Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#781279 12/28/04 04:30 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 340
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 340
I received papers in the mail and it said our divorce was filed on December 9th. Does this mean we are legally divorce or is there a court day with a judge. I live in New Jersey, my WH filed in Nevada. He couldn't file in NJ he didn't have any grounds. I know every state is different. How can I find out if my DV is final, I really don't feel like calling his lawyer.

#781280 12/28/04 04:43 PM
Joined: Apr 1999
Posts: 8,016
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Apr 1999
Posts: 8,016
I'm confused.

Your signature states, "Served Vegas Divorce 7/19/04".
You say you received paper stating "divorce was filed on December 9th.
In another post, you wrote, "I just received papers today saying divorce papers were filed on December 8th."

Did the papers say a divorce was filed or a divorced was finalized?

Also, what did your lawyer tell you about Nevada divorce?

#781281 12/28/04 04:51 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 340
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 340
I'm a work so I don't have the papers in front of me, it could have been the 8th of December, I think it said it was filed and had a clerks name on it. I will check when I get home.

#781282 12/28/04 06:58 PM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 3,830
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 3,830
HopelesslyDevoted2,

I am not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV either, but I think your final divorce decree was filed with the court, which means that the final decree was before a judge and he signed it.

Does this sound about right? You were served Nevada divorce papers in July. Between July and December, you and H either reached a marital settlement agreement or you received an agreement and did not respond. Thus, December 9th, whatever that settlement agreement was, was "filed" with the court as the final agreement, and the judge signed it.

Like I said, I am NOT a lawyer!!! But if that sounds close to what happened, then I would just call the Nevada court and ask if it's final. They should be able to answer "yes" or "no" for free.


CJ


Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Just checking in
by markos - 10/07/26 05:55 PM
Just checking in
by markos - 10/07/26 05:55 PM
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,661
Posts2,323,619
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0