Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
horsey Offline OP
OP Offline
H
What is the average cost of divorce, ave attorney fees, money down, overall cost? Wow, I'm calling around and it's ranging from $150 to $325 per hour, some want $3,000 down, one wanted $10,000 down. I don't know any attorneys, we are new to the city and I don't know anyone to ask. I just wonder what this is going to cost me to get a divorce, my husband is a banker 90k per year income, we have a 9 month old, I own a business so I guess it can get complicated, or is it based on how much my husband fights? Can I base the value of an attorney on how much they charge? Any other ideas of finding an attorney. Actually, three didn't even return my calls from this morning and it's after closing, I just emailed four from websites tonight. Do they not even return calls? It's worse, I moved out of town and they know I'm not local I guess... are they overloading with cases or what? My attorney friend here said I need to file at least separation because of the child, and my husband is on a domestic violence charge so it'll help with custody. I dont' know what to do...

T
T
Cost - whew it's a biggie. I wouldn't go by the old you get what you pay for.
My 1st atty was $275 per hour and did NOTHING!
The bill quickly went to $2,400 and he hadn't even filed the original paperwork. Then when he objects to NOTHING in court when my husband's atty. was obviously lying for him - that was it.

On to my 2nd atty. He's $200 an hour and seems more agressive.

1st atty retainer = 2k 2nd atty. retainer = 1,500.

This is expensive!
AS long as nothing will be contested it will be over in 6 mos, (end of March). If we can't agree it'll take longer.

It seems generally woman get sole custody of the children. Not always, but generally. If he has assalt charges against him you'll probably not have much trouble getting custody unless you have some skeletons in your closet yourself.
I know of a situation in which I had to go to court as a character witness (I was the boys teacher and babysitter) and the judge gave physical custody to the dad who was gay and living with his "partner" instead of the mother because dad and his "partner" lived in a better neighborhood, made more money, had access to better schools, and mom lived in a "bad" neighborhood and worked 2 jobs.

You have to show that the kids being with you would be in their best interest. Just something to keep in mind.

Good luck!

W
W
Teh first guy I went to see wanted $100 just for the consultation. Within 5 minutes, he asked me how many times I was dropped on my head when I was a kid.

I stood up, handed him $100 and started walking out. he stopped me and gave me my money back.

My current lawyer came from a recomendation of someone I trust. So far I like her alot. I honestly feel that she is looking out for my best interest and not just in it for the money.

She figured a retainer based on what she expected to be involved with a stipulation that there may be more required if things don't go as easy as she expects.

What state are you in? you may be able to get some recommendations right here!

M
M
Well it isn't cheap, my lawyer costs 200Hr, had to pay a 1000. retainer back in september. From Dec 2 to Jan 31 the bill has now rose to 1900.00.

Part of the problem is ex beleives he should pay no or little spousal support, and will not meet or negotiate with the lawyers, even though his lawyer was supporting him to do so, to figure out child custody and access and so my lawyer has mailed many letters regarding daycare issues, since he will not see them more than approx 7hrs a week, and the many phone calls has added up.

Now we are set in a month to have a judicial case conference with a judge to have the matters addressed, obviously this will cost even more money, I wonder what the end result will be.

ex also believes that all things should be negotiated between just him and me, but what he is asking for is unreasonable. I think clearly is will cost less if you both are civil and can seem to come to some sort of agreement together.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 526 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation