Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,069
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,069
Res<p>[This message has been edited by Resilient (edited November 26, 2000).]

Joined: May 2000
Posts: 377
M
MF Offline
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 377
Hi Jo,<P>How are you?? Hope you are feeling a little better now.<P>I think in a way D may release WS's guilt but he/she has to live with the fact he/she ended the marriage for OP for the rest of the life.. I'm sure your H hasn't realized this yet.<P>My H said(as you know from the e-mail I sent to you) that it may take pressure off from BOTH OF US. But at the same time he has hard time dealing with divorcing.<P>Right now your H is just looking at one side of the coin... <BR>I know you don't want D, but you have to do something to protect yourself. I totally agree with what catnip wrote.<BR>The difference between me and you is that I want D.. because if I'm not his W legally I don't have any rights to say or think about whatever he does with OW(or someone else). I need that to move on.<P>I hope you find a way, the best way for yourself.<P>Love, and many hugs,<P>Meg

Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 996
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 996
Jo, for some people they may have to get rid of the old (including the guilt) to see things clearly.<P>I like Lori's response to you. You can simply take that route. Calmly state that you don't want it, and that you will always be his wife, but that you want him to be happy and won't stand in his way. Just let him do the work of it....let it sink in with him.... <P>They are not really happy Jo, just stuck...and in turmoil within themselves.<P>Give them wings and let them discover for themselves which direction is the "right" direction.

Joined: Apr 1999
Posts: 5,798
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Apr 1999
Posts: 5,798
When I was "reading up" on divorce, one thing that was stated over and over was that after the second marriage many had the opinion that if they knew what the second marriage would be like, they would have worked a whole lot harder on the first.<P>Second marriages have a higher divorce rate than first marriages. Second marriages to an affair partner begun during a previous marriage have an abysmal, and even higher divorce rate. Is it guilt? It's *something*, could be a personal lacking, inability to be a good/faithful partner, choosing unwisely, etc.<P>I know one of the considerations in setting aside our divorce paperwork was that with kids, we'd still be dealing with each other the rest of our lives, really neither of us wanted an OM or OW involved with our kids.<P>------------------<BR>Lor<BR>"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."<BR>(Proverbs 15:1).

Joined: Aug 1999
Posts: 6,107
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Aug 1999
Posts: 6,107
Hi Jo,<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>So my question is for either WS or for BS, will a D relieve the gulit my H feels for all the transgressions????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>In a word, NO.<P>But here's what it will do. It will offer a fresh start. It reminds me of a bankruptcy. It haunts you and follows you, but you get a clean slate. Hopefully you don't make the same mistakes again. But oftentimes, people do make the same mistakes again. <P>I do hope things are looking up for you. You're been through the ringer emotionally.<P>Best wishes to you.

Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 972
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 972
Hi Jo:<P>How are you? I've been worried about you, but I see you're posting and that's good.<P>You know, I can see a D as a release factor for guilt, if H feels like the D is the end of his commitment to you and releases you from your commitment to him.<P>But if you hold firm like Lori did and still maintain that you are still committed no matter what, then the guilt is not relieved.<BR>And somewhere in the back of his mind it will always be there...D, remarriage, whatever, the fact that you were willing to rebuild after he dealt you such a blow.<P>This is exactly what I intend to do, not interfere in any way but stay the committed person I've always been....although he says he will never divorce me. I've always been the kink in OW's perfect plan and I intend to stay that way.<P>Angels and Prayer ~ Faye<P><BR>

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,069
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,069
Hi Faye,<P>Gotta make this a quick one. Have 3:00p meeting. I haven't really slept yet, been 48 hrs and my tush is dragging. I'm so keyed up about my H that I can think a straight thought. I hope I'll be okay.<P>I'm just so curious about what your H has said to you, "He'll never D you". That, in of itself, says so much to me, Faye. He expects you to always be there. He is going to continue this, Faye, until you put your foot down. After hearing what he has said to you, I really do believe this will go on indefinitely. <P>When I get home this evening, I'm going to post to you ome of my thoughts. I know you have a plan already, but maybe there's another direction you can take to get his full attention. <P>I hate to see you in this for so damn long ... I wish to God he'd stop this.<P>Love you,<BR>Jo


Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 472 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,659
Posts2,323,617
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0