Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#797478 04/30/01 07:40 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Dear Bystander,<BR> I saw a response of yours to a earlier question and would like futher clearification please. You said something about if a man accepts a child as his own knowing full well it wasnt his (Vasectomy) and willingly signed the BC that he basically cant change that. I am in Oregon and I am wondering if it changes things if my H started paying CS to OW after the the DNA test came back 99.0.<BR> H's Xow's H is on the BC since birth. I am wondering not to get out of paying, H does pay CS but wondering if BC can b changed to H as father. Sorry this is choppy, hopefully clear enough. <BR> Thank you for your response, <BR> Hopeful1

#797479 05/01/01 10:18 AM
B
B
<BR>Hopeful1,<P>I'm assuming that your H was named in a paternity suit and was: (a) determined to be the biological father of the child, and (b) ordered by the court to pay CS. If that's true, the following applies:<P> <A HREF="http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/109.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/109.html</A> <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>109.094 Rights of father where paternity established; procedure when paternity established. Upon the paternity of a child being established in the proceedings, the father shall have the same rights as a father who is or was married to the mother of the child. The clerk of the court shall certify the fact of paternity to the Center for Health Statistics of the Health Division of the Department of Human Services, and the Center for Health Statistics shall prepare a new birth certificate for the child. [1975 c.640 s.6; 1983 c.709 s.38] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm not a lawyer, but a casual reading of this statute suggests that your H can force the birth certificate to reflect the child's actual parentage, as he has rights identical to the XOW's H in this matter.<P>Bystander<BR>

#797480 05/01/01 11:02 AM
H
OP Offline
H
Thanks for the response Bystander, there is not a court order for child support. H had DNA test and then began paying a agreed upon amount of CS to Xow.<BR> Her H is still on BC and we want to leave it that way. He is Daddy to this child (2 1/2). We want to leave it that way and help financially. Since A ended now Xow wants H on BC and still live with her H as daddy. So I am curious as to if she can have it changed without some sort of consent from H. We have been to a couple lawyer's and the didnt have clear answers. Thanks for more info if you have it,H1

#797481 05/01/01 11:17 AM
B
B
<BR>Hopeful1,<P>First of all, you should see a lawyer. Generally speaking, ex parte (private) agreements concerning CS are a bad idea. I know of many cases where the courts ignored the agreement and ordered CS retroactive to the birth of the child, and declared all previous payments a "gift" to the mother. Yes, these men were ordered to pay CS twice! I don't know what kind of financial exposure you have here, but you should get a lawyer and find out.<P>I don't know whether she can change the name on the birth certificate without consent. Personally, the angle I would take on it is that the XOW's H is probably subject to the presumed paternity laws and has allowed his period to rebut paternity to lapse. Its possible that her opportunity to litigate paternity against your H has lapsed altogether because of the presumed paternity laws. In that event, you could stop paying CS altogether and tell her to go pound sand.<P>Bystander

#797482 05/02/01 12:22 AM
H
OP Offline
H
thanks again bystander, it is so hard to know what to do. we are concerned about future litigation and not getting credit for what has been being paid. at the same time wondering if she can even go back on H legally later due to her H signing BC. we have received little help from lawyers. the advice of 1 is to just do what we are doing. i dont feel to comfortable. then we have been told by H taking DNA and paying CS to Xow he presumes paternity. UGH! H1

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 783 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation