Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#718245 12/23/01 11:12 AM
W
OP Offline
W
Okay, Lynn you've got me there...must've been the Coronas talking. I could not have meant actual power tools, but...then again this is me, so:<p>Okay, I have a new Porter-Cable Model 557 Type 2 Plate Joiner, commonly referred to as a biscuit joiner. It is just the ticket for joining boards to make panels, and it will be a big time saver for me. I made two pine panels in under 20 minutes, less clamp time.<p>The cherry is not ready...yet. I made a simple cupboard from some walnut. It has a raised panel door, which I made on the router table using a special bit set...special in this case means $55 at a truckload sale. I used antique brass hinges, and will trim it out in green. Nicole, I told you about this already. I will post pictures when I get the domain back up, and this discussion can take place there, if that is what people want. These projects are a tangible way I can see that I am rebuilding my life. I threw out most of the old pans that she left...she took the new Salton set. I bought a set at Aldi (Nicole, you must check Aldi out!) for $30. Getting rid of the old stuff is not a good idea from a budgetary standpoint, but it is helping me establish that this is MY LIFE NOW. I also burn stuff on occasion. That is similar to what others do, without the pomp, and ceremony...not my style. I got the idea when I realized that I still had some maxi-pads here...in August! There is a lot to get rid of!<p>My living room could be described as Tuscany, I guess...in spots, but I was going general Mediterranean with a sort of 'anything goes because this is all I have' flair. In the living room, I have 5 pieces that I've made. Three tables, a lamp, and the aforementioned cupboard. The rest will be Shaker, or Arts & Crafts (Actually, Mission, and Stickley...Stickley is my favorite.) I hesitate to do too much in that style, because its mostly oak, and I am not a huge fan of oak...It is just so...done. I am going to make a nice Stickley bookcase out of oak. That one is a classic, and I want a place for my 'good books'. The cherry is being held back for an entertainment center, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough. My roommate has not been sawing, and he goes to school for 3 months next month. Another friend works out there, but he doesn't drive, so he can't get too much wood. They have not yet finished their kiln, so the wood is all green. (Green wood 3/4 to about 5/4 takes about a year in the stack to dry, and some time after its cut in the basement...that's the conventional wisdom.) I have been able to speed it up a bit by moving the wood from the basement, to upstairs, and outside, but it's a chore, and its easy to ruin the wood if you get lazy, and leave it in one place too long. I've got pre-curved walnut on my deck. I should show you those! Pretty, but pretty much useless in what I do.<p>Anyway, Lynn...I may have meant my digital power tools...another topic entirely, and maybe somewat more appropos here, but woodworking is an example if a good therapy for me. It requires concentration, and some manual dexterity. You get instant feedback about how you are doing, and something practical results when you are successful. When you are not, you get to burn something. Win-win here in the Midwest, because we love to burn things here!<p>
I have made three new stained glass pieces, but I gave them away. A penguin, an apple, and a magnolia. The magnolia was a little tough. I am going to make another six-panel lampshade in a few weeks, after the next few woodworking projects. My lamp base has been well accepted, and a couple of people actually want one. I am not a fast wood turner, the lathe is pretty much the most dangerous tool I have. (Yes, Nicole, I have a jigsaw, and they are a little unnerving, but the lathe is deceptive...quiet, and smooth. Just watch the angle on the tool...whoah. Nothing like going from 1050RPM to zero in half a second!)<p>Okay, if you've read this far...I'll give you a link to something I thought was funny, since I live in this 'war-torn' area... Midwest Peace? -Mike<p>[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: waiting_for_her ]</p>

P
P
Mike,<p>I read this whole post without interrupting you once [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Actually, I am quite interesting in your wood working projects. Do you play it by ear and just feel your way through the wood bringing to life whatever happens or do you use pre-designed plans etc? I need some ideas for my living room bad. Maybe I'll borrow(bum) a digital camera from my dad and take some shots and you can give me some suggestions. <p>As you know, I'm hooked on trading spaces and love Amy Wynn. I wish I had 10% of the talent she has with making things. <p>My house has no real theme. Kitchen/dining is somewhat country with blue countertops. Entry way is more formal. Living room is boring(4 plain walls, yuk!!!!!) and bedrooms are all collections of begged and borrowed furniture. What a collection!<p>Would you be up for giving me some ideas, maybe even proposed remodeling plans? I love to do these projects but I hate to do them unsupervised. I have a hard time seeing the finished project in my head. It takes a special talent for that type of thing and I'm glad to know you have it. The door should be a breeze for a multi-tasking, popular, talented woodworker like yourself. Good luck!<p>Merry Christmas.<p>Lynn

W
OP Offline
W
Actually, I've done it both ways. The plans are reassuring, but they can get expensive. I buy books at the clearance table at Waldenbooks and Border's...plus, I will buy magazines if they have something I want. Mostly, I copy things that I like, but I don't measure them out exactly, and I do not draft them up, either. (No printer cartridge at this time, so the point is moot.) At first, I just watched Norm and Roy build things...I had no power tools, so I started with the traditional stuff...like Roy Underhill. They have to use generators to tape his show, because his shop doesn't even have electricity!<p>Slim's GF has a couple of antique rocking chairs that she wants to have restored...I'm a little nervous about it. I've repaired broken rungs, etc., but that was on that begged/borrowed/saved from the dumpster stuff...not actual antiques.<p>I love my career field (electronics, and software engineering), but my lack of a formal secondary education, coupled with my total lack of aggression/desire to compete outside that field have left me middle-aged, with no career. What I would like is to have an apprenticeship in the (somewhat) local stained glass shop. I would also like to work in this traditional furniture store that just opened up here.<p>I have a desire to have balance...who doesn't? I was always told that I was 'book smart', but have no common sense...this rant is a rerun, BTW...from sometime earlier this past spring/summer. Anyway, I have ten fingers...ten toes (OM lost some toes by running over his foot with a lawn mower...that's why I call him the Three-Toed Sloth.)...no visible scars, etc. I bought into it...even as recently as last year. I was told that my intellectual side does not allow an artistic one, or an ability to do manual labor...I disagree. The man that said that came by the other night, and saw what I have done...not much, and not great, but he has done little, except talk. I hear a lot of talk...not seeing much action...OM used to talk to me about doing woodworking...what, now he doesn't want all of his fingers, either? [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] Whatever. XW took one of my hewing bench end tables, and S1 broke the other in a fit of rage. Now, I only have the mini-bench step stool that I made S4. They are really cool to make in the spring/fall. I take a chainsaw (broken now, unfortunately), and find a downed tree. I cut it to length...I used 30" logs for the hewing benches. Using a maul, and wedges, I split it in two, and levelled the top with an adze...a very dangerous tool. (This tool...you swing under you foot to remove material. Yes, you actually cut under those toes we talked about!) An adze looks a lot like a pick axe, kind of hard to describe...the cutting surface is turned 90 degrees from an axe, so it removes material from the top. Anyway, I bored four holes at a compound angle...totally eyeballed, of course. Then I made the legs, and drove them in with a wooden maul that I hade from a hickory sapling. No glue, no nails. The purpose of a hewing bench is to provide a surface for rough shaping stock with a special hewing hatchet...only has a single bevel, so it levels, too...but vertically, unlike the adze, which works horizontally. Mine got taken for indoor furniture, and then the nice one got taken completely. They had been out for over a year, and had weathered...like I was saying about my cedar shutters...remember? Tell you what...I will take some pics tonight, and e-mail them...okay? Trying to clean..S3/S4 are at XMIL's...S4 wants to stay at XW's tonight...not really sure why, I've spent a lot of time with him, and we are having a blast. Oh well. S3 said...I'm coming back HOME after.<p>Z-Brace cedar shutters are SIMPLE to make, even with a hand saw and drill. They are the best, too! I've got the worst house on the block as far as landscaping is concerned...(know anyone? [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] ), but the mailbox, and shutters are the best on the block.<p>As far as redoing your house...making it a home, and making it yours, I'd love to help. XW and I locked horns big time on those things. She could not make me see what she did, and I got really tired of trying...but that was more the dynamic than aything else...'I don't know what I want, but that's (you're) not it.' Sort of a theme for the last ten years, or so. Oh well. -Mike

P
P
Ok I say we trade services in our fields of specialty. <p>With some help from a few close friends, I'm starting to get better at saying what I want, what I like, and what I would like to get out of certain situations. It doesn't always work out but hey, that's life. Especially mine, remember the turtles....<p>I have a big living room which is dead space pretty much. 4 white walls, nasty grey carpet, 2 sets of double windows. ( one set new vinyl and the other older regular wood windows) Those vinyl ones are expensive and I only replaced the broken windows for now. <p>There is no storage, and no shelves, cabinets, etc of any kind in here. Just the TV, computer and desk and a severely beat up cat damaged "pleather" sectional sofa that I got as a hand me down. <p>I've always hated this room. It seems to be a waste. <p>Also want to build a wall of shelves in son's new room. It seems simple enough but I'm not sure what safety pitfalls to look out for.<p>Looking forward to getting your ideas. Maybe I can draw up a floor plan and e-mail it. <p>Also, do you have any experience at hard wood floors or this new pergo stuff. My stairs and landing are nasty. I mean yuck. I could recarpet but the way this house is laid out that area is continually taking the brunt of the dirt tracked in and out. I wanted to see if my brother, you know the one with the brain injury(I did finish that story didn't I?) would want to help me out to earn some money since he is unemployed, has no insurance, his GF only works part time, he has a somewhat serious Pot habit to support and I really need the help. Unfortunately he is a bit confused and thinks that he will be going back to work anytime now so he wouldn't have time to help me out. It's really sad but his SS disability starts soon. <p>Being a "lonely divorcing" woman, I see "target" written all over me whenever I try to get estimates for work to be done. I'm glad to know I have a friend in the business that can make sure I'm not getting ripped off. <p>Austin is fussing about me being on the computer. Still haven't wrapped anything. I hate wrapping. Like you, I can't stand repeatative functions and wrapping presents grates on my last nerve. Especially with the cat and dog feeling the need to curl up in my lap.<p>Have a good night. Looking forward to seeing those pictures. Speaking of pictures, I've spent the last 2 days putting together a photo album for Wally. It was rough but I finally finished. In a way, it was terrible to relive all the memories but I was comforted to know that I'm still here and have a future to make new memories.<p>Lynn<p>PS> I, for one, think you have more common sense than many people I know. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

P
P
BTW, I am truly enjoying the onion stuff. Especially that bit on the Mid West... Hilarious and like you said, very well written.<p>Thanks for the laughs. I needed it today. Been cooped up with my Mom, StepFather, brother, SIL, the twins and my two darling brats today. Had fun but I am so glad to be home. Rode with kids in backseat of mom's car. I couldn't have been kicked or hit more if I was riding in the back of a horse trailer with a wild mustang. <p>Austin wants me to watch Shrek again. Already suffered through ToyStory2 tonight. But hey, the new TV is cool. I can actually read all the writing that scrolls along Fox News and MSNBC. Before I had to guess alot!<p>Talk to you later. If not, have a great Christmas. Have you baked anything yet? <p>Lynn

O
O
Hey guys...<p>This house is in need of a lot of work. Mike, I did tell you about the original hardwood floors I discovered didn't I? Well, we sanded and polyurethaned them... but the edging is detailed. I was in the *Expo* store the other night and saw some advertisement for re-doing that and also new victorian edging... it's $70 per square foot!!! I'm sitting on a gold mine worth of this stuff here! Only it needs help and repair. I'm going to check it out... the place that advertises fixing it is in Wisconsin.<p>Next project... the basement. We've got a radon problem. So, we're thinking of gutting it downstairs... someone did a really poor job of trying to finish it off and it looks like catacombs full of dry wall. Anyway, gutting it, re-concreting the floor and then painting some dry-lock on the wall to seal it off... Then we'll retest for radon and decide how to either mitigate or air exchange.<p>Building furniture... yeah, that you can build anything from what you cut down is amazing to me. I think it sounds like an excellent idea to try and get a job at the new traditional furniture place. <p>So, what are the plans for Christmas? Can't believe the trouble you're having with S1 and S2... so sad. I hope it all works out in the end... just be consistent with them so that even though they may not act like they want to depend on you now... when they come around, they'll look back and realize that they can. You are/were there for them. It's been a terrible six months for you, really... just hang in there for them.<p>Talk to ya later Mike!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (NewEveryDay), 1,357 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation