Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#883901 08/28/00 03:48 PM
M
Mike C2 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
<BR>Some interesting things here.......<P>Extramarital Sexuality in the U.S. <P>50% of all men currently married admit to having cheated at least once. <P>25% of all women now married have cheated at least once. <P>25% of all men make it a practice to cheat <P>2.5% of all women make it a practice to cheat <P>25% of the women who cheated loved the man <P>63% of women who cheated repeated the experience more than once.<P>Adultery Factoids: <P>- cheating decreases with age for men <P>- cheating increases with age for women <P>- 50% males at almost any age prior to 35 <P>- Married women in their twenties, are more likely than their husbands to cheat. <P>(that one surprised me)<P>- Males tend to isolate the incidence <P>- Women encounter the adultery with more of their lives <P> <A HREF="http://www.uakron.edu/hefe/flsp/note4.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.uakron.edu/hefe/flsp/note4.htm</A> <BR>

#883902 08/28/00 05:19 PM
C
C
thanks for those uplifting stats, Mike.<BR>It gives you hope for the institution of marriage.

#883903 08/28/00 05:24 PM
M
Mike C2 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cleopatra:<BR><B>thanks for those uplifting stats, Mike.<BR>It gives you hope for the institution of marriage.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, I posted it under the theory "Know Your Enemy" [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>

#883904 08/28/00 05:30 PM
C
C
If you want some scarry "Know your enemy material", for women its on that OW board. The stuff on that board is over the top.

#883905 08/28/00 09:55 PM
M
mkn Offline
M
Wonder if it is still true that 97% of all afairs end up in the dumpster????????<BR>Wonder what the percentages are of marriages making it after discovery..... inquiring minds want to know.... well I would anyway

#883906 08/29/00 10:14 AM
M
M
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cleopatra:<BR><B>If you want some scarry "Know your enemy material", for women its on that OW board. The stuff on that board is over the top.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>cleopatra what OW board are you talking about???<P>

#883907 08/29/00 10:34 AM
C
C
mudder,<P>check <A HREF="http://www.gloryb.com" TARGET=_blank>www.gloryb.com</A> <P>and Xman says facereality.com<P>I've been to the first not the second but it did make me kind of angry and quesy at the same time. so beware.<P>cleo

#883908 08/29/00 01:23 PM
F
F
- cheating decreases with age for men -<P>lol. I'm just wondering at what age is that? There seems to be an awful lot of 20 year old OW who have found their "soulmate" with guys in their 40s and fifties if you read the other boards. When I was in my 20s I didn't wwant to be saddled with some old fart who had a wife no less! Of course I guess I wasn't looking for a Daddy. If anyone watches the Love Chronicles on A&E they had a very interesting episode on recently about divorce. One man was on his 7th marriage but was "sure" this one would last. I've heard that the chances of a marriage that started as an EMR are about 5%. OP always dispute that saying "Lots of people never admit that their marriage started as an EMR" but either way the divorce stats for second marriages in general are 70-75% and get worse for each subsequent marriage. Lots of people repeating the same mistakes over and over....

#883909 08/29/00 02:45 PM
B
B
<BR>Those infidelity stats strike me as high compared to the self-report data obtained through the General Social Survey conducted by the National Opinion Research Center. Their data indicate an incidence of infidelity at 1-2% annually. That would suggest something like 16-18% of men have betrayed their partners, and a slightly lower number of women have betrayed their partners.<P>Bystander

#883910 08/29/00 05:16 PM
L
L
What about marriages that started as EMR's and the participants also lived together when one or both were married to the first spouses and not yet divorced? We all know EMR's stand a small chance of succeeding as marriages, and Dr. Harley also maintains that living together before marriage does not bode well for the marriage's future, either. What about marriages that have both characteristics? Just wondering, as my Ex-H lived with his OW for a year before our divorce was final and her married her. Will their marriage be doubly cursed? (One can only hope....!!!!) That's not all - she was married twice before and not yet legally divorced from H #2 when she started the affair with my (now EX) H.<p>[This message has been edited by Lady M (edited August 29, 2000).]

#883911 08/30/00 09:47 AM
B
B
<BR>LadyM,<P>Occaisionally you'll see a stat in here that only about 3% of EMAs later result in a successful marriage. I traced that stat back to Frank Pittman's excellent book, Private Lies. However, Pittman's sample is non-random and is thus subject to criticism that his clients were not representative of the population. I've never seen well-conducted survey data illustrating success rates from affairs. Pittman's book does have a chapter discussing why these relationships almost always fail. While I don't think he statistics are convincing, his litany of reasons are very intuitive and compelling. My view is that marriages that stem from infidelity fail at a very high rate, I just can't tell how high.<P>Bystander

#883912 08/30/00 10:10 AM
B
B
...<p>[This message has been edited by Beerman2 (edited September 13, 2000).]

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 672 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation