Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Y
OP Offline
Y
Hi Everyone,<BR>Sorry I haven't posted or replied in quite awhile...I usually can't access the MB forum at work. I have been plan Aing it for a very long time now, and I finally decided it was time to give up and file for divorce. I feel like I'm dissapointing a lot of people: my family and others on the MB forum. <P>There are many reasons why I decided to file. I just felt like I couldn't put up with the crap anymore, and he has accumulated 12K in credit card debt because of the affair.<P>I had been very conflicted about my decision for several weeks. I have been praying everyday for some kind of sign that I was doing the right thing. I think that sign might have come last night. I came home last night to discover that my H had paged the OW from our house w/ a code: 696969. Compared to everything else that he has done this is trivial, but for some reason I was so disgusted it made me sick to my stomach. It made me realize that this affair that has gone on for almost a year is still in full swing. It also made me realize that it is time to move on.<P>So that's my update...sorry if anyone is dissapointed. I really think this is the best thing for me and my daughter.<P>Since I am here, I do have a quick question about taxes. I had been planning to file jointly w/ my H, but because he took an early withdrawl on his IRA we are going to owe $1,100. Even though his IRA money ($5,000 that is gone) is have mine, I didn't see a dime of that money. If I file separately, I would get a refund, but he would owe $1,700. Does anybody have any advice on how I should file? How are others filing? Thanks for your help.<P>Darlene<P>

Y
OP Offline
Y
Hey! Is anybody out there today? Please reply! Thanks!

S
S
Darlene,<P>If it really is over and you don't necessarily care how he takes it, yes you should file separately to get your money back. Overall fuling separately is a loser usually, but in this instance you at least would get something back and stick it to him. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<BR><P>------------------<BR>Allen<BR>sparky_dog_mb@yahoo.com

S
SDS Offline
S
Sleepless,<P>We are filing married but separate. I would talk to yuor attorney. My comment is what should you be penalized for what he did. Iwould ile separate. Just my thoughts. Discovery will be a year ago tomorrow. I hadn't done taxes yet my first thought was to file separate because I would get back he would have had to pay. But I was nice and filed together. I ended up paying our taxes not he. So had I to do again I would have filed separately.<P><P>------------------<BR>di<P>

Y
OP Offline
Y
Thanks to those that replied. I was just wondering if anybody knew the general requirements for filing "married but filing separately" or for filing "head of household". My H and I have been officially separated since 8/5/99, but he had been in and out of the house since 6/99. My daughter has lived with me throughout the separation. Thanks for your advice!<P>Darlene

M
M
Hi sleepless.<P>I have done taxes for H& R Block for 10 years.<BR>If your H lived with you at anytime in the last 6 months of the year, you cannot file head of household. The only requirement for married filing separately is being married.<P>You indicated you have a daughter. Is your joint income low enough to qualify for the earned income credit?<p>[This message has been edited by Margaret (edited March 18, 2000).]

R
RWD Offline
R
i have always filed married but separate. However one thing i missed in the divorce papers was that she claimed our son for 99 instead of 2000. My accountant said he could figure it out.<P>Next year he said I can file head of household.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (SadNewYorker), 194 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation