out from the interview exactly why it is you should take this job. It's an employee market out there right now.<P>Knock 'em dead!<P>------------------<BR>nick<P>it's only time that heals the pain <BR>and makes the sun come out again

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks guys!! It's scary how long it's been since I had a real interview. <P>This afternoon I remembered the one question I always have the most trouble with: Do you have any questions for us?<P>Oh my goodness, what on earth to say. That one always floors me. I wish I'd thought to ask you folks sooner? <P>Maybe I can check back in with you in an hour or so. Can you help me out. Man, I hate that question. I never feel like I handle it right.<P>By that point we've gone over the basic details of the job. If they haven't volunteered a salary, do you ask then. And I have no idea what an editorial assistant should get paid. Are you really editting or are you a glorified file clerk. 'Cause pay should be different for those two levels.<P>How do you broach the salary question? How do I pick a figure that sounds right. Y'all I haven't had a professional job in so long I can't believe it (10 years) so I know I wouldn't get paid as much as someone leaving one employer for another comparable position. But.......?<P>I'm not terrribly insecure. Smile. Be Pleasant. Try not to talk too much. Try to find a personal common point. Think hard between now and then about why I should have the job. Instead to the why nots. I'm not terribly insecure about this. Just not a fashion plate. But how many medical researchers would notice fashion? And don't want to blow my chance to ask them questions.<BR>Want to WOW them instead. But not enough WOW to scare them off.<P>And I'll spend a lot of time chanting,"It will be ok." "You can do this." Over and over again.<P>So, offer suggestions between now and 7 or so. And pray hard. 'Cause the place has great benefits. And I could sure use the money.<BR>

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 676 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation