Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#76786 02/07/02 07:36 PM
J
jsg Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I would like to know if anyone else here occasionally partakes in the passing of the peace pipe?<p>I do and have been doing so off and on since I was a Junior in highschool. I am now 33 years of age and I am beginning to wonder if I should quit using marijuana. I personally see nothing wrong with using marijuana as long as you do not abuse it. I don't believe that I have suffered any ill effects from using. I have a BS in legal studies and graduated with an overall GPA of 3.4. I have a wonderful job, wife and three children. Most importantly, my wife is well aware of my use and does not mind that I smoke marijuana.<p>Does anyone have some thoughts on this topic?

#76787 02/07/02 08:12 PM
F
F
jsg,<p> I have to ask, what ages are your children? At some point, they will become old enough to become aware of your use of pot and will develop the view that it is an acceptable choice for them as well, Is this going to be all right with you and your wife? At what age would it be acceptable for them to be smoking it? It would be very difficult to ask them not to do it when you do. Its hard enough being a parent without having your kids perceive that you are a "do as I say, not as I do" parent. <p> Even if occasional pot use you has not resulted in any problems for you, there is no guarantee that that won't become a problem for your kids. There are lots of studies that show that many kids who use pot to begin with go on to use other harder drugs.<p> If you choose to continue, but hide it from your kids, you are indicating that you do think that its wrong, otherwise, why keep it a secret?
Just some things to consider.

#76788 02/07/02 09:19 PM
C
cl Offline
C
I dont think cheech or chong are members here?
Personally I dont see it as an issue if it is occ use. There are not any good research studies regarding casual use of marijuana. Good for you, bad for you, indifference?!?!?!
There are known health issues with heavy/daily use, but that is not waht we are talking about here.
Sure it is legal to smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol, but look at the health issues there! My gawd, I woud much rather deal with an occ pot smoker than a drinker or smoker in the health care circus.
The biggest issue and one that effects your family is that it is NOT legal.
Personally I dont partake and have not for over 25 yrs, but I do support home use and medical use. I'm sure if the govt could easily tax it, the pendulum would swing toward support of this drug.
cl

#76789 02/08/02 11:08 AM
J
jsg Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the replies. In answer to your question Firefly, my children are ages 10, 2, and 1. It is a very difficult decision or idea to ponder about your own child's drug use. Clearly, I would like it if they chose to abstain altogether. But reality proves that they more than likely will experiment with or without my approval. Curiosity will always be there. My parents were both strongly against the use of marijuana, but they both drank alcohol. I wanted to know what the difference was and became curious as to why people did it yet my parents were telling me not to do it without any real reason why other than it is illegal.<p>I have heard the old "wives tale" that marijuana leads to the use of "harder" drugs, but in my experience it was alcohol and tobacco use that "lead" me to experiment with marijuana. I would think for most adolescents alcohol and tobacco are what they were first exposed to and not marijuana.<p>As far a hiding it from my kids, I have always been a strong believer that parents (or anyone for that matter) should not smoke marijuana in front of children. Not because you need to hide your use out of shame, but for the fact that the smoke produced by burning the marijuana can be inhaled by the children. The difference with alcohol consumption in front of children is that they cannot feel the effects of their parent's use as they would if they inhaled the smoke. I would disapprove of someone sharing a beer with their child.<p>I do believe that marijuana should be legalized. Keeping it illegal serves no purpose but to criminalize people who are not criminals.

#76790 02/08/02 05:21 PM
M
M
jsg,<p>I just posted my own post about my H's use of marijuana. I hadn't read your post yet, but just did, and felt compelled to respond.<p>I'm not terribly worried about my H's smoking, however, he knows I don't really approve of it either, therefore he has chosen to hide his use of it from me. That kills me. I'm so honest it hurts, and it hurts that someone I love isn't honest with me. I'm glad that you and your wife have an understanding at least.<p>To address your post, I would have to agree with one of the other posters. Consider how you would talk to your children about use of the drug. Do you feel completely able to handle caring for your children while under the influence? Do you keep the drug in your home only? Do you ever transport it in your car with you? Consider the ramifications if you were to get caught? How would you explain a drug conviction to your children? The chances of getting caught may be slim, but nonetheless they are risks. Are you willing to take them despite the possible repercussions? <p>It is my humble opinion that smoking pot is useless. Just as is getting drunk. Occassional use isn't harmful by any means, but overall, it makes you unaware, and basically useless to others. Continual smokers, more often than not, have very low self-esteem and/or addiction problems.<p>Just reconsider why you use the drug. Do you need it? If you don't need it, then why use it? <p>Consider also, that if your children's friends parents (if you can follow me here [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] ) found out that you smoked, many wouldn't want their children hanging out at your house with your children. Small-minded people...but nonetheless, that could be a side effect to your choice.<p>Just thoughts to ponder.
I'm always curious why people use drugs in general.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 758 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation