Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
I don't know when I've ever been so tired. Worked 11 hours yesterday for the doctor. <P>We couldn't come to a decision. He needs two people, at least. And I am not cut out to be the clerk/typist he needs immediately. He admits he keeps looking at my resume and wondering how he can make it work. And he got really upset when the dictation machine and I didn't get along. The part about leaving it ready for him to dictate by telephone. Not the production of the document. His distress apparently comes from admiring my communication skills and the fact he likes me. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] Thinks I'd be fun to have around the office. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] I wonder what that means.<P>(Forget it folks. He graduated from med school when I was 10 and he has two ex-wives.)<P>But he asked me to come back and work two more days. Get this, Monday (bummer) and Tuesday after the hot tub party. Tuesday are his clinic days. <P>If he would also hire a clerk/typist and give me other jobs that involve more communication skills, we would have major talking points. I want this organization's benefits!!<P>

C
C
Well, I'm sorry it didn't go over so well, but he wants you back and would like to figure out a way to make it work. That's something.<P>Just don't get too wild during the hot tub party & get a decent nights rest & you should do fine. I don't know if you can improve any of the clerk-typist skill in the interim, but look at what your strong points are & see if you can find a way to showcase them to your advantage. It sounds like he really wants to hire you and that's a great sign. We both know he would be more than satisfied with you as an employee, you just need to reinforce that in him.<P>I just wish I had some words of wisdom for you, but I can't think of any. I think you did really well and you should just keep plugging away at it. I think you have a darn good shot at this job. Go after it with everything you've got.<P>Take care...<BR><P>------------------<BR>nick<P>it's only time that heals the pain <BR>and makes the sun come out again

H
H
Hi Cinderella,<P>No words of wisdom, but some things to think about - <P>No matter what job it is, it is perfectly natural to feel overwhelmed at first. It will probably be a couple weeks before you aren't collapsing in bed when you get home. I can't imagine an 11 hour day the first day. I'm surprised you didn't fall asleep in the car!<P>Dictaphone - yikes. That does take getting used to. I remember doing that years ago - but I also remember after I got used to it, the difference in how people dictated. Some people made it easy - enunciating properly, speaking at a steady pace, and saying things like "start paragraph, and punctuation instructions. It may not be you that is making it difficult. Perhaps the good doctor could help a bit there until you are more comfortable with his style.<P>And, if there are to be two people working for him, wouldn't you prefer being the "expert" and having the clerk hired more to help you out?<P>If its possible, work your little fanny off getting to know ALL the work. It will be very hard at first, but will get easier, and before long, you'll know that office like the back of your hand.<P>Its so important to have a good working relationship with your boss, sounds like you have it. Also sounds like a place where your responsibilities would grow, and a boss who would help you move up. That's invaluable.<P>Also, I would let your church know you won't have time for any volunteer work for awhile - you honestly won't have the time or the energy til you get yourself into a routine at your new job. <P>

W
W
Cinderella,<P>at my current job, i failed miserably at what i was hired for. My boss said it was the biggest mistake he had made in his career.<BR>However, I did not give up, studied as much as 12 hours per day, and my failure became the biggest success of the company.<P>All i am saying is that if its easy, its beginner's luck, and you are under utilitized. If you are slightly over your head, but a good fit, you have room to grow, and learn, and expand your horizons, but it takes time, and some organization.<P>One idea is to make a weekly schedule where you food shop regularly, you work regularly, etc, and then live by that schedule so that you can concentrate fully on the task at hand, without worrying about the other stuff.<P>just some suggestion, but don't give up, it may turn out to be the biggest blessing in disguise.<P>tom<BR>

C
OP Offline
C
The conversation with Dr. Pincus right before I left was so strange. Several times <BR>yesterday he said he really thought I had a lot to offer. That he could use my communication skills. That he thought I'd be fun to have around the office. (That one seemed weird but I do love to clown) And it just mystified him that I wouldn't tell him how old I am. I didn't see my age as pertinent and will probably tell him when I go back in. Accused me of being <BR>coy. Moi? [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] (BTW, I was 10-y-o when he graduated from med. school.)<BR> <BR>I grew up trotting around at my mother's heel through the hallways of a hospital. dealing with his patients and the doctors would be no problem. My mother was a medical social worker at a public hospital. In fact, I had my ears pierced in a supply room in the emergency room. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] <BR> <BR>Before I left, I told him I had discussed, with my daughter, something of his I read in <BR>a publication he had given me. And her question, "Why...?" and my reaction and her reaction to her question. Whereupon, he gave me more stuff to read. This time it was a binder from his files. So, I have to go back. I think we're talking major brownie points. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] <BR> <BR>The best-case scenario would be for him to hire me. Get me up and running, give me a chance to learn what they do, then bring in someone to take over the clerical stuff I could muddle through for a short while. I know doing that clerical stuff is important and would really teach me a lot skill-wise. And would really increase my knowledge of everything that goes on there. Then he could have his cake and eat it too. Get my <BR>gifts but not my transcribing. <BR> <BR>Oh, well. I can't fix that until a week and a half from now. And I won't wear a short skirt to do it. <P>Now, what do I do about staying at the party Sunday night?

J
J
Cinderella-<P>He at least wants you to come back, that in itself is promising. And he wants to try and figure out some way to make it work!<P>I remember one job that I got some years back, I went for my first day and suddenly felt.... less than capable to say the least. I remember going to lunch on my frist day on the verge of tears. I didn't want to go back! I did end up going back, and stayed there for quite some time. I actually enjoyed that job.<P>Moral of the story.... I don't know. I guess that it is okay to feel overwhelmed the first day, you at least stuck it out. That is a very big thing! Everything will work out for the best. I know that it will. If there is any chance that it will work, and you want for it to work out, you will find a way! That is just how you are!<P>Keep us posted! As for the party.... Use sound judgement on Sunday. But even with using sound judgement doesn't prevent you from having fun! Cut loose and relax some since the following Monday and Tuesday will be big days for you!!! Enjoy it!!

C
OP Offline
C
He did yell, yes - yell, at me long about 5:00 because the dictation machine was giving me trouble. (I didn't have the equipment to erase the used tapes so they wouldn't stay in to be rerecorded.) I snapped back that I was doing the best I could. And he apologized about 3 times in the next 2 hours.<P>Let's face it. Some aspects of the job I do not care for but the skills I could gain would be good and the pays not bad - benefits better. I simply see it as a means to achieve an end. <P>I figure there's a 60% chance I'll get an offer. That leaves a lot of room for me to be wrong. I can live with that. I hate not knowing, though. But who doesn't?

C
C
Well, <BR>I'm a little biased, but I think he'd be nuts not to offer you the job. You've made an interesting psychological comment:<P><B>Let's face it. Some aspects of the job I do not care for but the skills I could gain would be good and the pays not bad - benefits better. I simply see it as a means to achieve an end. </B><P>That's not the talk of an "under-achiever" (your words) That's the talk of someone with long term goals and a desire to meet or exceed them.<P>I re-submit. This job is yours, if you want it. If you do, go and get it. Make it yours, master it, and use it as a springboard to your next goal.<P>Take care...<BR><P>------------------<BR>nick<P>it's only time that heals the pain <BR>and makes the sun come out again

C
OP Offline
C
(((((Nick)))))<BR>(((((Tom)))))<BR>(((((Steph)))))<BR>(((((Honey.west)))))<BR>

T
T
Hi Cinderella, just poppin' in after being away since the end of October. You're my second RE: already! Saw your name and always appreciated your helpful insight and comments; great to see you're still here!<P> I've got a hot tub party story for you; my ex-W and I had been dating for about a month and went to a hot tub party at a frat house at Ohio State University (btw, this was '88). One of my friends belonged to the fraternity; he and his brothers had rented three tubs from a place near campus and we all had a great time.<P> No, that's not the whole story... [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P> About three days later, her and I started getting painful lumps under our arms (the pits, to be more specific) and went to the doctor about it. He asked if we'd been in hot tub recently...."Well, yeahhh...why?". I guess a lot of the rental places don't do a very good job of cleaning their tubs and some nasty fungi tend to grow, multiply, attach themselves, etc... (ugh). We got some anti-biotics that took care of the problem, but I think of it everytime I get into a hot tub at a hotel, campsite, casual acquaintances, etc....<P> Not a great story and not very timely (for your sake), but thought I'd share it anyway.... <P>take care,<BR>theo<P>(p.s., good luck with the job!)<P>

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 676 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation