Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 324
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 324
I am worried sick, and a question on GQII made me think. I have been tested every 3 months for the last year. MY H affair started in im guessing July or August 2001, HELP

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 61
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 61
On average, most people infected with the HIV are diagnosed within six months of repeated testing. This is the average lenghth of time it takes for seroconversion (i.e. when the serum converts from negative to positive) to take place. If you have not tested positive after a year of repeated testing, there is little chance that you are infected with HIV.
However, for your own sanity and safety, use a barrier method of contraception (e.g. condom) until you are sure that H is no longer have a PA.
You did not state if your husband is still having a PA or how long ago you had the test done.

Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,260
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,260
First of all, go to a doctor and tell him your fears. Be honest and explain the situation.

It sounds like even though you are getting tested you aren't being counseled.

I've been thru the same thing.

My last contact was on Dec 24, 2001, and I was given the all clear in July. So, about 6 months from your last sexual contact.

The problem is if you keep having sex - even protected sex with someone you are putting yourself at risk - although with protected sex the risk is minimal it is still there.

My ex-husband's behavior was quite risky - prostitutes, anonymous sex, sex with IV drug users; so I was very frightened that I may have been infected with the virus.

You need to be able to sit down with someone who will be able to explain all the risks and the reasons that they test in the manner that they do.

There are places that will do it for free and without taking your name even.

National CDC STD/HIV Hotline 1(800) 342-2437
Nationwide Test Site Referrals, Counseling, Literature (upon request), Clinical Trials Information Referrals, and a wide scope of other HIV/AIDS/STD/TB Related Resource Information.
Open 24/7

Anything else or did this help?

E

Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 324
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 324
Thank you very much for your replies. I have made an appointment with a DR that is not around here. I live in a little town. PRIVACY OMG you would think that is a 4 letter word here,.

Joined: May 2000
Posts: 15,150
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 15,150
I don't suggest we have a poll to determine how MBers have wondered the same questions. But six months is the usual 'incubation time'. Learned this from a friend whose deceased husband made no efforts to protect her. And I bet you can guess the cause of hiss demise. She says she is living proof - because she is healthy - that it is hard to get but she has friends who were in her support group who were not so lucky.

And I bet there are a lot of people in our group who have chosen to see a doctor other than our regular one for this matter.

You are not alone!

Joined: Aug 1999
Posts: 6,107
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Aug 1999
Posts: 6,107
I was tested through my gynocologist's office, and was told six months was the incubation time.

I was afraid, and held off testing for several months. When I finally went to the gyno's office, I asked for the whole shebang - every STD test known to man and God.

For the HIV, I tested once at six months, and once at 2 years.

Boy, do I understand your fears!

I agree with everyone else who suggested to speak to your doctor about your fears and get some counseling (they "usually" have someone on site to discuss the disease, the fears, and the results)...

Best wishes, and it sounds good so far... hope you can talk to someone who can help to get you over this fear-hurdle.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 342
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 342
The whole STD thing is VERY scary to say the least. One STD that many don't know they have that can seriously affect women is HPV. HPV can cause cell changes in the cervix, and if they go untreated, can turn cancerous. Alot of people know that HPV can also cause genital warts - but there are so many strains - many women won't show any signs and typically men are just carriers and don't show any symptoms as well. Statistics say that almost 80% of women have the HPV virus - many do not know.

So, to get off my soapbox, make sure you get your annual pap smear and NEVER skip a year.

Be safe.

Llama


Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 472 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,659
Posts2,323,617
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0