Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#738814 11/06/02 03:19 PM
D
Dino09 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Well my D takes place in two weeks. I can't believe it right around the corner, but it is. I need to tell my boys what's going to happen. Does any one have any good advice on this? I spoke to my tharapist yesterday and he said what I was going to say to them seemed fine.

If you have something to share, please let me know.

Dino

#738815 11/06/02 03:41 PM
N
N
I don't know the age of your children, but I defer to books.
I have "How to talk to your children about divorce" - This is a small, easy to read book.
The Sandcastles Method of Talking to your Children About Divorce, and Mom's House, Dad's House.
I also have my girls in a Rainbows class, which is peer grief counseling for children of death and divorce. It really seems to help the 5 year old. They have all ages, and its free though a local church. I know its a national organization.
Good Luck.

#738816 11/07/02 09:30 AM
D
Dino09 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks Newly.

My children are 6 and 3. I will be talking to them within the next few days.

I have one other question - How did your children react after you told them about the D that was going to happen?

Dino

#738817 11/07/02 12:02 PM
G
G
Some good children's books for that age are Dinosaurs Divorce, It's not Your Fault Koko Bear and Mama And Daddy Bear Divorce. They all put what is happening in children's story format with colorful pictures and easy to read words - basically they explain divorce as mommy and daddy not living in the same house anymore.

They talk about their feelings and how things will be different but that mommy and daddy still love them and that they can still love mom and dad.

They may not really understand until they live it. Be prepared for their feelings - tell them it's ok to feel the way they do and find ways to help them cope.

This isn't fun for the kids, some times a counselor helps - my 6 year old loves to talk to his - it's a neutral party who is not involved who they can trust - another trusted adult may work just as well.

The three year old should adjust pretty well, just don't make any sudden lifestyle changes - ease them into the changes gradually if you can.

K

#738818 11/07/02 03:12 PM
S
STV Offline
S
My children, twin girls, 9, are taking it very well. The investigator has noted that we should be comended for raising such well adjusted children. They seem to be happy. Although the divorce still won't be final until April or May, (she moved out last May), it was a tough moment to actually tell them. Especially since I didn't want the divorce I had hope that thing would work out. So did my girls. Then once the papers were served and the process started we decided it was time to tell them. We both sat down with them and explained that mommy and daddy won't be living together ever again. We told them it is not their fault and things would be OK. I am in the middle of this huge custody battle right now. We are able to not expose the children to any of this. It was a very sad moment. I think if you pray and ask for guidence you will find a way.

Good luck.

#738819 11/08/02 04:35 PM
D
Dino09 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks K and STV.

I just want to make sure that I am there for both of them. My WW is still in la la land. I don't know how much she'll be able to help.

Dino

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 728 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation