Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#819305 01/30/03 11:35 PM
B
babstr Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I haven't written in ages, but still come and read. I just need to write this out. If any of you who have spouses in the military can give me some words of advice it would help.

It looks like my H is going to be getting marching orders for Iraq. This is not something we have ever planned for or thought about. He is in the National Guard, a weekend warrior. It seems like we have been through hell in the last two years with this oc mess. And now my girls are not going to have their dad for a year or so. I don't know how to tell my 4 year old, and it hurts to think my six month old won't know who he is. So if you could give me some words of wisdom on how to make the best of this it would help.

He hasn't gotten the mobilization papers, on alert. So most likely in the next month if not sooner.

babstr

M
M
we spent ten years in the military and had many seperations for war and just plain ole in the field type stuff.

make tapes of your husband reading stories tot he kids and let them follow along at night before bed time with daddys voice and the book.

Take lots of pictures and make sure the kids see them all the time and that many are up.

Talk lots about daddy and know when he comes home it is sometimes a slow but wonderful transition that takes place,
I remember aFTER my husband had been gone two months My son saw a man in uniform,ALL HE KNEW WAS DADDY DRESSED THAT WAY EVERY SINGLE DAY, BLESS HIS HEART HE SCREAMED FOr daddy and it wasnt him.
children are resilient, They will be fine just take care of your self and you keep your self upbeat and on track that will help the kids.
God bless

T
T
Babstr,

Mom of 5 had some wonderful advice! I did the pictures with our oldest and Abbi, as they were both under the age of 1 when he left for a 6 month deployment! My oldest saw him get off the plane(He flew from HI to our home state) and ran up to him yelling, "Daddy, Daddy, Daddy....." So, it does work! Abbi wasn't quite so enthusiastic, but she's more clingy to me, but she didn't scream when he picked her up, which she does with anyone else that isn't immediate family! One thing I would recommend to be a little different is if you have a video camera, or know someone who does, video tape him reading as many books as possible. That way, not only do the kids hear his voice, but they also see him as well, and get as much video as possible, just doing things with the kids and stuff!

As for what to tell your 4 yr old, well, our oldest was just over 4 another time that Sailorman left, and we just told him that, "Daddy has to go with his work to help protect our country, but he will be home very soon! Let's make sure that we do lots of stuff to make the time go by faster!" You kinda need to tell them what they can handle, but know that it is something that isn't going to kill them! They make it through, and when it's over, they can have their very own hero, their Daddy!

Hope that I helped, and will keep you in my prayers along with Aimee2, and Matthew! You can make it!

Love,

Tigger

A
A
Babstr,
So many of us are affected. I am just overwhelmed by all of the military activity. Both of my brothers were put on alert about three days before drill, then activated and put on mob orders at drill. A unit nearby has been on alert since mid-Nov and still not activated. My husband was alerted and activated last Friday night and put on mob orders on Monday. He left yesterday. It is so tough. (I am kinda glad we had a dry run last summer when they went to NTC.) I pray that somehow God will use this to strengthen our relationships. I will keep you and yours in my prayers.
aimee

T
T
babst,

Hi,
As a Former capt and AFA grad I can give you some advice, just because your husband is being activated does not mean that he is going to Iraq. Many Guardsman take the place of the active folks who do the fighting. Unless your Husband is a pilot or police most likely he will be in a support role and away from any fighting.

Good luck

C
C
Dear Babstr...

I hope what Toyman said applies to you and your hsuband.

You and the girls are in my thoughts and prayers...and your husband, too. God bless you all.

Love

Catnip =^^=

B
babstr Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thank you everyone for your words. My husband is in a corp support unit. They started their anthrax rounds today. He thinks it will be in about two weeks or so. If we go to war they have been told they will be going overseas in the thick of things! Because of the type of unit they are, they will be needed there. So I could only have a few more weeks left if that.

Trying to stay positive just can't believe I won't see him for a year. I just cannot handle it. I know I have to be there for the girls. And of course that awful feeling of trust is there since my husband's one night stand was on an annual training. I mean I am trying not to think about that, but part of it is there.

Once again thank you for the prayers, I see that I am not alone on this board with this new bump in the road of life.

babstr

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 683 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation