Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#696335 07/13/01 11:55 AM
O
OP Offline
O
AARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!<P>You have no idea how much my stbxH's attorney has offended me; well, maybe you do.<P>Because of the divorce, I had to go find a better paying job. That's fine....I'm certified to teach, for the past three years I've been hedging back towards teaching....this just pushed me to go ahead and do it.<P>I've found what should be a wonderful job. Small town in the shadow of a big city. Gung ho principal. The team of teachers sounds great. Larger classroom than I had before, and fewer students too. And in addition, they offered to send me to a number of wonderful trainings --- just what I need in order to get back into teaching. But they couldn't tell me the dates of the trainings, just that they places reserved and were waiting for the teachers to be hired.<P>With the condition of education in TX, if the school offers to send you to a training.....you jump on it! And that's just what I did.<P>It turns out that one of the trainings is a week long and if you miss any part of it, then you don't get certified. And it's the same week as my deposition has been scheduled.<P>Now, I found out about this back in June. I have been trying since that time to either move up or move back the deposition. My attorney's secretary thought it would be possible to do. <P>Will the other attorney cooperate in any manner? No. And the tone of this guy.....{sigh}. Even when the situation is laid plain in front of his face, he still wanted to twist things and tried to make me look bad.<P>I guess this is just a dose of what I'm going to be in for at the deposition. Well, now I know --- I can prepare myself mentally. I guess I'm going to have to study up and practice some restraint and control techniques. Clearly my stbxH has told him what buttons to push.<P>~Amy

#696336 07/14/01 12:16 AM
H
H
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>I guess this is just a dose of what I'm going to be in for at the deposition. </B> You betcha! <B>Well, now I know --- I can prepare myself mentally. I guess I'm going to have to study up and practice some restraint and control techniques.</B> you betcha <B> Clearly my stbxH has told him what buttons to push.</B> Didn't have to, lawyers practice pushing buttons all on their own - just think, the more upset you are, the more you will inadvertently reveal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

#696337 07/14/01 12:50 AM
B
B
Do you have an attorney? I know an "attorney" can have things come up that changes court dates.....maybe your attorney could have something going that week where the date needs to be changed?

#696338 07/14/01 12:58 AM
O
OP Offline
O
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Harlequin99:<BR><B> the more upset you are, the more you will inadvertently reveal. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Reveal? What is there to hide?<P>My stbxH is having an affair and he puts his friends before his family. Not to mention mis-managing finances, hiding our finances, .....<P>Do you really want me to go into more?<P>They're going to be trying to say that I am an unfit mother. They're even going to use this incident to try to say that I put my work before my daughter. ---- I put keeping my family together and providing for my family before my H's selfishness and irresponsible behavior.<P>Besides, nearly $500 is being spent to send me to the training. And because I'll mess part of one day, I won't get the certification. Oh --- and it's taxpayer money that is being spent for the training. I feel like it's my duty to get the certification.<P>~Amy

#696339 07/13/01 01:00 PM
S
S
Attorneys are supposed to exercise courtesy when rescheduling. <P>If you can't get cooperation, you might just tell your attorney you <I>won't</I> be going to the depo, and that he needs to do whatever is possible to mitigate the damage. <P>I would think that worst case scenario, you might have to pay the other side's costs in showing up and not having you appear. And if they've been warned well beforehand, perhaps not even that.

#696340 07/13/01 01:21 PM
O
OP Offline
O
I only wish ----<P>It works the other way here though. If I don't show up then I am viewed as holding up the court's progress on the case....or that I am trying to hide something.<P>It'll go against me, rather badly.<P>~Amy

#696341 07/13/01 02:09 PM
K
K
IS there a judge in the case that your attorney can go to and get around stbxH's and his attorney?

#696342 07/13/01 02:24 PM
O
OP Offline
O
My attorney is one of only a handful of master litigators in the state. He was on the committee that wrote our current family law codes.<P>He knows the ropes, what can and can't be done, how far to push something.<P>It's that the date and time were agreed upon a while back, and the other attorney doesn't have to change it for any reason.<P>~A

#696343 07/13/01 02:54 PM
S
S
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by out of the fog:<BR><B>My attorney is one of only a handful of master litigators in the state. He was on the committee that wrote our current family law codes.<P>He knows the ropes, what can and can't be done, how far to push something.<P>It's that the date and time were agreed upon a while back, and the other attorney doesn't have to change it for any reason.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>There <I><B>are</B></I> attorneys out there who forget how to strike a proper balance between their sterling reputations and the interests of their clients. Yours may have forgotten which drawer he left his hardball in.<P>Unless you have a really bad history with this attorney and have completely run out of other competent attorneys with which he might be replaced, I'd say it's time to get real <I><B>intransigent</I></B> about absolutely <I>having</I> to make that training session. <P>Make sure that you document <I>in writing ASAP</I> to your attorney that you <I>desperately</I> need a continuance due to your need to take training in order to provide properly for your family, and that you request of him that he file a motion for a continuance, <I>with or without</I> agreement to one from opposing counsel. Also advise that you simply <I>cannot</I> make the depo and <I>will not</I> make the depo, so the other side should be informed of this soonest so that they can make other use of the time. <P>If he won't pull <I>something</I> out of his keister, I'd say he's a <I>porch dog</I> and it's time to go get one that knows how to hunt...<P>

#696344 07/13/01 02:58 PM
F
F
Have you tried contacting the leader of the inservice you are supposed to attend? Perhaps the training will be offered somewhere else that you could go and make up the day you will miss. Perhaps there is some advanced preparation or work after the seminar that would count as "make-up" work. If the seminar is offered at a Regional Service Center, it may be offered all over the state at various times. In the last 20+ years of going to inservice in TX, I have to say that most people will work with you if it is in their power to do so and it is obvious that you want the training and are not trying to get out of anything.<P>Talk to your principal. If worst comes to worst, you may be able to wait until next summer to get the certification. Just wondering - is it GT certification?<P>Bottom line - you have to do what is best for yourself and your kids. Most people would not require you to jeopardize that for a week of training.

#696345 07/13/01 03:01 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Nice idea --- but not practical. We are at the end of our 6-month limit to get this thing pushed through.<P>If someone asks for a continuence it is likely to NOT be granted and there can be fines. Plus you don't want to get the judge on your bad side.<P>Changing attornies won't make a bit of diff. on this.<P>~Amy

#696346 07/13/01 03:18 PM
O
OP Offline
O
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fighting_spirit:<BR><B>is it GT certification?.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This one is for AP -- being offered at Rice. They're only doing it for 2 weeks. All of the classes for the first week are filled. I'm scheduled for the second week.<P>The following week the entire school is doing GT training.<P>Then there are 3 days of computer training. New attendance and grading programs as well as power-point trainings. <BR>Mustn't forget that orientation is in there too.<P>I only dreamed of having this kind of support when I did my internship. I know you've heard some of the baptism by fire stories of beginner teachers --- I've got a doozy. <BR>[Principal had a nervous breakdown, first time vice principal, didn't get along with the vice principal, only teacher for subject/grade at the school, never saw other S.S. teachers, no teacher's ed. of book, no teacher's materials (worksheets, etc.), no curriculum guide, 5 classes/150 students, 10-15% inclusion and ESL, gangland, gang leader in class, I got to be the one to turn in the gang leader when he brought his stash to school, and a student that I got too close to was accidentally shot over a holiday break.] ---- Wonder why I stopped teaching?<P>(But I work with one of the people doing the program at Rice ---- and I've got 3 Dr. appts. the first week of the program. Including the day that I'll be missing. However, I'll ask if they're going to do it again soon. It's a good idea.)<P>~A

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (NewEveryDay), 1,357 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation