Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#763495 01/12/04 08:23 AM
H
OP Offline
H
I haven't been here in quite a while. I had finally come to grips with the fact that my marriage was over and that I would have to split my time with my son with my STBXWW. I guess things were going as well as could be expected, we were able to work out a 50/50 custody agreement without having to goto court and this seemed to work OK.

My problem now is, the divorce will be final in a few months and my SBTXW is already engaged to the man she had an affair with! If she wants to move on, fine, but he lives several hundred miles away and I know she is going to try to take my son with her! I love my son very much and cannot bear the thought of loosing custody of him. Does anyone here know how the courts view this? My X left when my son was 3 months old and we have split custody 50/50 since that date. Since there was no primary care giver and she is the one that is wanting to move away it just doesn't seem right that she could take my son.

Please help!!

#763496 01/12/04 09:23 AM
N
N
Talk to your lawyer, this differs by state.
In my state, the non-residential parent would need to agree to a move out of state.
You've established a relationship if it has been 50/50 so that is good for your case.
If it gets contentious, the courts will look to the best interest of the child, not necessarily your X in this matter.
For example, will this move allow her to be a full time stay at home mom, if so the courts might view this favorably.
But if it will interfere with your parental rights and visitation, they will view it differently.
check on www.fathers4kids.org for more advice.

#763497 01/12/04 11:04 AM
R
R
I was a CPS SW in NC and still am in the child mental health field here. The NC courts do not look favorably on the spouse having an affair. While we are a No Contest state that is only if both parties are in agreement to NO Contest. Make sure you have a lawyer with experience and make sure you make your wishes know to your lawyer that you do not want your child to leave the state. This is doable here in NC. Also, call your local clerk of courts office for info on how to proceed to block her from taking the child now.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 963 guests, and 78 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation