Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
I'd very much appreciate some advice and perspective on our situation, if you post, I'm likely to forward it on to my wife. I'm simply out of answers, and out of options!<p>
We've been married for a little over 2.5 years. My wife and I have known each other (we met in college) and have been dating on and off for about 10 years. We are both 28.<p>My wife is a peditrician in residency.
I am a software engineer.<p>This is our situation:
When we were first married, my wife was very positive, indicating that divorce would never be an option in her marriage. I was mildly unhappy, partly because I had to relocated and start a crappy, partly because she was working 80+ hours a week, and partly because I was suffering from depression.<p>As our marriage went on, I suffered one serious bout of depression and scared my wife quite a bit in an indicent where I was complating ending my frustrations. Afterwards, my wife insisted that I get medical attention for my condition. Of course, I did not accept her dianosis nor did I follow up for treatment.<p>She left me for a brief period due to my unwillingness to take anti-depressants. Basically, we had two incidents where she left me. The last one, I agreed to take the medication as a condition of my marriage.<p>She didn't think that I was willing to do it, but it was a lot easier for me to have things laid out and expectations (needs) written down. For the last several months, I've been doing everything that she expects and quite a bit more.<p>She's been very insistant that we join a church and find a place for our marriage in the church (which is also something that I hadn't done for her in the past). We've done that and have been part of a very good church with a focus on married couples - we go every weekend that we have time to attend.<p>We just got back from a great vacation and we were planning other activities. I stopped in to drop off a small gift to my wife and she was pretty upset. <p>
Basically, she tells me that she can see that I'm doing everything possible to meet her needs. I've satisfied her that I'm willing to do the things that she requires to make her feel comfortable with me and comfortable that we are going forward in our relationship. <p>The only problem is that she's not happy. She doesn't think she can ever get back to the idea state or happiness that she had before things occured in our marriage. She says that I've been doing a great job of being supportive, loving, and caring, but she can't find the energy to make an effort to try and make the marriage work. She sees no way that, even with an effort, she could be happy in the relationship.<p>She's very upset and tells me that she still loves me very much, but she's basically unhappy in the relationship.<p>We've had 2 counselors and have gone to counseling about 8 times in the last 8 months or so. Our last counselor would ask her, "do you want to try and make your marriage work" - she would say yes, but not really do anything for or against the marriage. I suppose she was waiting for me to fail and revert to unacceptable behaviors.<p>We were in the middle of changing counselors - to someone recommeneded by a friend - when this occured. <p>I told her before if she would see a counselor (the last one), that I wouldn't ask her to do so again.<p>I love my wife very much. My wife tells me that she loves me also, but just isn't happy and can't see a future where things get better.<p>I don't want to be manipulative, or hurtful to her.. If she can't be happy with me, then I do want the best for her and to see her get on with her life. It hurts very much to hear her say that she wants a divorce.<p>I'm not being impulsive or mean towards her. The result for me has been a lot of depression and high anxiety. I'm coping, but it definately affects my quality of life.<p>If anyone has advice on this situation, I'd greatly appreciate it.. Opinions would be welcome, I just don't have anything that I can say to her to make her see things differently.<p>-D

H
H
Darin,<p>Are you going to a counselor for yourself, too? Working on your marriage means you also work on yourself, since you cannot change another person. Perhaps seeing a counselor alone, you would be able to talk to and get advice from. <p>I was in both marriage counseling and personal counseling, and I found it very useful...

L
L
DARIN,
FIRST OF ALL, I KNOW THAT ROLLER COASTER YOU ARE ON. I'M IN MY OWN TRAMATIC EXPERIENCE MYSELF. BUT IT SEEMS LIKE YOU NEED SOMETHING I HAVE TRIED BACK IN 1985. I WENT TO A PSYCHOLOGIST FOR STRESS AND THAT STRESS DEVELPOED INTO AGORAPHOBIA. I WAS EITHER EXTREMELY ON A HIGH OR EXTREMELY ON A LOW. YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN MY BIORYTHM CHART. GO SEE A PSYCHOLOGIST NOW!!! YOU DON'T NEED A MARRIAGE COUNSELOR JUST YET. Work on yourself first, then your marriage. Hope it works for you, it did me a world of good. Good Luck.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 232 guests, and 73 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Comfortable Shoe, Sourdine, Abela Laye, Ardent Center, Lost@1969
71,846 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation