Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#876958 07/21/00 10:42 AM
S
schizzo Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Wow, I just read your thread from start to finish since I've been away!<P>I thought there were a couple of things that did not come through very clearly and hope I can help.<P>Trying to discover the right thing to do (morally) is important, but I think there is more to this:<P>I read somewhere in Harley that I had to decide if I could have a wonderful marriage with my h, would I want it? Not just is it right, good for the kids, but best for ME?<P>I decided it was, and that kept me going...<P>But aside from the marriage, what is best for you, Missy?<P>Like it or not, we carry a big sign that says VULNERABLE.<P>Even aside from your marriage, I want to ask, is this guy someone you would consider marrying?<P>I think many on that thread were trying to warn you that it's not that you don't deserve to be happy - you do. But you may be playing with fire. We all draw the line in different places.<P>My h did go after the OW, this was no friendship. Still he thought he could have sex, get her to fall in-love, and walk away unscathed. Our psyches don't work that way. He fell in-love in the process, even though he was only trying to use her.<P>EVEN IF you both understand "the rules", our emotions have a way of running away. There is always a risk one of you may "fall in-love" and get hurt in the process. Maybe it will be him, maybe you.<P>I have avoided male friendships because I feel very vulnerable. And it's not just about whether we would end up in bed. I differ there from F A. As we have seen so many times on this board, we can have inappropriate feelings for others outside the marriage with no sexual contact.<P>As I said, it's just the way our psyches are. I hope I made sense. You have to decide what you will do. No one is going to tell you what to do. But I wanted to clarify what I see as the dangers in having a male friendship at this point. I truly believe they outweigh the possible benefits.<P>So, it's not for your h, it's for you. You may be choosing a short-term benefit that could have a very high long-term price tag.<P>Someone on the other thread reacted negatively to the comparison of a BS dating and the WS having an affair. I don't think it falls in the same category morally at all.<P>But both involve what I said about the high long-term price tag. And not just to your marriage. TO YOU. If your marriage doesn't work, what do you want? I think to rebuild your self-image and maybe meet a man later, but FROM A POSITION OF STRENGTH.<P>When you are no longer feeling vulnerable, when you are truly available and can think clearly.

#876959 07/21/00 10:58 AM
R
R
Very good post Schizzo!<P>I think you've taken Missy's very long threaded post and encapsulated it into some thoughtful and informed sentences.<P>Thank you and God Bless,<BR>Jo

#876960 07/22/00 12:21 AM
L
Lu Offline
L
<BR> Exactly Schizzo!!! ....very well said....LU

#876961 07/22/00 12:23 AM
D
D
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by schizzo:<BR>Someone on the other thread reacted negatively to the comparison of a BS dating and the WS having an affair. I don't think it falls in the same category morally at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Schizzo~<BR>Not intending to hijack the thread (popular pasttime lately!!) but would you clarify this aspect of your position, please?<P><p>[This message has been edited by dragantraces (edited July 21, 2000).]

#876962 07/21/00 07:28 PM
S
schizzo Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Resilient and LU, thank-you.<P>Dragantraces, I would be glad to, but how? I would have to guess unless you asked specifically.

#876963 07/21/00 08:52 PM
M
M
Schizzo- Thanks for your post. Would my life be better if my marriage was back on track and My h was a part of my life again? I would think so. It would so tough. A hard fight. I am however a fierce competitor and I give it my all. <P>When I started that post, I wanted the opinion of others. DO I consider this OM marriage material??????? Honestly, I dont know him enough to make a decision like that. He is a person that has gone thru the pain of a divorce a few years ago. He has lived thru the pain. He genuinely seems to be a very caring person with the same morals and values I always wanted in a person.<P>Now, the man I married had all those qualities as well. He was perfect in my eyes. I thought I struck gold when I married him. He knows I felt that way about him. I often felt that he cherished me as well. <P>All of those feeling changed the day he met this OW. I think she has this incredible sexual hold over him. She sent his mind spinning,. I honestly believe it all began as sexual in nature and then he just fell in love. I believe him when he tells me he never went searching for it. IT just happened. <P>My position as it stands today is that I have done so much to fight for my marriage but h appears to not want any part of it. I am at a loss. <P>Our relationship has gone so far down hill that we only communicate thru e mail at present time. Again this is because I feel much better when I don't have to talk to or see him. <P>He is not the man I married. He is the man the OW has created. I do not like that man. <P>I want my h back not this present guy. I am afraid my h is to far gone to find his way back and unfortunately, he had to do this all on his own. <P>I am just not sure I can't wait around for this to happen.<P>Thanks again for your thoughts

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 560 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation