Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
I have been getting auto insurance quotes to try to figure out my bills for life after divorce..can someone tell me why dropping my husband and his vehicle is making the insurance double! UGH!!! I still have 2 cars on the policy and I still am listed as owning a house. Does being divorced make me a bigger risk? Or are they taking into account my credit history now for a quote. Anybody have any ideas...at those rates I will have to get a bicycle.

F
F
Hey, I have one for you. I am now divorced, and I have all 4 kids living with me. All kids are 17-25 years of age. The 17 year old is making my insurnace high, since he lives with me. Husband lives with his mother. And her place of living is not up to code.

I know what you mean about insurance and the betrayed spouse and the one who has to make it on such a low income.

I really don't know how I am going to do this, but it has to be done.

There should be insurance for the divorced and the one who was betrayed. For we didn't deserve this outcome, and we didn't deserve this hard hit society.

A bike would be great. I actually have thought about riding a bike this year. Don't have one, and got 3 old bikes out of the junk. But the Dr. said no bike riding until my shoulder and back are back together. Husband did tear my rotator cuff and I had surgery almost a year ago for 3 tears. Still recooperating, and trying to find a neroologist for my spasms and pain.

A bike would be economical and fitness riding would be wonderful. Take the opportunity while the weather is good. Depends of course where you live. If I could, I would ride my bike to work and to school. But my trip to school is 1/2 hour each way.

Part of the divorce and the women getting screwed one way or another.

T
T
After separation, I tried to get my own ins and I was quoted estimates around $300-400 more annually cause I lost the multi-car discount.

Also I have heard that divorced women's ins rates go up cause statistics show that we have more accidents. I know I went through a few red lights during all this crap cause my mind was so consumed by all that was going on. Thank God, I never had an accident but H has had 2 since we split but he has had many car accidents. I thought not being insured with him would save me but no way.

We are only separated and have agreed to continue our ins together for now.

TW

P
P
CLHG

There is no reason for your preimium to increase because you have divorced. If your D is licensed they may be rating her as a principal operator on one of the 2 cars. Because she is under 25 her rates would be high. Another, reason could be if your insurance has ever been cancelled for non payment of premium. This could also increase your rates. Or, any at fault losses that involved the use and operation of your vehicle. YOU will be charged for the accident even tho you were not the driver.

E
E
I have the inside scoop on this one...... Because of the incredible claims presented from 9-11, expect to pay at least 20 per cent. Actuary's are predicting an almost 50 per cent increase in your rates by next year.

Hang onto your hats!

C
OP Offline
C
Sorry, I have been out of the loop for a little while...had to have a day surgery on Wednesday, but doing fine now.

Anyway....we have no tickets, no accidents, my daughter has been on the policy since she was 16, so why would she make it change now? Her car is only covered for liability and uninsured / underinsured.

I was wondering, what would happen if I just left it as is? How long would it take them to figure out we were divorced ...if ever? Has anybody had this experience?

N
N
My answer is that they cannot take your H off the policy until you are actually divorced.
I had to present my divorce papers, and even they they wouldn't take him off as they had no proof that he had insurance elsewhere.
The D papers actually state he owns no personal vehicles. So they finally removed him and I save $19 per year. What?
I still can't figure it out, but I'm dropping my commute substantially so I expect mine to drop more. And I live in the most expensive state for auto ins.

C
C
I had to sign a paper stating that my wife (now ex) was not driving the vehicles and would not do so. Basically it made me acknowledge that I understood the insurance company is no longer liable to pay for her under my policy.

Duh!?!

E
E
Can'tLetHimGo: by not disclosing facts to the insurer, your insurance could be null and void. Tell your broker that he is NOT with you and have him removed from the policy. If HE on his own has any claims, they will directly reflect on your policy when it is renewed. The insurer could assume that if you neglected to tell them he is no longer part of the family you could be neglecting to tell them other things that affect your rates.

Newly: "dropping your commute substantially". You need to be able to prove to the insurer that the "commute" is no longer as long. If you are taking public transport to work you may want to prove to the insurer that you are doing so by means of providing receipts for public transport monthly passes -- otherwise they will assume that you are wanting to get a lower rate and will keep the mileage portion the same.

Chris: there are people who do take others off their policies to get a better rate as they are the ones that are considered a higher risk. Then, those same people drive under the other person's policy and claim "just once I drove his/her car with his/her permission" when in reality they are driving it every day. I work in a claims division where we hire investigators every day to follow people who are suspicious. We are the ones that are hired to follow up on people who have *signed* those forms and then have surveillance tapes returned that have Billy Bob's *ex* driving the car etc.

The purpose of insurance is to "bring back" into the same financial position as before the loss. You may think it costs a whole whack of cash, BUT, if you have a claim that costs you $1,000,000.00, I can guarantee that you haven't paid that much in premiums.

Now....lowering insurance costs -- things that count: Safe driving records (driving through red lights or just *one* ticket) will reflect the amounts you pay in premiums. Home security, lighting, parking in well lit areas, amount of miles you drive to work, use of the car, types of risks you have in the home (i.e a home with a fire place will cost more to insure than one without, because the risk for fire is higher)...You get the drift. Phone around. It doesn't cost anything to get an insurance quote. Many companies now offer quotes on line. Phone and ask your broker how you can lower your rates. Raise your deductible ($250 vs. $500 or even $1,000 make a difference -- ASK) Invest in a defensive driving class (although it costs money, many companies will credit you $X for having it) -- ASK. My insurance rates have gone up. Am I thrilled about it, not really. BUT -- after 911 -- think about how many claims were paid in full. Think about how many of those families were compensated for not only death benefits of compensated for lost *potential* wages of the people who were killed. I for one will gladly pay a higher cost knowing that those families will/have been taken care of financially.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,169 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation