Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
C
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by idostylin:
<strong> i respectfully disagree with this one... people are hated and dispised today for being a believer of God... the wall in the courts and the dollar bill may say in God we trust, but we can be sued if we try to pray in at school or some public place that might offend the agnostic or athiest... Christianity is the only entity that does not have backing by the freedome of speech laws... the Boy Scouts, a christian association, was sued because an atheiest father didn't want his son to say a part of the oathe that acknowledges God... same with the YMCA...the seperation of God and government is real... you cannot speak of god in a recovery home that gets funding from the government... it's illegal...
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A couple of thoughts on this point...

Most people in this country believe in God, so I doubt that believers are "despised" or "hated" by the majority.

Regarding "In God We Trust" on our money...did you know that it is a relatively recent addition? Until 1956, the official motto of this nation was E Pluribus Unum, which means "Out of Many...One"

The separation of God and government by the Founding Fathers was deliberate and intentional. The "wall of separation" between church and state was written into the Constitution by men who had first hand experience with "official" religions.

They knew that the best way to promote religion was to divorce it entirely from any sort of government sanction, and history speaks to their wisdom.

Jefferson himself avoided religious proclamations for this very reason.

Madison, who is regarded as the architect of the Constitution, argued against chaplains in the army and navy for this reason.

US Grant, who guided this nation through its most troubling time (the Civil War) argued against religious instruction in schools.

Indeed, one of the founding ideals of this nation is that a person's religious beliefs are outside of the scope of government influence.

Jefferson wrote that the "powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions."

I'm with TJ on this one...

I
OP Offline
I
again, i cannot debate history with you because history was not my subject. see the way i see this and the way you see it are different. i see the seperation as a way to abandon godliness. religion is not equal to godliness and spirituality.

i don't think i'm really smart enough to debate this issue with you... i mean i can give debate my beliefs vs. your point of view, but i can't debate history with you...

the issue is that i believe what i belive through faith. the reading of my Word, being ministered to in church, praying, etc. which are practice that i don't think you subscribe to. our beliefs are different... i'm not trying to convince you to see it my way or have the feelings i have about it... i'm just trying to convey what i believe. sometimes there is not reasonable answer i can give... i just choose to believe... you know what i mean??? it's just a choice i made.

i would just like to tell you something...

i have done some pretty serious stuff through out my life... i have been addicted to crack, i have been a prostitute, i have been a bad mother, wife and daughter... the only thing that changed all that for me was my belief in God... my life today isn't great... i'm divorced and i don't want to be... financially things are hard. i'm alone with no mate... i'm out there doing all the wrong things to be loved... still not perfect. but i believe... you know what i mean... i just believe that God loves me and that He has his hand on my life... and for me that is the most comforting part of life today...

i love you for teaching me about history and even continuing to talk to me after i insulted you and your character.... i thank you for your point of view... and thank you for even listening to me...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 273 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation