Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
OP Offline
E
I found this info while doing a search on joint legal custody for another matter. I reference this list quite often, so I thought I'd share it here. If you're entering a custody battle in Michigan, be prepared to show proof that you should be the primary caregiver considering these:<p>~~~~~<p>What if we can't agree on custody?<p>Parents are encouraged to reach their own agreements regarding custody. When parents cannot agree, the judge must decide by considering all of the following factors of the Michigan Child Custody Act.<p>(a) The love, affection and other emotional ties existing between the parties involved and the
child.
(b) The capacity and disposition of the parties involved to give the child love, affection and
guidance and the continuation of the educating and raising of the child in its religion or creed, if
any.
(c) The capacity and disposition of the parties involved to provide the child with food, clothing,
medical care and other remedial care recognized and permitted under the laws of this state in
place of medical care, and other material needs.
(d) The length of time the child has lived in a stable, satisfactory environment, and the
desirability of maintaining continuity.
(e) The permanence, as a family unit, of the existing or proposed custodial home or homes.
(f) The moral fitness of the parties involved.
(g) The mental and physical health of the parties involved.
(h) The home, school and community record of the child.
(i) The reasonable preference of the child, if the court deems the child to be of sufficient age to
express preference.
(j) The willingness and ability of each of the parents to facilitate and encourage and close and
continuing parent-child relationship between the child and the other parent.
(k) Domestic violence, regardless of whether the violence was directed against, or witnessed by
the child.
(l) Any other factor considered by the court to be of relevance to a particular child custody
dispute.

M
M
It is best for parents to decide.<p>All seem pretty subjective. Did you find any more info relating to criteria to determine this?

H
H
Some more items:<p>1. Age of the Children.
2. Sex of the Children.
3. Education level of the children.
4. Recommendations from others to the court.
5. History of child violence
6. Mental and Physical condition of the parents.
7. Mental and Physical condition of the children.
8. Preference of child of later years. i. e. 12 above, 14 above.
9. Stability of home environment offered by each parent.
10. Ability each parent displays to cooperate with the other parent regarding the children.
11. Possibility of children being removed from the home and residence and effect, if any, on the
children.
12. Material needs of the Children.
13. Emotional connection between children and each parent.
14. Capability and desire of parent to meet the emotional and other needs of the children.
15. Various other factors.
16. Children's relationship to each other.
Child Custody
Husband Wife Both
1. Who helps children with homework?
2. Who takes children to school?
3. Who takes children shopping?
4. Who disciplines the children?
5. Who do the children go to for advice?
6. Who prepares meals for the children?
7. Who reads to the children?
8. Who encourages religious training?

M
M
This is great info. Thanks for starting this thread.<p>I am relocating, and X is challenging custody. Have you run across anything where one parent moves and tries for custody change...<p>or<p>what do courts say about splitting kids?

N
N
Thanks for the Advice.
Milli,
I have two books recommended to me which I haven't had time to read yet. They are:
The Sandcastles Way to >>>>: How to "I can't remember the full name"
And Mom's House/Dad's House.<p>One of these might help.
I hope you got past your angry phone message. I'm sure your H is a mature 23, but some of his actions seem immature. I now see how immature my 37 year old H was, and I just never realized it.
Good Luck. Can you two go on an MB weekend?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 301 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation