Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
I have my first meeting with an atty this Thursday. I live in Texas. I'd like some feedback on my current understanding of 'the process.' Here's what I *think* I know about it.

Divorce can be contested or uncontested. To file uncontested papers, both parties must be in agreement and having atty's is optional. At the time papers are filed, both spouses have already signed, so there's no need for one spouse to 'be served.' If uncontested isn't an option, one spouse may file contested papers. An attorney draws up the papers, the filing spouse signs, the papers are filed at the courthouse, and the other spouse is served. How am I doing so far?

The next part is less clear to me. My prospects of obtaining an uncontested appear to be mighty slim, so let's say I'm the filing spouse. Ok, so I get papers drawn up, I sign, I file, stbx gets served. It's my understanding that he has the option of refusing to sign anything and refusing to respond (he's passive aggressive, so I see it in the realm of possibilities). If that happens, it's my understanding that the papers I filed would go through as is and the divorce would be final on the 60th day. Am I dreaming here?

Should he choose to respond, he would.... need an attorney and the attorney would rewrite the papers and send them back?? Then it's my turn to accept or reject the rewrite? And back and forth until we have papers we're both willing to sign?

I realize a lot of things are different from state to state, but I sure hope these are basic enough for people everywhere to have helpful comments for me.

N
N
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Am I dreaming here?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">YES!
Just because he doesn't respond doesn't mean its over. You'd still have to complete the property settlement agreement before the D is final.
And Thank God you don't have kids.
I filed 3/02 completed 8/03.
My thoughts:
Get an attorney who will use e-mail.
Draw up as much as you can yourself.
My atty suggested I draft a marital narrative so that she could develop ideas for the filing from it.
Good Luck.

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks newly for the marital narrative suggestion. I'll work on that before Thursday. I don't understand how I'd ever reach a property settlement agreement with my stbx.

L
OP Offline
L
Another question I have is in regard to financial statements. The divorce kit I've been using to get my feet wet provides a form for him and one for me. How is one asset listed on two different financial statements?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 905 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation