Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
I am wondering if anyone knows about DNA testing and if a false positive can be a result when only one of two brother's has been tested. Rumor has it that both my brother-in-law AND my husband (one other unnamed guy too) had sex with the ow around the same time. If the brother doesn't get tested and only my husband, then I'm uncertain of how that can affect the results. Brother-in-law doesn't want to take the test. <BR>I posted this somewhere else, but just figured out how to post a new topic. Sorry <P>tinlizzy <P>I am wondering if anyone knows about DNA testing and if a false positive can be a result when only one of two brother's has been tested. Rumor has it that both my brother-in-law AND my husband (one other unnamed guy too) had sex with the ow around the same time. If the brother doesn't get tested and only my husband, then I'm uncertain of how that can affect the results. Brother-in-law doesn't want to take the test. <BR>I posted this somewhere else, but just figured out how to post a new topic. Sorry <P>tinlizzy <P>I am wondering if anyone knows about DNA testing and if a false positive can be a result when only one of two brother's has been tested. Rumor has it that both my brother-in-law AND my husband (one other unnamed guy too) had sex with the ow around the same time. If the brother doesn't get tested and only my husband, then I'm uncertain of how that can affect the results. Brother-in-law doesn't want to take the test. <BR>I posted this somewhere else, but just figured out how to post a new topic. Sorry <P>tinlizzy

B
B
Hi tinlizzy,<P>Modern DNA testing can discriminate between fraternal twins (or regular brothers) alleged to a biological father. Modern DNA testing cannot, however, discriminate between identical twins alleged to be fathers. Remarkably, I know of a case in which a woman became pregnant by her husband's identical twin, and because he is married there is virtually no way for him to rebut paternity.<P>About DNA testing in general. You should only accept testing from a facility accrdited by the American Association of Blood Banks. Further, make sure that there is a court-defensible chain of custody on the samples taken, in case the test works in your favor. Avoid PCR tests (even with 9 or more probes), as they are less accurate than the 4-probe RFLP method. Pay the extra money for the RFLP method, it is more accurate. A few bucks "saved" on a cheaper PCR test could haunt you to the tune of hundreds of thousands in "child support" for someone else's child.<P>Here's the interesting tidbit: DNA testing does NOT prove that a man is the father of the child. It just means that the likelihood of a similar DNA match from a man drawn at random becomes increasingly remote as the common DNA between alleged father and child increases. What this means is that states that test to a 99.0% match are risking a 1 in 100 chance of nailing *the wrong man* to the income shares cross. If you are contesting paternity, it behooves you to test to the most stringent standards possible. There are known case studies where men matched at the 99.0% level and were NOT the actual father. The highest commerical match rate is 99.99%, which makes a mismatch rate of 1 in 10,000. I haven't looked lately, but last I knew only one lab tested to that level of accuracy. It is here:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.ptclabs.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ptclabs.com/</A> <P>I have no fiduciary relation with this company. It just happens to be the only one I've located that tests RFLP method to 99.99% or better, is AABB accredited, and maintains a court-defensible chain of custody. The prices are around $500 for a standard test, which is market rate.<P>Bystander

T
OP Offline
T
Thanks, Bystander. <p>I actually have talked to someone at that company already, but you're easier to understand [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] <p>So, what you're saying is, if we believe that it's possible for another man to be the father and he happens to be my dh's much younger (not twins) brother, it would be in our best interest to have him tested as well? <p>Thank you for your great info!

T
OP Offline
T
HAHA!!! I just noticed that my post was posted 3 times!!!! Can you tell I'm new? [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img]

B
B
tinlizzy,<p>I don't mean to be callous here, but once your H is ruled out as the father, he's off the hook. Whoever the real father is then only matters to the OW. Let her figure it out. If its your brother in law, let the OW track him down. You certainly don't need to make the OW's life easier. <p>Bystander

T
OP Offline
T
You don't offend me in the least [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] <p>I am wondering, if *without* the brother being tested as well, then what's the chance of my dh having that 99.9% probability? Still 1 in 10,000?<p>Yep, nobody seems to care who this child belongs to (as far as the father goes), except for me. I am thinking that if I push things, then I'll open a whole new can of worms that I may not be prepared for.

T
OP Offline
T
I just wanted to bump this up because I find the DNA information very interesting. Also, a quick update.<p>My husband told me that he asked his brother if he'd get the DNA test. His brother said no. His only reason was that he wanted to stay out of it. Remember, this guy is the Energizer Bunny!!!!<p>So, I'm doing alot of thinking right now and am so upset. I imagine that we could go thru the courts and force brother-in-law, but what a big, expensive hassle!<p>Uggggg!!!!! <p>love and blessing to you all!
lizzy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (NewEveryDay), 1,357 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation