Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Maybe this is just a vent...but I am soooo frustrated with my lawyer right now I could spit! I have been trying to get in touch with her for over 3 weeks and she just never calls me back!! Now today I called and the paralegal in her office told the receptionist that she as busy and would call me back...I think she is just tired of me calling and asking why the lawyer has not answered my calls!!! I have questions and I left that message...why do they just ignore you when you are paying them sooo much money!!!

Maybe this is just a vent...but I just wondered if anyone else toyed with the idea of firing their lawyer. And if they did..what happened...

Thanks!

D
D
well...more than likely she is one of few attorneys in her office and they may be swamped. Or, she just may be not a sociable lawyer and feels like she knows what she is doing and you should just sit back and let her do her work. Either case, if she is not available to you I would consider looking for a new attorney. Your attorney should be someone you are comfortable with. BUT...it also depends on how far along are you in your case. Has discovery begun? Have there been any depositions? If you are further along with the case then it might not be a good idea to replace her. If the case just started, I would write her a letter quickly asking her to forward your file to your new attorney. By the way, don't fire her unless and until you find someone you feel comfortable with.

S
OP Offline
S
deadtoitall--There will be no depositions...discovery...maybe...but we have already filed our parenting agreement...attended the required parenting class...he has admitted to the affair and doesn't want to fight over things...He also has no lawyer...I am starting to think that may have been the way to go...
Our court hearing is in two weeks and we have not finished a property agreement to be filed and I can't get my lawyer to call me back or let me know how to go about getting it done...

D
D
I think that not returning phone calls is a course they teach in law school. To talk to mine I have to call when he is there and not with someone. I have been having trouble telling that he is doing anything. I have been assured by several that know that he is the smartest lawyer around here and WW's is a weasel. If I was starting over I would go with the most evil, but I feel like we are too far along to switch now.

D
D
Hmmm, in your case it seems as though it may not be necessary to fire your attorney. If he does not have an attorney and there may not even be any discovery, it pretty much seems like an open/close case. Many times lawyers in very small firms or in their own private practice does not have time to return all the calls from their clients. In the firm where I work our attorneys are almost always accessible and will return all calls, but we have over 200 attorneys. But a good attorney will return your call within three days or else have someone else return the call for them.

But I would say to just sit tight and try to find the information you are seeking on your own while you are waiting for a call back. There are tons of info. on the internet.

G
G
I’m beginning to think my lawyer’s a dream. He even calls me sometimes. I’m very low maintenance though.

Have you tried email? Send an email, and wait a few days for a reply. If you don’t get a reply, send another email detailing the lack of response. Lawyers seem to understand a paper trail.
I’m beginning to think my lawyer’s a dream. He even calls me sometimes. I’m very low maintenance though.

Have you tried email? Send an email, and wait a few days for a reply. If you don’t get a reply, send another email detailing the lack of response. Lawyers seem to understand a paper trail.

N
N
I had the same problem with my first atty and finally had to switch. Sole practitioners deal with the cases and squeaky wheels first.

But you are so close to the end that it doesn't make sense to switch. Describe exactly what you are asking for, and leave a detailed message. Tell her you want to draft PSA to review before your court date. If she says she hasn't drafted it, offer to type it out for her, and let her put it into legalese, to save time and money. Also, give a deadline, and show up at her office if necessary.

Lawyers tend to deal with the big tickey cases first, you are probalby not worth her time. Sorry to say.

My 2nd lawyer was very responsive and used email to communicate and review documents. he was pricey, but definitely worth it (since it wasn't cut and dry).

C
C
Is your attorney a partner in the firm? If not, I suggest that you call one of the named partners and make them aware of your situation. You will probably be amazed at how fast you get your call.

If he/she is a partner . . . good luck.

S
OP Offline
S
Well...I'm sorry I have been away from the computer a few days!! But excited to see responces when I returned!

My case is probably a piece of cake for her...but I want to get this all settled ahead of time and not have to go back twice. My X tells me I can have whatever I want ..... but.....it would help to have some guidance about what I SHOULD get!!

Now that your eyes are popping out of your heads at the thought of him saying I can have anything LOL...what do I ask for??? I am keeping the house and the new van...and the payments for those of course...I told him that he will be taking the other debt we have (and it is not a small amount)
Maybe this needs to be another thread....

S
S
Hi there --

Just had to add my two cents worth here. If there is anything at all at stake, and you can afford it, CHANGE attornies!!! I was foolish enough to "hang in there" until my divorce was final, hoping that my attorney would come through for me when it counted. He didn't. I got screwed big time! My new attorney is MUCH more on top of things. If I had to do it over again, I'd switch in a heartbeat if things were not to my liking... regardless of where the divorce was.

Best wishes!
Sarah

N
N
Ask for the world, because once his attorney sees the property settlement agreement, you'll get the standard 50/50, but will need to fight to get that.

Anything acquired during the marriage is marital property, typically divided 50/50, this goes for debt too - even if you didn't know it existed.
Cancel any joint accounts and get credit in your name only while you can. Make copies of all papers, marriage license, tax returns etc. You'll need them.

Have two lists of what you are asking for, and what you really want. Don't fight for something meaningless to you. Know what you'll offer in barter if it gets to negotiation.

F
F
I would fire the attorney, That is just my opinion. Since my attorney was not looking out for me, I would if I could do it over go to a mediator.

E-mails cost money, to say Hi costs money to a lawyer. Lawyers or out for the kill of killing you financially.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 822 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation