Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,069
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,069
The Delimma:
New beautiful area rug needs to be slid under a very large heavy bed.<p>Female, altho quite strong, cannot lift one side of the bed while in tandem, slide rug under bed.<p>No one available to help.<p>
The Solution:
Fetch car jack from new Explorer (Female is a car jack virgin), with car jack directions close by, place jack under one side of bed and pump, then slide rug under. Repeat with opposite side of bed. <p>
The Lesson Learned:
I CAN do things on my own. I know this sounds silly, but before this, Steve (ex-H) took care of this stuff.<p>I am not task crippled like I feared!<p>[ April 07, 2002: Message edited by: Resilient ]</p>

Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 10,060
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 10,060
Good improvisation. I award you the Apollo 13 duct tape award for this month.<p>Of course, "car jacking" has a different meaning around here near DC.

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,069
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,069
Speech ... speech!<p>"I'd like to thank the academy ... blah blah blah"<p>Thanks, Dave.<p>BTW ... I did consider using duct tape, but in this rare case, it just didn't apply <pun intended>

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 845
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 845
Excellent! I totally applaud you for innovation and initiative!<p>Dave, you live near DC? I'm going to be interviewing for a job there soon. What areas are best for schools? I've got three kids!<p>Ciao,
Nicole

Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 10,060
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 10,060
Nicole - I'd be glad to share with you my impression of local schools, etc. You can mail me at DCScandals@yahoo.com.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 4,063
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 4,063
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Resilient:
<strong>The Delimma:
New beautiful area rug needs to be slid under a very large heavy bed.<p>Female, altho quite strong, cannot lift one side of the bed while in tandem, slide rug under bed.<p>No one available to help.<p>
Solution:
Fetch car jack from new Explorer (Female is a car jack virgin), with car jack directions close by, place under one side of bed and pump, then slide rug under. Repeat with opposite side of bed. <p>
Lesson Learned:
I CAN do things on my own. I know this sounds silly, but before this, Steve (ex-H) took care of this stuff. I am not task crippled like I feared!</strong><hr></blockquote><p>
LOL!!! SO FANTASTIC!<p>That was such a clever idea. It feels good when we do it without them.<p>Hey I change the light bulb in my high ceiling entrance way and I am sooo scared of heights. It felt good after I did it, although I froze up there and then I thought my legs were going to give out, but in the end I DID IT. I will probably never ever do it again but I DID IT.<p>Well you sure made me smile from your post.<p>ANNA

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,043
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,043
That was an exellent idea. <p>Have you got any suggestions for lifting the mattress and replacing the dust ruffle on a king size bed?<p>K

Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 10,060
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 10,060
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by God is in Control:
<strong>Have you got any suggestions for lifting the mattress and replacing the dust ruffle on a king size bed?</strong><hr></blockquote><p>K - get Jo and two more friends to bring their car jacks over - assuming you have one, too.<p>Slide two long boards under the mattress and jack it up from the ends of the boards. Replace the dust ruffle, using duct tape somehow for that "guy" touch.<p>Hey, at least I know what a dust ruffle is! [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 974
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 974
"Of course, "car jacking" has a different meaning around here near DC."<p>"Slide two long boards under the mattress and jack it up from the ends of the boards. Replace the dust ruffle, using duct tape somehow for that "guy" touch."<p>'Tis so nice to laugh on a Sunday morning, while spewing coffee all over the screen!<p>Resilient....you truly are "resilient" and inventive to boot! Doesn't it feel great?!?!<p>Gayle

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 223
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 223
Just one more use for duct tape for us "single" gals! I used it to "tie" branches that we cut when I ran out of twine........worked great!<p>That dust ruffle is a tough one....i kind of just wiggled it up there until it got to the right spot. It took a little while though!.<p>I have also fixed 2 toilets....trimmed hedges...changed batteries on the security system.
We do have to learn a lot when we are on our own!!!
Good luck to all of us!!!!!!! It's an adventure, isn't it?<p>MAX

Joined: May 2000
Posts: 15,150
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 15,150
I've about decided that there are a few things I need a man to do lest I kill myself. But, since I have no carpet in my house, I can move almost any piece of furniture without too much trouble. Except I'm afraid to attempt the baby grand piano. <p>However, I think the lawnmower needs to go to the shop. That one buffaloes me. Otherwise, if I have the tools, I'm game - unless it looks dangerous.

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 262
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 262
I mostly lurk these days, but I couldn't resist this thread.<p>I have been known to remove, reseat, and replumb a toilet, repair faucets, trim the hedge, repair the dishwasher, help install a hot-water heater, repair the drier, test out telephone problems, and wear black lace underwear when greeting SO as he arrived home.<p>In the words of Rosie the Riveter, "We can do it!"

Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 1,168
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 1,168
Bravo Jo!!!! It sure feels good, doesn't it? The first thing I did after my H moved out was put new rollers on the patio door -- rollers that needed replacing years ago. The next day I forgot it had new rollers, and that door went flying open when I gave it a good yank. LOL It took a while to get used to it. Several days later I gave it a moderate shove, and I gasped in dismay as the lever dropped into the locked position. I was OUTSIDE that time. Now, I just open and close the door with one finger and a big grin. It's a wonderful feeling!

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 338
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 338
OK, I'm going to share some things that I have learned that may prove to helpful.<p>#1 The telephone line does have a small charge running through it. (don't strip the wires with your teeth!)<p>#2 Never check the oil with the lawnmower running!<p>#3 Never check to make sure the spark plug wire is secure...with the lawnmower running.<p>#4 Never change the O ring in the faucet without turning off the water at the meter.<p>#5 When by-passing and electric clock on a stove, never, never tape the two wires that came off...together. If you do, make sure there is enough room to get out from behind the stove.<p>#6 There is an E-clip that holds the drum in your dryer, you don't have to remove the screws in the back of the dryer...very hard to get back in.<p>I'm not really stupid, I've just learned some things from experience! (this was when I was much younger, I am much wiser now)<p>I claim this scripture, expecially when the task seems impossible, and have to say He has never let me down!
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.<p>You will find you can do much more than you thought possible and you get the satisfaction of accomplishment!

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 230
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 230
Resilient,<p>Good for you. It seems that this day and age that when people are together, that they actually forget how to rely on themselves to get things done. And when they are single again they have to take a new step in being able to "do it themselves". You are a prime example in one of those people that took the initiative to tell everyone: I can do this, MYSELF!!!!!<p>Again, good for you.<p>wwl

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 230
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 230
Thank you all so much for making me LAUGH so hard during this post!!!! I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed lasr friday and my jaw is killing me from laughing so hard I think i bruised myself laughing (I can't open my jaw that far yet)
What a great sunday this has been so far! Slept late ate pizza for breakfast and spent the day on MB website! Yeah it's all about me today! Thank you all!
Forgiver

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 95
M
MD Offline
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 95
<p>[ May 08, 2002: Message edited by: MD ]</p>

Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 1,168
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 1,168
I gotta tell my lawnmower story and add a #7 to LTF's list.<p>
Getting the lawn mowed was the biggest challenge for me after my H moved out. Fixing my own coffee in the morning I can handle. Watering and pruning the garden I can handle. Mowing the lawn... H made such a big deal out of how hard it is and how I could NEVER push that mower through our St Augustine grass, let alone get the mower started. <p>Well, the lawn needed mowing, and I could just hear his voice in my head as I yanked and yanked and yanked on that cord. I pulled about 20 or 30 times and decided to try again later. I yanked another 20 or times. No go. I felt rather silly asking God for help with a lawnmower, but it appeared I needed divine intervention. I put on some laundry, and went back to yank on the mower again. Suddenly, I stopped before yanking. I thought to myself, now, just what am I doing here? What if I actually SUCCEED in getting this mower started? How do I turn it OFF once I get it started???? <p>Celestial frying pan moment!! The dead man switch!! All the mowers these days have a switch that shuts off the mower when the operator keels over from a heart attack! DUH! I need to engage the switch before it will start! With renewed vigor, I yanked on the cord again. Still nothing. "You don't have what it takes! You'd never be able to mow that lawn, let alone get the mower started!" I can hear my H's voice once again. I walked away. The smell of gasoline is strong, and I figure the engine is flooded. More laundry. <p>The mower was now my nemesis, a rival to my abilities that I was powerless to overcome. I invoked the VERY SAME scripture LTF refers to. Lord, through you all things are possible! I started wracking my memory. I remember vaguely a tip that says you can spray some kind of something into some part of the engine to help it start. WD40? The carbuerator? What's a carbuerator anyway? The choke!! There's a choke on this thing! Now THAT I could find. I pushed that thing 10 times and yanked on the cord like I've never yanked before. IT STARTED!!! I was so startled, I let go of the dead man switch! Not to worry, though, once it starts, the second time is easier. I mowed the lawn for the very first time in my life. <p>I had to wait until I was older to be wiser, but if LTF doesn't mind, I'd like add a #7 to the list. <p>#7 The dead man switch on the lawnmower must be engaged for it to start!<p>[ April 07, 2002: Message edited by: lonesome heart ]</p>

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 684
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 684
Doesn't it feel good when we realise we can manage those 'men' jobs on our own. I've moved house, decorated every room, laid floor covering, plumbed in a dishwasher and built flat pack furniture all on my own since H. left me a year ago. He comes over to see the kids weekly and used to do jobs for me but where ever possible I now do them myself first. Jante

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 571
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 571
YAY Jo!!!! Women rule! A man and 5 of his buddies would still be in there with a case of beer discussing the reasons why you don't need an area rug under the bed LOL. No offense guys [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Just checking in
by markos - 10/07/26 05:55 PM
Just checking in
by markos - 10/07/26 05:55 PM
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,661
Posts2,323,619
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0