Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#691804 05/26/01 05:20 PM
D
doh! Offline OP
OP Offline
D
hello all!<BR>well, i came across this website about 4-5 days ago, looking through a bunch of divorce sites, and marriage counseling sites, and was much relieved to find someplace devoted to saving marriages! actually, i didn't really understand what was happening to me until i read some parts of the infedelity information, and it seemed to apply perfectly. i have read about 3/4 of SAA as of yet. believing that this is what has happened, has really allowed me to calm down, read a number of posts and responses, and learn everything i can on how to deal with it, so thank you!!!<P>well, my situation: i am in a very young marriage, 8 months, i am 27 and my wife is 28, and we have been through some intense times in that period, although we did live together for about 2 1/2 years prior, with a 1 year engagement. anyway, my wife and i were living with my wife's grandmother for about 4 months after getting married, while we were remodeling my wife's house - purchased just before the wedding. -i put waaaay to much time into the house, and really couldn't understand why she kept telling me how everything i did was wrong, and the more she complained to me about how i made her feel, i quit doing anything that she had ever complained about, quit seeing all of my friends, and just worked as hard as i could to move in to the house as soon as i could. i also distanced myself from her because i never felt that i was doing anything wrong. certainly nothing any different that she was doing. (going to happy hour with friends, co-workers, going to her job while she was working, which made her upset that i expected her to wait on me, etc.)<P>and i am beginning to understand that i didn't know what her EN were, how to meet them, or understand her reaction to me... but somewhere in those months, i think is when a relationship with her OM developed into a physical one. when we finally moved into the mostly completed house, she went out every night with her friends - sometimes to her friend's house till 4-5am, while i stayed home and worked on the house. i never checked up on her stories. two weeks after moving in, she said that she wasn't happy, that she was going to live at her parents, that i was to stop working on her house, and that she needing to 'figure things out'. she has exhibited almost all of the signs of a PA, but not admitted it. but now, she can't stand to talk to me, is filing for divorce, and has said that she will sue me for alimony if i don't just move out.<P>I have contacted an attorney, and i know that she can't really force me- but i can see it getting to be a real battle, and extremely bad for her emotionally. i've pressed for counseling for the last 3 days, but she won't go unless i get out of her house, so that she can get back to normal.<P>but my question is - i feel that i'm at the point where a Plan A is not really not going to work, and that probably Plan B is the only chance that i could have, which would mean move out. - i am also to the point where i'm really not in love with her, but its my commitment to marriage that i feel bound to. and also all of my friends and family are telling me to get the divorce and move on. i am questioning the potential that i saw in the two of us, as well as really any hope that it might turn around.<P>i feel that i do need to confirm the A, but my hands are being tied daily. does anyone have any suggestions?

#691805 05/28/01 05:25 PM
J
J
Your wife really does sound quite immature and though I give you kudos for recognising your part in the disintegration of the marriage, I can't see that working hard on a house (her?) house for the first few months of your marriage can set you so far apart. Why wasn't she in there helping you?<P>Criticism and contempt can be one of the greatest destroyers of a marriage. There was a psychologist called John Gottman who studied marriages extensively and termed what he calls the Four Apocalyptic Horsemen: criticism, contempt, defensiveness and stonewalling. You may have not put enough love units into her bank, but I suspect a lot of her criticisms may have withdrawn some love units from yours also.<P>I really hope that your wife opens her eyes someday and realizes that her happiness won't come from a new relationship. I'm sorry to say that it sounds like that time might be a long way off :-((

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 134 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ardent Center, Lost@1969, Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860
71,843 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation