Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#71879 12/05/99 11:24 PM
C
OP Offline
C
My wife and I have been married for 4 years. We separated two weeks ago and my wife is at the point where she wants a divorce. We have been having marital problems for the majority of our marriage. I was have been focused on completing my MBA and developing my career. That focus made me begin to neglect my wife. She became involved in horse back riding as away to fill her empty time. I have not supported this activity because it takes away time we can be spending together and it does cost alot of money. We have been fighting for so long that she does not believe that we could ever be happy with one another again. We will be attending counseling, but my wife does not believe it will help. I would like to hear for anyone out there who has been able to turn their marriage around. I believe there is hope. Its just hard to be positive right now. I love my wife and our 2 year old son so much that I can't just give up and get a divorce.

S
S
Hi.<BR>First of all, you might try posting this in the Emotional Needs forum. You might get more repsonses there.<P>Anyway, I'm truly sorry for the anguish you are feeling right now. Your wife's lovebank is at a major negative balance right now, and the thought of continuing in this state is most unappealing to her, so I can understand why she would think divorce is the only option.<P>However, it's not. And with two young children to consider, I hope she can reflect on the alternatives available. Please read through this entire site and print out articles for your wife to read. Ask for a grace period before she files for divorce, to allow her time to soak in all of the information.<P>Most importantly, SHOW your wife how badly you want a relationship with her. You can do this by supporting the things that make her happy (such as horseback riding). She probably feels resentful that you were not available to her most of your marriage, and when she finally found something that made her feel good about herself, you chose not to be supportive of it. Maybe you can learn more about her horseback riding and make it a hobby together. Or if horses aren't your thing -- find something you can both enjoy doing together. That's a great way to build love for one another! Remember, it's your time away from each other that got you to this point. <P>Whatever you do, live by the actions speak louder than words theory, and SHOW her that you understand that she has felt neglected for so long. Don't make your career and studies more important than her own outside interests -- be supportive of the things she loves too and you will see her and your love for eachother flourish.<P>Good luck!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 295 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation